Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Does any Ravens fan still think Mattison deserves to stay?

Quote Originally Posted by mrfactoid View Post
    Dc has put the d in that position all year, 3rd-19 blitz to make ben get rid of it fast. common sense. Come on guys the defense pressured ben all day except when we rush 3. Seen that before somewhere.
    You're still missing the argument...Ben numbers against a blitz are WAY better than his numbers against a heavy coverage package.

Also, it's not like he had to wait all day for that to open up. He sits there, waits for the guy to run past Webb, and throws it deep. The only way we break that play with a blitz is Ray Lewis LEAPING OVER/THROUGH the line in a split second, forcing Ben to stumble around so someone else can get to him. We were expecting him to go for a 13-14 yard pass, with a run to get the 1st. So we had a couple options in coverage about 10-12 yards deep, plus the guys covering the deep receivers.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

But not when it mattered the most - 3d and 19.

He was stuffed like a stuffed turkey.

:grbac:

Blog Entries

5 blocking three will do that most times...

except if your 5 is the Ravens OL

Oh man, I have 6 months to crack these jokes...
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

You drop 8 on 3rd and 19 and a receiver gets behind every defender and this is Mattison's fault HOW exactly???

---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

there is not a DC in the league that rushes more than 4 guys in that exact situation...guarantee you that. With 8 guys dropping, the chances of gaining 19+ yards is miniscule. Unfortunately, Webb and Landry slept on the play.

I wouldnt rush 3 anytime. If it works so well why did they rush 5or 6 on our last possesion. and we need a touchdown? Thats the point. Didnt work in new england, Atl, Houston got lucky on that one. didn;t work this time. DC has to take blame for scheme. How many times did they rush 3, How many teams ever rush 3. And 8 still can;t cover 3 receivers. Been proved repeatedly this year. Called insanity 3rd-19 make qb get rid of it quick. we were on him all night except that play.

Such a gigantic fucking FAIL by the players on so many levels it's not funny. This isn't a busted defensive scheme, and it's stupid to suggest that we should have rushed more than 3 players on a 3rd and 19 when a receiver gets by people. Sorry T, I respect you a lot as a fan, but you - and anyone else trying to blame Mattison - are dead f**king wrong.

1) Nakamura gets called for illegal contact. They get a 1st down anyway.

2) Before the ball is thrown, Nakamura contacts his man 17 yards down the field and releases him to the deep safety. Now, you need to fully grasp the magnitude of this stupidity. First, if you're releasing a receiver, it's cause there's someone else short that you're worried about covering. I've got the TV on, paused at the moment he releases his receiver right now. Nakamura is 1/3 of the way from the hash to the sideline, at the Ravens 44. Draw a box from the middle of the has marks to the Ravens 44 to the sideline to the Steeler 30...there is NO receiver there. How Nakamura doesn't turn his hips and run with the receiver is beyond stupid. Second, even if you are covering underneath, it's 3rd and 19...you don't release to cover an underneath route at the 1st down line on third and super-long. TURN YOUR GODDAMNED HIPS AND RUN WITH HIM YOU F**KING IDIOT!

3) Nakamura releasing his receiver freezes Landry to the inside. The reason Landry's late on the outside coverage is cause he has to pick up Nakamura's man. Landry may be - IMO - the worst starting safety in the league, but he's not at fault on this play.

4) Webb completely fails on this play. Brown lines up on the Steeler 37. Webb is on the freakin' 50...seven yards in front of the 1st down marker. Webb doesn't seem to recognize it's a go route till Brown's in full stride on the Ravens 48, Webb on the 42 and Ben starting his throwing motion. This is beyond ridiculous. Watching it in full speed, Brown is in a dead sprint at the Steeler 42 yard line. That's 10 yards of dead sprint he's running before Webb decides he's gonna turn and try to run with him. Naturally, by the time Webb's hit his stride, Brown's behind him. Massive f**king fail by Webb. The only explanation is that he thought he had S help over the top. Which he should have, had Nakamura not released his man to Landry.

So essentially I put 60% of the blame on Nakamura and 40% on Webb for completely blowing that play. Notice how 0% of the 100% total blame goes to Mattison. There's NO excuse for the players not executing on that play. None.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

ok

9. Re: Does any Ravens fan still think Mattison deserves to stay?

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    The failure to rush more than three on the 3rd & long which led to the Steelers winning TD was pathetically fuckin' stupid playcalling. The second I saw three hands in the dirt and obviously no blitz, I knew that the season was over. Roethelisberger had all day, found the receiver on the eight yard line = game over.

C'mon Ravens&Terps & Hokie -- no need to apologize for defending this over-the-hill douchebag in the past season and R+T telling us that the knowledgable football fans know that Mattison was a good coach, but do you not agree that enough is enough? btw: All is forgiven!

Let's hope that the Ravens offseason self appraisal begins with shitcanning Mattison!

I'm blaming Cam for this loss more than Mattison. Mattison has, belive it or not, done a fairly decent job of coaching this year. Our offense refuses to play more than two quarters of football however and it's leaving the defense gasping for air in the fourth quarter.

Fire Cam.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

I have absolutely no problem with Mattison...i did earlier in the season when he wasnt as creative or aggressive but we havent seen that kind of game called since the Houston game. I thought Mattison did a damn good job in this game, Webb cant let a WR get behind him on 3 and 19, period. The defense for the most part was terrific and any capable form of passing offense combined with taking care of the ball wins this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    The failure to rush more than three on the 3rd & long which led to the Steelers winning TD was pathetically fuckin' stupid playcalling. The second I saw three hands in the dirt and obviously no blitz, I knew that the season was over. Roethelisberger had all day, found the receiver on the eight yard line = game over.

C'mon Ravens&Terps & Hokie -- no need to apologize for defending this over-the-hill douchebag in the past season and R+T telling us that the knowledgable football fans know that Mattison was a good coach, but do you not agree that enough is enough? btw: All is forgiven!

Let's hope that the Ravens offseason self appraisal begins with shitcanning Mattison!
    I think Mattison did a fine job this year especially considering the outlook for the secondary going in. The play you mentioned was just poor execution by Webb. You CANT let a guy get behind you in that situation and you have to know that with a three man rush he's probably going to have more time to come open....