Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
  1. Re: McClain others vent about Ravens' offense

Interesting note Re: Chiefs D...the Chiefs were the worst team in the NFL against the run in the final 8 games of the season.

Re: McClain others vent about Ravens' offense

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    There's six guys with more carries than him, and at 307 att he's not even close to that "Rule of 370" that one would need to be worried about wearing him down. Even if you don't believe in Ro370, he's not at a spot where he's getting so many touches we have to be concerned with it.
    Between his carries and his catches, he's at exactly 370 touches. Not sure if catches generally count as touches but considering how frequently his catches occur behind the line of scrimmage I'd say we should consider them.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Re: McClain others vent about Ravens' offense

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Not sure if catches generally count as touches
    They don't.

Catches and runs are completely different animals. Runs result in a RB running directly at a line of bodies and getting crashed into by linebackers. Most tackles are from guys running the opposite direction into you. Catches are typically resulting in tackles from other directions and nowhere close to the impact of a rush.

FO has a lot of data about the difference and why "Rule of 370" is only regarding carries, not carries + catches. Intuitively it makes sense too if you watch the result of most tackles when Rice carries it vs. when he catches it.

And most of his catches from behind the LoS are dump-offs or screens where he's uncovered and either beyond the OL/DL players or far out to one side of the field.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

4. Re: McClain others vent about Ravens' offense

Cam compared our offense to the 2007 Giants (beat previously undefeated Pats in Super Bowl), and it got me thinking about the similarities between the two teams:

- Several straight years of playoff appearances, but yet to break through to a Super Bowl appearance or victory. Both teams are battle-tested in the playoffs, an underrated quality when it comes to this time of year.

- Both are/were Wild Card teams, with the Giants being the last Wild Card team to win a Super Bowl.

- Up-and-coming QB who has the "can't win big game" monkey on his back. Eli got hot in the playoffs, and was able to move his team through the playoffs.

- Offense is underachieving coming into playoffs, but has veteran talent to be good enough to win it all.

- Team is built around a solid running game and suffocating defense, but needs passing game to move to the next level.

- Close matchup in regular season with "better" Patriots team, who they will/did have to beat to win the Big Game.

- The Giants had to beat their favored divisional rival, Dallas Cowboys, to advance to Conference Championship game.

Am I the only one seeing the similarities between the two teams? Is it wishful thinking? Am I still feeling the effects of the purple Kool-Aid I was Kool-Aid bonging last night??
    Last edited by baltimore_hokie; 01-07-2011 at 10:19 AM.