Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Re: Why does Mcnair get a free pass?

For you guys that are ready to throw McNair under the bus after two games, maybe you should jump on another teams bandwagon,
    I believe that you may be missing the whole point as to why we created the new board, i.e. to have debates about the Ravens without resorting to insulting one another. I have suffered through a decade of QB mediocrity on this team; I have supported Baltimore football through thick and thin since the Unitas era; possibly attended more live Ravens games than 99.9% of the fans ... and have never wavered on my support to the team. I find a comment like jumping on another teams' bandwagon to be reprehensible. Because I am critical of a 58 rating passing performance? It's my right as a fan to criticize mediocre performance. Why not tell Derrick Mason to jump off the bandwagon - he was more blunt than anyone on this board in assessing our offensive performance as an "F" (and he wasn't referring to the running game).

because like it or not, Boller is still not the starter.
    I don't care who starts as long as we can get a passing game. So far, with the exception of the back-to-back December 2005 night games, we haven't seen a consistent quality passing attack since the 2nd half of the '99 season. I would dearly love to see that factoid changed.

I believe that you may be missing the whole point as to why we created the new board, i.e. to have debates about the Ravens without resorting to insulting one another. I have suffered through a decade of QB mediocrity on this team; I have supported Baltimore football through thick and thin since the Unitas era; possibly attended more live Ravens games than 99.9% of the fans ... and have never wavered on my support to the team. I find a comment like jumping on another teams' bandwagon to be reprehensible. Because I am critical of a 58 rating passing performance? It's my right as a fan to criticize mediocre performance. Why not tell Derrick Mason to jump off the bandwagon - he was more blunt than anyone on this board in assessing our offensive performance as an "F" (and he wasn't referring to the running game).
    Derrick Mason was talking about the Offensive performance as a whole, Did he throw his Quarterback under the Bus? I don't think so. Of course he and the Offense are frustrated with the lack of production, but he did'nt point fingers. Its alot of problems, and McNair was one of them, and I think the more knowledgable of the playbook and surroundings Steve gets, the better the passing game will be, I just feel that everyone is jumping the gun by throwing Mac under the bus, we did expect a slow start from him, did'nt we?

And Mista T, you have been critical of McNair since we aquired him.

BTW, I apologize if the Bandwagon thing insulted you, it was just out of frustration.

Let's clarify that. I was and still am critical of the front office for overspending $33 million for a former great who is, in my opinion, on the decline and injury prone. His apparent inability or unwillingness to throw deep just adds to my criticism of that FO decision. Unlike some others here, I did not see the 33 year old McNair as a major improvement over what we had. Specifically: a solid passing game was put on during the 120 minutes of December night football, giving me some confidence that we were on the verge of fixing the offensive problems after many years. I could not see the logic of decimating our salary cap when it looked like a mere tweak was needed, i.e. a few million per year vet to upgrade over Anthony Wright, with better use of the huge sum of $$$$ towards other needs, such as OL upgrade.

Thus far, the only impressive passing offense we have seen from McNair has been the opening drive at Tampa. I don't think he's demonstrated being worth $33 million since. I sure hope for improvement, or we may not be competitive after the soft part of the schedule is over

As far as McNair himself goes: he tries hard and acts like a professional at all times. I thought that, at ages 25-29, he was in the top ten of NFL QBs. If he can revert to that form and lead a productive offense, I'd be thrilled. I am tired of the same old Ravens offensive ineptitude. I want nothing more than Ravens victories, be it McNair, Boller, Olsen, of TBD taking snaps.

Last edited by Mista T; 09-20-2006 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heap86
    So? What's your point? Mista T has been about clear about his reasons for not liking some aspects of the signing, and expressed them without resorting to the sort of cheap shots that have been so typical of some of the Boller fanatics. I don't see the problem.

In fact, this thread is becoming very familiar. . . think I'll check out the main forum and take a break from this one.

Brett Favre is another example of how the free pass gets applied. Perhaps no QB in NFL history gets the free pass as much as #4.
    I think around the league the free pass on Brett Favre is about done. I've heard a lot of people wrenching their hands over his return this year. The words "holding his team hostage" have been used to describe Brett these days. And you see no one is taking Green Bay as a serious team this year from what I've read.
    Last edited by Greg; 09-20-2006 at 06:09 PM.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I am not critical of McNair, he could have played better but given his newness to the other players (system, shmystem, NFL offenses are very similar from one to another for the most part, just terminology changes) I will cut him some slack.

That being said, Boller didn't get slack after 2 very good performances last year. I don't think the book is written on Boller, he hasn't had a very good OL and up until last year didn't have 2 competent WRs at any time. Then he gets hurt, takes a few weeks to get back to not being rusty and then has 2 very good games before laying an egg with the rest of the team.

Point being, there are plenty of "reasons" for Boller to have not consistently played lights out as well. If those on both sides would cut as much slack for their less favorite QB as they do their own the reasonableness on this board would go way up.

McNair is the better option and unless he gets hurt that won't change.

Sigh.

This whole thread is about McNair getting some sort of free pass.

And despite a few comments, it's pretty obvious that most people are happy with the 2-0 but concerned about the passing offense.

Sure there are those who think this team is already set for the playoffs. You've got to ignore them.

Again, McNair isn't getting this free pass that so many think he is. He's received criticism and will continue to until his play improves.

And no, not as much as Boller would have. Is it really hard to see why? Boller has shown us a pattern of extreme inconsistencies and very slow development.

Do the people who think this double standard exists think that this team is just as good with Boller starting at QB?

PP

Do the people who think this double standard exists think that this team is just as good with Boller starting at QB?
    I do think there is somewhat of a 2x standard, although it is exaggerated in this discussion. There was some mild criticism of the passing game Sunday in the stands and in the media. But there would have been a scalping if Kyle had that type of performance.

As to PP's question: I would expect that this team would have a better passing game under McNair than Boller. Thus far, however, even those who view McNair as the panacea would have to admit that his performance has not been up to the level of Boller's 2005 late season perfomance. McNair should stay as the starter for the next several games, at least, to see if he can get something going, and hopefully the egg he laid last Sunday was just an aberration.

I would much rather to be talking about a 100+ rated passer and our team's Red Zone proficiency.

Gee, that was'nt an attack was it?
    Gee, can we all just stick to the debate about the players, not the posters!

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T
    I do think there is somewhat of a 2x standard, although it is exaggerated in this discussion. There was some mild criticism of the passing game Sunday in the stands and in the media. But there would have been a scalping if Kyle had that type of performance.

As to PP's question: I would expect that this team would have a better passing game under McNair than Boller. Thus far, however, even those who view McNair as the panacea would have to admit that his performance has not been up to the level of Boller's 2005 late season perfomance. McNair should stay as the starter for the next several games, at least, to see if he can get something going, and hopefully the egg he laid last Sunday was just an aberration.

I would much rather to be talking about a 100+ rated passer and our team's Red Zone proficiency.
    I agree with you that a slight double standard exists in the fact that McNair is receiving less flack. However, no free pass has been issued.

I expect the passing game to be better as well and it has been subpar so far. As far as Boller's late season performances. Yes, he played well in 2 games at home. Then he played like a complete dog in the finale vs. Cleveland on the road.

Im with you on the 100+ passer rating. Hell, I'll take 85+.

PP

Yes, he played well in 2 games at home. Then he played like a complete dog in the finale vs. Cleveland on the road.
    I agree, Boller looked pretty good all year at home, but he was a completely different Quarterback on the road. It seemed like he was almost intimidated of other teams fans and staduim. McNair has already proved that he can be poised and focused on the road, which will lead to more wins this year.

If Boller would have had a great game in the season finale last year, I don't think we would even have McNair at this point.

In spite of all this bickering, it seems to me that most of us agree on a few very important points -- we know McNair has a proven track record, we agree that he had a bad game in the home opener, and we think the passing game will improve.

Why don't we give this debate a rest until the next game. When we get into these QB debates, we seem to lose sight of an important fact -- we all want the Ravens to win.

Let's see what happens in the Browns game, and we can pick up this discussion again (if anyone wants to).

How many people were ready for Anthony Wright when Boller went down last Year? Most of our Boller-haters thought he was the end all to the QB woes! He stepped into the Raven offensive blender like every previous quarterback! Not many people left on his wagon are there?
    McNair....ahem..offensive MVP and pro bowler....is expected to take our offense up to the next level through his performance, and quickly. There is an adjustment time, but he should not get a free pass for making terrible and sloppy throws yesterday. These are basics of QB101 and looked bad, yet the Boller-haters would have been calling for his head even with a come back. I am thrilled to have McNair and his potential, but I'm comfortable and ready for Kyle Boller to step in when McNair goes down due to offensive line concerns.