Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Does any Ravens fan still think Mattison deserves to stay?

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    The failure to rush more than three on the 3rd & long which led to the Steelers winning TD was pathetically fuckin' stupid playcalling. The second I saw three hands in the dirt and obviously no blitz, I knew that the season was over. Roethelisberger had all day, found the receiver on the eight yard line = game over.

C'mon Ravens&Terps & Hokie -- no need to apologize for defending this over-the-hill douchebag in the past season and R+T telling us that the knowledgable football fans know that Mattison was a good coach, but do you not agree that enough is enough? btw: All is forgiven!

Let's hope that the Ravens offseason self appraisal begins with shitcanning Mattison!
    Mattison is a good coach and just about any DC in the NFL rushes 3 on 3rd and 19.

I guess you ignroe the few 3rd and longs (11+) where we bltized and got burned earlier in the game, huh?

The offense turns the ball over 3 times in one quarter and you're blaming Mattison for the loss. Wow.

Webb and Landry are goats for letting the WR get behind them. That's inexcusable. But Mattison shouldn't be let off the hook there. that was the second or third straight 3rd and long in a row that he only rushed three, and Ben was converting. With their patched together line, we were getting pressure and disrupting him when they rushed 4 or more.

Put it this way, on the Ravens last drive on 3rd and long, does Lebeau go conservative? Nope, they bring the house, sack Flacco, and force 4th and 19. Then he goes conservative, and Flacco, with time, makes a throw that should've resulted in a first down, but TJ.....well....you know. That's for another thread.

Bottom line, that was a bad call by Mattison, compounded by a most inexcusable lack of execution by Webb and Landry.

And all that said, the offense certainly screwed the pooch as well. There's plenty of blame to go around, but again, that's for another thread.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

So out of curiosity, if Webb and Landry play correctly, and say Webb comes up with the pick, do you say it was a bad defensive call then?

I would feel that we were fortunate to make a play there, but I'd still feel that we gave Ben more opportunity than we should've. Filmstudy is the man to ask, but I'd venture to say if you broke down every third and long play this year where we rushed three and dropped 8, more often than not, the result was not good for us.

I just think the coaching staff as a whole tends to go conservative way to quickly, instead of going for the kill, so to speak.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    Webb and Landry are goats for letting the WR get behind them. That's inexcusable. But Mattison shouldn't be let off the hook there. that was the second or third straight 3rd and long in a row that he only rushed three, and Ben was converting. With their patched together line, we were getting pressure and disrupting him when they rushed 4 or more.

Put it this way, on the Ravens last drive on 3rd and long, does Lebeau go conservative? Nope, they bring the house, sack Flacco, and force 4th and 19. Then he goes conservative, and Flacco, with time, makes a throw that should've resulted in a first down, but TJ.....well....you know. That's for another thread.

Bottom line, that was a bad call by Mattison, compounded by a most inexcusable lack of execution by Webb and Landry.

And all that said, the offense certainly screwed the pooch as well. There's plenty of blame to go around, but again, that's for another thread.
    And tell me what is Harukis job on that play?

At least Webb and Landry tried to do their job, Haruki.. oh there is a reciever, ahhhh too tired (yeah it has to be it) so I am giving it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    The offense turns the ball over 3 times in one quarter and you're blaming Mattison for the loss. Wow.
    This.

I'm not particularly a fan of Mattison's but it's absurd to blame the loss on him. I suppose it was Mattison who singlehandedly made the 3rd quarter a turnover fest and continuously gave Roethlisberger a short field? C'mon.

The Ravens' defense actually played pretty well on the day. Not perfectly, and to that extent both Mattison and the players have a share in the blame. That big play on 3rd and 19 was a backbreaker, but the Ravens shouldn't even have been in a position where it could be a backbreaker. The Steelers should've been significantly trailing at that point, and WOULD have been if the Ravens' offense hadn't been been in such a giving mood during the 3rd quarter.

The hard core anti-Mattison/ Rex Ryan-worshipping crowd is merely seeking an excuse to get rid of Mattison. Wait, you say that Rex Ryan won his game and that vindicates you? Really? Wow, in spite of the fact that Sanchez and his offense committed three big turnovers and ...oh wait. The Jets didn't turn the ball over? They didn't give Tom Brady a short field? Huh. Ya think that might have helped their cause?

I feel sorry for the guys on the Ravens defense. But not because of their DC. I feel sorry because the offense let them down.

As for Mattison's returning or not returning, I'm actually pretty ambivalent about it at this time.