Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Ravens Likely to Set Franchise Record on Penalties

For those of you who question what Harbaugh does for this team...this would be a shining example of something he's responsible for and he did an amazing job fixing...

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/201...nalty-records/

The Ravens have drawn 83 total flags this season, 13th fewest in the NFL. That’s six fewer than the franchise-low 89 in 2001. They have been penalized for 628 yards, sixth-least in the league. That’s 100 yards short of the team record set in 2001.
    So as long as we get fewer than 6 flags or 100 penalty yards on Sunday, we'll have gone from an ABYSMAL season where we led the league in penalty yards, to the franchise's BEST season for penalties. The discipline is INSANELY better this year. We still have spots that can be corrected, but I chalk this up to good coaching and direction, from Harbaugh, to coordinators, to position coaches.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Re: Ravens Likely to Set Franchise Record on Penalties

Half of the credit goes to good coaching and an environment conducive to discpline.

The remaining half of the credit I'll attribute to the fact that we no longer have Frank Walker.

3. Re: Ravens Likely to Set Franchise Record on Penalties

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    The remaining half of the credit I'll attribute to the fact that we no longer have Frank Walker.
    It seems like this year we've been giving up more big pass plays, too. Far be it from me to say we should bring Walker back. No thanks. But sometimes it's better to have a PI than to give up an 88 yard bomb to Brian St. Pierre.

That pass from St. Pierre was the result of a blown coverage. There wasn't even anyone close enough to have committed PI on that one.

We gave up plenty of big pass plays last year, too. I still remember seeing Walker draped all over Sidney Rice in Minnesota, drawing an obvious flag, and Rice STILL hauled it in for a huge gain. It's true that it's better to commit a penalty than give up a sure TD. The point is, you shouldn't be continually putting yourself in a situation where those are the only choices, and Walker did that far too frequently.

Meh, you take the good with the bad. Playoffs three years in a row, and we've also set quite a few records for offense as well. Cundiff and Koch are breaking NFL records themselves.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    Meh, you take the good with the bad. Playoffs three years in a row, and we've also set quite a few records for offense as well. Cundiff and Koch are breaking NFL records themselves.
    Also, Flacco's on pace to set a team record for passer rating by a starter.
    (With a caveat for a minimum number of games started. Kyle Boller posted a 104 rating for us in 2006, but he only started 5 games.)

Harbaugh has really emphasized cutting the penalties down, big improvement in that area since the Billick years.

8. Re: Ravens Likely to Set Franchise Record on Penalties

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    (With a caveat for a minimum number of games started. Kyle Boller posted a 104 rating for us in 2006, but he only started 5 games.)
    Boller appeared in 5 games. He started none of them. http://www.nfl.com/players/kylebolle...e?id=BOL517890

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick Hiker View Post
    Harbaugh has really emphasized cutting the penalties down, big improvement in that area since the Billick years.
    I would bet this was one of the most frustrating seasons yet for the players and did we hear really anything coming from the locker room? A quip or two but nothing substantial. Even Preston wasn't able to get any really solid mutiny themes going like he could in the Billick years. Harbaugh is closer to putting his stamp on this team. There are just a couple more veterans that need to move on and this will be Harbs team.

Quote Originally Posted by myfavoriteboxer View Post
    Boller appeared in 5 games. He started none of them. http://www.nfl.com/players/kylebolle...e?id=BOL517890
    My mistake then.

So, no caveat at all. Flacco is about to set a team record for passer rating by the starting QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    I would bet this was one of the most frustrating seasons yet for the players
    More frustrating than 2007?

Setting a team record for lowest penalty yards, Joe setting passer rating records, making the playoffs for the 3rd straight year...definitely more ammunition for those who think Harbaugh is not a good coach and should be fired