Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tagliabue vs Goodell

I've never been one to buy into conspiracy theories, but I have been waiting to see if the league treated us any different once he was gone. Sure enough, immediately we get the best schedule ever with more national exposure than any other year that I am aware of. I'm still rather shocked by it.

Now I just really have to wonder if there really is something to it that Tags was dragging us down all those years. You could say we had a good year, but we won the freaking Superbowl and had a worse schedule than this.

On the flip side Billick will need a new shtick. The "no respect" angle just isn't going to fly anymore.
    Last edited by ChrisQ; 04-11-2007 at 11:25 PM.

Re: Tagliabue vs Goodall

A couple of points. I'll start with the nit picky one.

1. It is spelled Goodell not Goodall.

2. I agree with you that whenever Tags could short change us, he did.

3. If Tom Brady can still pull out the "no respect" card, and he did recently, than it is definetly still in Billick's playbook. Besides with Mike Preston around there will always be at least 1 person who doesn't respect the Ravens.

I've never been one to buy into conspiracy theories, but I have been waiting to see if the league treated us any different once he was gone. Sure enough, immediately we get the best schedule ever with more national exposure than any other year that I am aware of. I'm still rather shocked by it.
    I'm not sure if national exposure is an attempt at being treated differently. Clearly we are on national TV, alot. But MNF isnt what it was and NBC has taken over the spotlight game of the week. On Dec 9th we are in a flex game and we could very well be bumped in favor of another game.

Tags gets a lot blame around here but I think hes done a lot for the league, regardless of what you think about the Baltimore situation. I blame the Skins and Cooke for alot of the problems after the colts left town.

Goodell just arrived so lets give him some time to get his hands dirty. He seems like a class act at the moment.
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis
    No, Thank you Ray... :ww:
    -->^78F$09U&67D!45A#54R87B)89V<--

The is one of the first thinga I noticed was the placement of the West Coast trips. There is no MNF followed by a Thursday nite game, the BYE is in a good place and there are prime time games. My only real beef is the lack of home games in OCT and the 2 nite games in Dec, but I would loke to think the placement of the West Coast games had something to do with it.

What did he do for the NFL that was so great?
    I think the best thing he did was create harmony between the owners and players, with the players accepting a salary cap. By keeping Players and owners at bay, he was able to broker deals with the TV networks for Billions.

Plus we won a superbowl during his watch
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by crazyraven View Post
    I think the best thing he did was create harmony between the owners and players, with the players accepting a salary cap. By keeping Players and owners at bay, he was able to broker deals with the TV networks for Billions.

re the salary cap; that's a huge plus for the NFL; middle and small market teams like the Packers and Panthers can be successful. think we'll ever see World Series teams again in Milwaukee or Kansas City?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyraven View Post

I don't think Scagliaclueless had anything to do with creating "harmony between the owners and players". That was accomplished when the Owners forced them to harmonize in 87, 88 ? I can't remember exactly, but the players went on strike in the middle of the season and the owners said SeeYa, fielded teams with scab players and the season kept rolling along, not missing a beat! The fans apparently didn't care who was on the feild as long as they got their football fix! When the players finally realized this, and figured out they were out of a job, they came groveling back on their hands and knees begging the owners for any deal they would give them! I have no respect at all for Scagliaclueless and its really going to piss me off when he gets into the Hall before Art! The only hall he belongs in is the hallway at Jack Kent Cooke's house on his worn out knee pads!
    ... They shall mount up with wings as Eagles;

Tags became the commish in 89, There were no strikes on his watch. Upshaw and Tags worked together were Rosell and Upshaw were always going into strike modes when ever the CBA came around.

I can't remember exactly, but the players went on strike in the middle of the season and the owners said SeeYa, fielded teams with scab players and the season kept rolling along, not missing a beat!
    I dont know about that. True it rolled on but did anyone really care or show up to the games? This happened when I was young and I remember not watching until the pros came back. At the time the tv stations were forced to show the games, where I think now they are not obligated to do so.

I have no respect at all for Scagliaclueless and its really going to piss me off when he gets into the Hall before Art!
    Art is great and I believe he belongs in the Hall but I have a feeling Tags will be there way before him. Tags should be a slam dunk for the HOF.