Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Why does Mcnair get a free pass?

HW I'm not sure what is funny about last year. Last year We were horrible as a unit can be, nothing funny there. The thing that stands out to me is that ray and Steve were not in the picture. The good news as ravens fans is we can expect good things from proven veterans. With a horrible o-line, mcnair and ray have our team at 2-0.

On this board I don't make distinction between two camps or groups ( hugger or haters) I tend to look at it as if we are all here to have intelligent conversations about our beloved Baltimore ravens. The way i look at it :A win is a win is a win.

Id say the same no matter who was Q'ing

So, please, let's not get get into speculation as to how other fans are enjoying the season while we debate the QB getting a free pass after a mediocre performance. Winning, ugly or not, is winning
    The speculation is valid for all the reason I provided above. If you feel you are enjoying the season, that's cool and I'm happy you are enjoying the season. I guess I revel in wins rather than nick pick a proven qb salary or if he had bad day while still pulling out a victory. However Some people want to see our QB fall on his face and it is clear as day to me.

GOD BLESS RAY LEWIS AND STEVE MCNAIR

It's pretty simple. You can enjoy beating up on the Sisters of the Poor in the NFL but if you have deep playoff expectations then McNair's performance last Sunday and to a lesser degree against Tampa is reason for concern.

Many fans seemed to think that replacing Kyle would mean instant SB contention. When AW finally played they were proved wrong.

Then they said we just needed anyone other than those 2. Now McNair shows up and lays an egg against a poor team. Right now we are good enough to make the playoffs but if he continues to look like that we'll be one and done.

I'm not saying he and the offense won't get better, but Sunday's game did throw up the same red flags we've seen before.

As I said in another thread, weeks 4, 5 and 6 will give us a better idea of where we stand.

FHRaven

It's just amazing how people all of a sudden change their tune. Every excuse that us Boller fans were accused of using are now being used by the non Boller fans for Mcnair. Now we have people claiming that we're not enjoying the season because we are being critical of Mcnair. Does that mean that you were not enjoying the past 3 seasons of NFL football when Boller was at the helm?

FHRaven is dead on. Yes, a win is a win is a win. 2-0 is a nice place to be. But the point was that the team looks the same even with a new high-priced former MVP QB at the helm.

Brian Billick said it perfectly yesterday. If Boller put in the same performance yesterday, there would be all kinds of commentary about it on Monday. I think that is the heart of what TT is trying to say. Not that you can compare the two. The team still has legit concerns about it. And right now it's masked by 2 wins against poor playing teams.

Crazy, I don't believe we beat Cincy if that was the game on Sunday. Cincy has a running game and a QB. We knocked out Aaron Brooks before mid 1st quarter, not that it mattered. :) I just think if our offense went backwards 18 yards in two consecutive possessions against the Bengals, we lose that game.

And the other point I think TT was trying to make is that last year if Boller-led offense actually lost yards like that, it would be a bloodletting in the forums. But McNair doing it, it's no big deal. That is a little hypocritical, especially SINCE McNair is a 12 year MVP vet.

Anyway, let's look at the bright side. Cleveland fans are already chaulking us up as a loss next Sunday. :)

And the other point I think TT was trying to make is that last year if Boller-led offense actually lost yards like that, it would be a bloodletting in the forums. But McNair doing it, it's no big deal. That is a little hypocritical, especially SINCE McNair is a 12 year MVP vet.
    I don't think we have ever been 2-0 with any other qb in the last 3 years. Unless I'm mistaken, we haven't started out 2-0 and bitched about the QB play in that time period? Think about where we would have been in 2004 if we were able to beat the browns in the opener. There is a difference in LEADERSHIP that people are totally missing and the beauty of it is that its only going to get better as time goes forward. Other than that I dont know what TT or anyone who agrees with him is looking for....Honestly.

Well, the other side of that coin though Crazy are the people that you also sided with on YBR that totally dismissed the 2004 Ravens being 7-3 before hitting their skid. Those same people said that the team won DESPITE Boller. You know who I'm talking about. Now all of a sudden we're 2-0 DESPITE McNair's-run offense, and magically the circumstances are somehow different.

That continues to be the point. And again, Sunday's performance by our offensive unit won't fly against San Diego, Cincinatti, Pittsburgh (well, maybe it will based on last night's game), or any other well-playing NFL team.

There is a difference in LEADERSHIP that people are totally missing and the beauty of it is that its only going to get better as time goes forward.
    I don't buy into that. "Leadership" and "intangibles" are subjective terms that are often tossed about by sportswriters when QBs no longer have the physical tools to deliver. To put it succinctly: I'd rather have a QB with a 90s-100s rating without the so-called leadership skills than one who performs at 58, no matter how he leads. The guy with the 90s-100s rating will win a lot more ball games.

Due to all the years he has won. This year he's coming into a new system. Don't worry he'll be fine. Hang in there better times are coming.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG
    Well, the other side of that coin though Crazy are the people that you also sided with on YBR that totally dismissed the 2004 Ravens being 7-3 before hitting their skid.
    Lets not bring up YBR into this. on this site we have intelligent banter with out having to bring up dirty laundry. Sting you even said yourself that you have signed off YBR and to never return, so lets drop all the old arguements. We are all starting out fresh.

As for a 7-3 record in 2004 you are correct it was a nice start but then some where in the remaining games came the bengals game where we were torched and when we needed a TD the qb at the helm was not able to deliver. 7-3 is a nice stat but down the stretch we only won 2 more games. I'd suggest we compare the current 2 game stretch instead of a 10 game stretch that blew up in our face. Only because we have the recent data.

We won 2 games and we scored some TDs. The defense has allowed 6 points in 2 games. lets rejoice. Ravens fans can be critical but at the same time why are we spinning our wheels?

GOD BLESS RAY LEWIS AND STEVE MCNAIR

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG
    FHRaven is dead on. Yes, a win is a win is a win. 2-0 is a nice place to be. But the point was that the team looks the same even with a new high-priced former MVP QB at the helm.
    Actually, the real difference between this year and last year (so far) has been the defense, which has been dominating. Having a healthy Ray Lewis and a healthy Ed Reed makes a pretty big difference. If they had been healthy last season, we would have won more games.

But the offense, on the other hand, has not looked much better, in spite of having what appear to be better players, at least at skill positions. And as TTRaven said:

Every excuse that us Boller fans were accused of using are now being used by the non Boller fans for Mcnair.

That is what is really annoying about these head-in-the-sand fans that say everything is perfect -- win or loss, they whined like infants last year about Boller. When the Ravens beat Houston last year on a last minute drive, some fans complained -- "The Texans are terrible, this doesn't prove anything, whimper, etc." Well, guess what, hypocrites, the Raiders are terrible too. Look, even the players on offense themselves basically said they sucked on Sunday, so I can't see how anyone in their right mind could have a problem with us agreeing with them.

LOL at anyone claiming he can't understand why we aren't "enjoying the season." Tell that to Derrick Mason.

The Bucs and Oakland have very bad defenses
    I stopped reading you post after this phrase. One of those two Defenses was #1 last year.

As for you other guys, You seem dead set on avenging those individuals who bashed Boller in the past, Are you guys in love with Boller or something? Its true to say that it wasn't all Boller's fault, but he was part of the problem.

Whoa Whoa Whoa.

Before all the huggers go crazy about these alledged excuses be thrown around, take a step back.

Who's making excuses for McNair? The majority (and vast majority at that) of the fans I've heard at the game, on the radio, and in general have been VERY critical of McNair.

His play has been subpar overall and needs to improve. And I think most everyone here knows my opinion of our other QB.

The offense, particularly against Oakland, was borderline awful and will not get it done vs. the big boys.

The TB game was OK and it was week 1 on the road. Let's all remember what this team had done on the road lately and over the years when they started the season on the road.

McNair's accuracy and overall passing game hasn't been good but his pocket presence and poise (the 2 things I expected and wanted the most) are there. Im not sure what others expectations of McNair were but I bet he won't meet alot of them. What I expected and still expect is a decent passing game when it's all said and done. Some people just flew off the handle when we got him and expected 3500 yds and 25 TDs when really, he's never put up huge numbers.

As far as this double standard talk. All I have to say about that is if Boller did what McNair did in TB, I would've been fine. I don't care what Billick says. I also think people on this board have taken it overboard. Seriously folks. If Boller completed 64% of his passes with a TD and no picks on the road against TB, most people would've been fine with it. I know I would. It was a very meaningful game. Would some people pick apart Boller after that game? I guess, but surely not alot and definitely not the haters as a whole.

If you want to talk about the Oakland game, you've got more of an argument. Flynn holding on the 1 is neither McNair's fault nor would it have been Bollers. Nor would the false start and not enough men on the line penalties. The Raiders brought heat all day and McNair felt it. He avoided numerous sacks but didn't make the throws he needs too. The INT was ill advised but it wasn't a game changer and that is what really killed us in the past.

Again, I wanted poise and pocket presence and I think we've gotten it. We are 2-0 against 2 bad teams. We play another bad team this week and I expect the offense to play much better then and in the subsequent weeks.

But McNair isn't getting a free pass like some here are implying.

PP