Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Re: Why does Mcnair get a free pass?

Are you telling us that if Boller went 2-0 with those same stats, and watching that offense on Sunday actually go backwards twice in a row, you would be saying the same thing? My experience with the forum you don't want to bring up anymore says no my friend.
    Bring up the forum if you want I just thought you wanted to keep it civil. Pointing back to the past "arguement" will only lead to bad feelings. I was just suggesting starting fresh and I just dont want to get into the "YOU DID THIS or THAT" game.

If you want to look at two drives that went backwards, that is your prerogative. McNair is going to have some bad games, luckily a bad game was erased by a win. The games are in the books,and yes, if boller was the starter and he went 2-0 I would be giving him some slack especially if the Defense played so dominant.

GOD BLESS RAY LEWIS AND STEVE MCNAIR

Bring up the forum if you want I just thought you wanted to keep it civil. Pointing back to the past "arguement" will only lead to bad feelings. I was just suggesting starting fresh and I just dont want to get into the "YOU DID THIS or THAT" game.
    I can keep it civil. But the point is that that doesn't mean we didn't have conversations over there about this. Our history of talking about this has to play a factor. We've been civil. You haven't accused me of being Boller. ;)

If you want to look at two drives that went backwards, that is your prerogative.
    And it's not two drives that went backwards. How about 7 punts, or only getting field goals in 3 consecutive drives inside the 40, including one at the 29? How about 3 - 3 and out drives that netted 5 yards?

None of this concerns you at all? And keep in mind this isn't totally on McNair. It's the same thing I've complained about over and over. Mike Flynn getting blown up, so he has to hold on a 1 yard run and nullify a touchdown. Then they get a delay of game penalty. Seriously, against a better team, this is not a win.

I think we may be missing the entire forest by examining the trees. What was the biggest difference in this team going into both games this year? I'd suggest that it was confidence. Not only by the offense, in the offense, by the D believed the offense would finally be able to give them a chance to win games.

This difference didn't and would not have existed w/o McNair. Remember, this is a defense that McNair has carved up for years. They knew him. As for the offense, have we forgotten the morose that pervaded this team last year and even into the mini camps?

Would we be 2-0 w/o McNair? I don't know at all. We couldn't beat teams of this caliber last year. What has changed other than Mac9? According to team members, it is McNair that has given them a spark.

This is a totally different team with McNair ath the helm. Even a McNair that struggled for a game. Does that change if he struggles for two or three more games. Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe

I'll ask you AZ.

Do you think Boller wins that game in TB?

PP
    Yes. If I recall correctly, the Bucs got ZERO points. Boller and Stover alone would have topped that.

Now departing useless hindsight mode.
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

As much as I and we all hate him, in Preston's Q&A he makes a good point.

Chris and Chris. You're starting trouble. I didn't want to mention "My Man" Kyle's name, but I have to answer your question. The first game I gave McNair a C+. He would have gotten a C, but he threw a late touchdown pass. Against Oakland, I gave him a D. So, we're on the same page. Now, so far, here's the differences between McNair and "My Man" Kyle. McNair has better pocket awareness and anyone can see that this team plays with more confidence with McNair in the lineup. As far as accuracy, there isn't much difference. Boller threw balls to the opposition, McNair throws them in the dirt. With that said, you expected McNair to have a slow start. The Ravens signed him late, and he is learning a new offense. Regardless of if he has been around since Moses, it takes time to learn where your receivers are going to be. Basically, McNair gets a free pass up until the midseason. As of right now, he is struggling but the Ravens are 2-0.

Right?
    I guess I'm not the only one who sees that he still needs time, I expected him to start out slow.

According to team members, it is McNair that has given them a spark.
    It hasn't sparked his offensive line, that's for sure.

I'm trying really hard to resist getting really involved in this thread.

I will say that I agree completely with Poe...especially his point about the QB's record against Tampa.

It's nice to say that we would have beaten them as soundly IF KYLE PLAYED MANAGED THE GAME THE SAME WAY STEVE DID. But I have a hard time beleiving that Kyle wouldn't have become rattled at some point and committed a crucial TO that may have completely changed the complexion of the game...and I base that opinion on watching Kyle when he plays on the road...he just is a very poor road QB.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG
    It hasn't sparked his offensive line, that's for sure.
    They haven't been the bulging siv that most expected.

Since this thread is many pages deep, I'm sure nothing I'll say hasn't already been said. But the reason McNair gets a free pass is because of his body of work as compared to Kyle's body of work. McNair has rightfully been regarded as an excellent quarterback for many, many years. So naturally, when he isn't excellent, we feel there must be a good reason for it. When Boller plays poorly, we just expect it. And that's the difference.

Brett Favre is another example of how the free pass gets applied. Perhaps no QB in NFL history gets the free pass as much as #4.

If McNair continues to struggle, the free pass should be taken away. But given his past, it's reasonable to expect he won't struggle like this for much longer, unless of course he's at the end of the road.

The Boller Huggers will not cut McNair an inch of slack. Anything other than a MVP type performance from McNair will not be acceptable to them.

The Boller Huggers will not cut McNair an inch of slack.
    Perhaps the fan's expectations are indeed somewhat higher higher after investing $33 million.

Anything other than a MVP type performance from McNair will not be acceptable to them.
    That's a totally unfounded statement. Not a single post mentioned expecting an MVP.

However, the expectation has to be higher than last Sunday's performance which resulted in a 58 rating with multiple Red Zone failures. We will have a tough time competing in this Division if passing is not improved. Only playing great Defense and 100 yards rushing offense is not going to do it.

However, the expectation has to be higher than last Sunday's performance which resulted in a 58 rating with multiple Red Zone failures. We will have a tough time competing in this Division if passing is not improved. Only playing great Defense and 100 yards rushing offense is not going to do it.
    Did you really expect McNair to start off the season a 100% in control of the Offense and the Playbook? I didn't, and most of you expected the same thing. But once again you guys are complaining about something you expected, go figure.

Like I have said many times since Sunday, I am not happy with McNair's performance, but I am going to cut him some slack because he is still learning the offense, but alot of you guys are not willing to do that. I cut Boller alot of slack when he first started out, but after that there was no slack to cut him. For you guys that are ready to throw McNair under the bus after two games, maybe you should jump on another teams bandwagon, because like it or not, Boller is still not the starter.

Once again I will point out Mike Preston's quote, and I may add that it is the only time I have ever agreed with the man

Chris and Chris. You're starting trouble. I didn't want to mention "My Man" Kyle's name, but I have to answer your question. The first game I gave McNair a C+. He would have gotten a C, but he threw a late touchdown pass. Against Oakland, I gave him a D. So, we're on the same page. Now, so far, here's the differences between McNair and "My Man" Kyle. McNair has better pocket awareness and anyone can see that this team plays with more confidence with McNair in the lineup. As far as accuracy, there isn't much difference. Boller threw balls to the opposition, McNair throws them in the dirt. With that said, you expected McNair to have a slow start. The Ravens signed him late, and he is learning a new offense. Regardless of if he has been around since Moses, it takes time to learn where your receivers are going to be. Basically, McNair gets a free pass up until the midseason. As of right now, he is struggling but the Ravens are 2-0.

Right?
    Last edited by Heap86; 09-20-2006 at 11:41 AM.