Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 72 of 172
  1. #61

    Re: Why does Mcnair get a free pass?



    purplepoe, I agree with just about all of your post (although I wish we would drop the "hugger" label, because it was always pretty dumb -- anyone who didn't want Boller shot in the head have been given that tag).

    I thought McNair was okay in Tampa, it was just the Raiders game where the passing game, and the offense in general, wasn't very effective. And it wasn't all McNair's fault, obviously. He did have a poor game, but I'm assuming that's all it was, just a bad game -- that has been known to happen, even to good QBs. I agree with your comments about McNair's poise -- however, he has to start making some accurate passes, or the poise won't seem as important. I'm not too worried about that yet, because I'm pretty sure he'll get better as the season rolls on. I am a little concerned over the lack of deep throws, but I'm optimistically hoping that will improve too.

    I don't think McNair is getting a free pass, but at this early point of the season, he does deserve the benefit of the doubt. But as you pointed out yourself, the offense will have to do a lot better when we start playing the really good teams. I'm looking for improvement next week.




  2. #62

    Re: Why does Mcnair get a free pass?

    I just think that both sides are way too extreme.

    Was I hard on Boller? Absolutely and deservedly so I thought.

    And I will also criticize McNair when he plays poorly.

    I think this team is 1-1 if Boller was our starter. I don't believe he would've gone to TB and won. I just don't. It's not because I dislike him or think we really would've won but just can't say it because Boller was the QB. It's looking at his track record on the road. It's realizing that against and aggresive D, he lacks the discipline, poise, and pocket presence to make throws.

    I do believe he would've defeated the Raiders. We won despite our offense on Sunday. Any rational fan will say that. Hell, the players are saying it.

    Of course there are the blind homers who say we'll break 165 and that we're a shoe in for the Super Bowl. Again, extremes.

    As far as McNair and the double standard goes. IMO, Boller's lack of poise and horrible decision making is why I was so critical.

    Even if you are of the belief that there is a double standard, you must admit that McNair is calm and makes MUCH better decisions. And that is what the key to this season will be.

    No matter what QB is playing, they aren't going to put up huge numbers. Period.

    I never expected McNair to.

    PP




  3. #63
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Parkville, MD
    Posts
    2,158

    Re: Why does Mcnair get a free pass?

    Who's making excuses for McNair? The majority (and vast majority at that) of the fans I've heard at the game, on the radio, and in general have been VERY critical of McNair.
    Are you serious? Read the threads on both boards. Every excuse that was made for Boller is now being made for Mcnair by the people that dislike Boller.

    I'll give you an example:

    Over on the other board the grades that Tony Lombardi gave the team are posted. He gave Mcnair and F. Here is a little clip from his article:

    Thirty of McNair’s 143 passing yards came on a dump off to Musa Smith who made a nice play to pick up yardage after his catch of the short pass. Another 30 on a hitch to Mark Clayton who ran about 25 yards on his own.
    Here's a response to the above clip:

    Somebody should tell "TL" that these yards still count. Thats like when Butch Davis said "If not for those 5 plays, Lewis wouldn't have had 295 yards".
    So all of a sudden these "yards" count. There was a time when a certain QB would dump the ball off to have a player run for 30 yards and those "yards" didn't count for that certain QB. They were given to the player that made the play. Now all of a sudden Mcnair is getting credit for those yards for getting the player the ball even though that player made that play.

    Look we all know that if Boller had been the QB of the Raiders game he would be getting blasted right now. Since Mcnair is the QB now he is getting every excuse that was made for Boller.

    We all knew this was going to happen. Now the Boller haters will be labeled as Mcnair huggers, and the Boller huggers will be labeled as Mcnair haters. It's just funny to see people switch positions all of a sudden.




  4. #64
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    SW Florida (Venice area)
    Posts
    532

    Re: Why does Mcnair get a free pass?

    Uh oh, This is the closest thing we have had to a 'non-civil' thread so far. (other than in the smack section) You see whay happens when the second-person singular tense gets used? I will say one thing for the haters' benefit though...karma/payback is a bitch

    If the defense continues at THIS level (unlikely) we can have McNair, Boller, Kordelia, or Rosie O'Donnel at quarterback and it won't matter. Very few teams win games without scoring touchdowns, andhow many have we allowed so far? Jax last night is the exception to the rule.
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM




  5. #65

    Re: Why does Mcnair get a free pass?

    Quote Originally Posted by TTRaven
    Are you serious? Read the threads on both boards. Every excuse that was made for Boller is now being made for Mcnair by the people that dislike Boller.

    I'll give you an example:

    Over on the other board the grades that Tony Lombardi gave the team are posted. He gave Mcnair and F. Here is a little clip from his article:



    Here's a response to the above clip:



    So all of a sudden these "yards" count. There was a time when a certain QB would dump the ball off to have a player run for 30 yards and those "yards" didn't count for that certain QB. They were given to the player that made the play. Now all of a sudden Mcnair is getting credit for those yards for getting the player the ball even though that player made that play.

    Look we all know that if Boller had been the QB of the Raiders game he would be getting blasted right now. Since Mcnair is the QB now he is getting every excuse that was made for Boller.

    We all knew this was going to happen. Now the Boller haters will be labeled as Mcnair huggers, and the Boller huggers will be labeled as Mcnair haters. It's just funny to see people switch positions all of a sudden.
    TT

    Answer me this question.

    Are we 2-0 if Boller is our starter?

    If you think so, that's fine. I don't think we are.

    I said McNair would win us 4 more games than Boller. TB was one of those four.

    I think I've made my points about this.

    Of course there are people who will find ways to bash Boller at any point. Im just telling you what Im hearing. I rarely hang out at the other board because it's a complete cluster F.

    Knowledgeable fans will acknowledge that fact that McNair needs to improve and that this team is far from a lock for anything.



    PP




  6. #66
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Parkville, MD
    Posts
    2,158

    Re: Why does Mcnair get a free pass?

    Are we 2-0 if Boller is our starter?
    Honestly yes, but the games would have been a lot closer. We wouldn't have dominated both games. With Mcnair we have a guy that knows how to get out of trouble. He's not going to take a sack or make a mistake under pressure. His presence in the pocket is the reason why we were able to win so big in both games.




  7. #67
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mesa Arizona
    Posts
    537

    Re: Why does Mcnair get a free pass?

    Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe

    Even if you are of the belief that there is a double standard, you must admit that McNair is calm and makes MUCH better decisions. And that is what the key to this season will be.

    No matter what QB is playing, they aren't going to put up huge numbers. Period.

    I never expected McNair to.

    PP
    Yes Poe, I must admit that McNair is totally calm and poised as he is throwing the ball at the receivers feet or overthrowing them. It is a stellar improvement. (I'm sorry, I try to stay totally away from the endless quarterback debates but I couldn't resist ~ the devil made me do it )

    As far as not scoring points, if I'm not mistaken I believe it was Mr McNair who promised Mr Lewis 24 points a game. I guess perhaps he was expecting the defense to kick in half.

    Not a hugger or hater, just acknowledging that the double standard does exist.




  8. #68

    Re: Why does Mcnair get a free pass?

    Quote Originally Posted by TTRaven
    Honestly yes, but the games would have been a lot closer. We wouldn't have dominated both games. With Mcnair we have a guy that knows how to get out of trouble. He's not going to take a sack or make a mistake under pressure. His presence in the pocket is the reason why we were able to win so big in both games.
    OK.

    So that's the crux of this whole thing then.

    You think that Boller wins in TB.

    I disagree. I have yet to see Boller go into another teams stadium, especially a team with a D like TBs, and sniff a win.

    If Boller was in there, I think TB changes their whole defensive scheme. And I believe we would've been left with what we've seen on the road for the past year and a half.

    PP




  9. #69
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Parkville, MD
    Posts
    2,158

    Re: Why does Mcnair get a free pass?

    Even if you are of the belief that there is a double standard, you must admit that McNair is calm and makes MUCH better decisions. And that is what the key to this season will be.
    I don't think you're going to find anyone that disagrees with you on this. Mcnair is calm and makes better decisions which we should expect from a player with his accomplishments.




  10. #70

    Re: Why does Mcnair get a free pass?

    Quote Originally Posted by AZRAVEN
    Yes Poe, I must admit that McNair is totally calm and poised as he is throwing the ball at the receivers feet or overthrowing them. It is a stellar improvement. (I'm sorry, I try to stay totally away from the endless quarterback debates but I couldn't resist ~ the devil made me do it )

    As far as not scoring points, if I'm not mistaken I believe it was Mr McNair who promised Mr Lewis 24 points a game. I guess perhaps he was expecting the defense to kick in half.

    Not a hugger or hater, just acknowledging that the double standard does exist.


    Even TT acknowledges McNair's poise etc......

    I guess my points about McNair needing to improve goes unread by some.

    I'll ask you AZ.

    Do you think Boller wins that game in TB?

    Again, IMO McNair makes us 4 games better than last season and TB was one of those games.

    I guess you can't be objective and see things the way they are.

    Seems like you must in one corner or the other.

    Because McNair is getting plenty of attention around here for his POOR play. He surely isn't getting praised as some would like to think.

    PP




  11. #71

    Re: Why does Mcnair get a free pass?

    Quote Originally Posted by TTRaven
    I don't think you're going to find anyone that disagrees with you on this. Mcnair is calm and makes better decisions which we should expect from a player with his accomplishments.
    Exactly man.

    And he needs to improve his throws.

    Only the blind think everything is fine.

    Maybe I just ignore people like that now.

    Honestly, I really don't see McNair getting any praise.

    What I will agree with is that he's not getting as much heat as Boller would but it's not a free pass.

    Mabye it's semantics.

    PP




  12. #72
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    A. A. Co.
    Posts
    248

    Re: Why does Mcnair get a free pass?

    Be happy. We're 2-0.
    Skins & Steelers suck! Life is very good!
    I BLEED RAVEN PURPLE!!!




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland