Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: Mel's big board is up for 2011

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRaven View Post
    Anyone else wishing we'd taken Dunlap over Kindle? I know at the time that's what I wanted...
    I can honestly say this (you'll have to take my word). I was sitting on my couch expecting us to take Dunlap (I couldn't believe he fell that far), and was shocked at the pick of Kindle given some concerns over his knee.

I was very high on this draft class, and while I still believe this one will be really good, they haven't made the impact I had hoped as of yet. Part of that, I believe is due to a conservative coaching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by CRZA938 View Post
    I was very high on this draft class, and while I still believe this one will be really good, they haven't made the impact I had hoped as of yet.
    Other than Kindle's stairwell adventure, this class has provided pretty much exactly what I had expected.

Cody is getting more snaps per game as the season goes on and his tackle totals are about what you'd expect based on his college production. (He played 2 seasons and racked up about 50 tackles, 19 solo. This season he had 4 tackles in his only start and 13 on the year.) His job is to be a space eater and let the linebackers run. He's done that pretty well.

Dickson played very well in his 3 starts, and looks like a good option to replace Todd Heap as his career winds down.

Pitta is the 3rd TE on a team with 7 pro bowlers at the skill positions, the only way he makes an impact outside of special teams is if something goes horribly wrong with our starters either through injury or non-production.

Reed is developing into a capable return man. He's in the same situation as Pitta with regards to his ability to crack the starting lineup. Only way he gets meaningful snaps is injury to several guys.

Everyone else is a late rounder and only bad teams expect late rounders to contribute. Art Jones is exceeding expectations based on his draft spot and Harewood is going to get a long look next offseason at RT.

Frankly I think unreasonable expectations played a large part in people's belief that this draft class is anything but adequate.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Frankly I think unreasonable expectations played a large part in people's belief that this draft class is anything but adequate.
    Point well taken, but when you see the impact Gronkowski and Hernandez are having in NE, it makes it more difficult to keep your expectations in check.

As we've said a number of times it really takes a few years to determine how successful a class really is so we will see...

Quote Originally Posted by CRZA938 View Post
    Point well taken, but when you see the impact Gronkowski and Hernandez are having in NE, it makes it more difficult to keep your expectations in check.

As we've said a number of times it really takes a few years to determine how successful a class really is so we will see...
    Not just New England, all over the league. See our next opponent.

Joe Staley was the OT's name, SF picked before we got Grubbs.
    Last edited by jonboy79; 01-09-2011 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Not just New England, all over the league. See our next opponent.
    Name the former pro bowl veterans on KC's or New England's roster who those rookies pushed off the field.

Cody has to supplant Gregg before he can start regularly. Dickson has to supplant Heap.

When they filled in because of injury to those guys they played well. What else do you want? Some teams draft for starters others draft for depth. Todd Heap caught how many balls his rookie year?
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Agreed. The Ravens have been drafting to smooth out imperfections in specific gaps, rather than needing to bring in a huge difference-maker to turn around a glaring problem like most teams have to.

Despite the nay-saying, the sometimes sputtering offense, and the blown 4th quarter leads, this team is still 12-4. And really should have won the division with that record. Pitt got lucky as all freaking hell a couple times to finish with the same record.

Fact is the Ravens haven't needed many draft picks to come in and produce right away the past couple seasons. Oher comes to mind, but outside of that there hasn't been much need for rookies to plug in and produce. Even Flacco wasn't scheduled to start as a rookie, though injuries ended up forcing the issue.

That's because this is a really good football team, something a lot of Raven fans seem not to realize.

Name the former pro bowl veterans on KC's or New England's roster who those rookies pushed off the field.

Cody has to supplant Gregg before he can start regularly. Dickson has to supplant Heap.

When they filled in because of injury to those guys they played well. What else do you want? Some teams draft for starters others draft for depth. Todd Heap caught how many balls his rookie year?
    Dickson had his chances to get on the field WITH Heap, and he immediately forced the team into other formations. If he had not been a complete liability as a blocker, he would have gotten MUCH more playing time, but the dropoff as a blocker supplanted his extra value as a receiver in regards to LeRon McLain. He forced the team OUT of two TE sets.

Gregg is a shell of his ofrmer self, and McKinney hasn't stepped forward from his adequacy. Cody hasn't climbed a short ladder. Ngata is obviously a beast, but we play with Multiple DT types on almost every play. In he snaps he's gotten, Cody has not shown he deserves any more then anyone else.

It's not a done deal terrible draft, but it's certainly underwhelming at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    Agreed. The Ravens have been drafting to smooth out imperfections in specific gaps, rather than needing to bring in a huge difference-maker to turn around a glaring problem like most teams have to.

Despite the nay-saying, the sometimes sputtering offense, and the blown 4th quarter leads, this team is still 12-4. And really should have won the division with that record. Pitt got lucky as all freaking hell a couple times to finish with the same record.

Fact is the Ravens haven't needed many draft picks to come in and produce right away the past couple seasons. Oher comes to mind, but outside of that there hasn't been much need for rookies to plug in and produce. Even Flacco wasn't scheduled to start as a rookie, though injuries ended up forcing the issue.

That's because this is a really good football team, something a lot of Raven fans seem not to realize.

There is a difference between NEEDING Rookies to perform, and being pleasantly surprised when they do, Our Rookies have had opportunities, and on some rare occasions have. Dickson has caught a couple nice passes and Reed ran a kick back.

Msaybe it is unreallistic expectations, but it one of the mos timpactful rookie classes in recent memory, we haven't gotten much impact. I understand we have a good team, but when other playoff teams have been helped so greatly by their rookie classes, it's disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Dickson had his chances to get on the field WITH Heap, and he immediately forced the team into other formations. If he had not been a complete liability as a blocker, he would have gotten MUCH more playing time, but the dropoff as a blocker supplanted his extra value as a receiver in regards to LeRon McLain. He forced the team OUT of two TE sets.

Gregg is a shell of his ofrmer self, and McKinney hasn't stepped forward from his adequacy. Cody hasn't climbed a short ladder. Ngata is obviously a beast, but we play with Multiple DT types on almost every play. In he snaps he's gotten, Cody has not shown he deserves any more then anyone else.

It's not a done deal terrible draft, but it's certainly underwhelming at the moment.
    I just do not think you are correct in your assesments here. With the talent we have at WR and a two time all pro FB, we just were not going to see a ton of 2 TEs sets with a rookie. When Heap was hurt, the rookie showed he could do some things as long as blocking was not one of them.

Cody started earning more snaps as the year went on, but he was not just behind Gregg in the rotation we also have big McKinney in the mix and Kruger in passing situations.

There was simply too many vets playing the same positions to judge how effective the rookies could have been if they had been forced into regular action.

:T2:

Blog Entries

Did anyone see Oher get beat on the sack where Joe lost the ball and then they
    scored? Then his man hit Joe in the back shortly after that.

I cringe at what the Squeelrers will do and still say we need a LOT in the draft and
    move Mike to RT.

And Ozzie better trade up for the best LOT.

I have a feeling the Ravens are going to resign Gaither.

If we do I think the pick is going on the defensive side of the ball. I, personally, want a CB but we need fresh bodies all over the place. Unless Ingram or Julio start a huge slide I don't see us taking offense in the first.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

Gaither said he wants to come back but will it be at RT leaving Mike at LT?