Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Re: The Good And The Bad

Gregg,
    Gregg was a Bungle, I think a 6th round pick, who was cut (may have been an undrafted FA for them).

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG
    I just did. I'm glad JO is speaking up. He's got to be frustrated too!

You've known me a good while now PR. You know I've complained about the offensive as a whole while everyone else on the old board blamed the entire thing on Boller. Now with a brand new former MVP QB, we're still seeing the exact same offensive. And today, it really was like watching a carbon copy of other games the last few years, Boller and even before that. And that is frustrating. And I know there are people out there, like Gary Stein and his hissy fit today on the radio that we can't compare Boller to McNair because McNair was this and that and so on. Well, on the other hand, shouldn't a QB of McNair's calibur, no matter what the offense, be able to complete more than 50% of his passes for 3.6YPA?

That's why until the offense can prove otherwise to me, I still see the same thing. And it's a shame because if this does keep up, and I pray it doesn't, we will have taken yet another great QB from another team and reduced him to rubble. I don't want to see that again, but I'm not excited about the prospects yet.
    I'm with you Stinger. I walked out yesterday with the same feeling..."different QB, same output". It was the most frustrating win I've ever watched.

8 QBs and yet, most fans (including an idiot 2 seats down from me) now they have an "MVP" QB, wants to make excuses for him. And of course, those excuses didn't hold water for Boller.

IT'S THE OL AND THE OFFENSIVE PHILOSPHY THAT ARE THE PROBLEMS!!!

It was the most frustrating win I've ever watched.
    You guys are a tough crowd. It's game 2 in a purple uniform and while I wasn't thrilled by Mac's performance yesterday either, it is WAY to early to tearing the guy down.

It's only game 2 for McNair, but it's been SIX YEARS of the same stuff. It's not McNair, Boller, Grbac or Difer. It's the system.

And McNair has had PLENTY of reps in the Ravens system. If it were that, you'd see more passes behind the WRs and hesitation in decision making.

McNair's passes yesterday were a lot of worm-burners (mostly because he couldn't step up into his throws due to Flynn & Vincents poor pass protection).

You guys are a tough crowd. It's game 2 in a purple uniform and while I wasn't thrilled by Mac's performance yesterday either, it is WAY to early to tearing the guy down.
    We're tearing the entire offense down. Hell, the offense tore itself down. Look at Preston's report card. Look at Aaron Wilson's article on this site called "SAME OLD SONG AND DANCE". And that's what it was. It's another year of hearing how much the OL has improved and are ready to play, and how Steve Mcnair's simple presense makes them better. Then they step on the field and look just like Mike Flynn and Keydrick Vincent.

It's not just McNair. It's the OL and the philosophy, just as GKB said. I seriously did hear people actually say out loud "New QB, same offense" yesterday as we walked out of the stadium. I am truly not making that up.

And GKB, you sit what, 4 sections down? Why didn't you call????

Well, let's look at the stats though. There is nothing statistically that comes out of today's stats that says Boller would do any worse. He's had plenty of his own games with these-type stats.
    There's no real way to know how Boller would've done because, obviously, he didn't play. You can make the argument you did, or, just as credibly, you can argue Boller likely would've lost his composure when the pocket shrank time after time and - for as many bad throws McNair made or was forced to make yesterday - Boller very well could've had more.

Yes, the passing game left a bad taste in our mouths yesterday, but one overriding point meriting some optimism about the offense is that even when the passing game has an off day, McNair is still able to manage the offense and move the chains consistently. Moving the chains is more important than good passing stats or even scoring more than 1 TD in most cases because it keeps our defense rested, and the defense is still the key to Ravens wins.

Yes, the passing game left a bad taste in our mouths yesterday, but one overriding point meriting some optimism about the offense is that even when the passing game has an off day, McNair is still able to manage the offense and move the chains consistently.
    8 plays, 25 yards, FG
    5 plays, 20 yards, FG
    7 plays, 11 yards, FG

That was with short field. And that's great actually because we all argued that the Colt game last year should have been 9-0 at halftime. But we were sold by the FO and all the fans believed our offense just by having McNair on the field would march down and score touchdowns. At this point the game should have been 21-0 at the most.

Then the rest of the Ravens offense decided to help Steve understand the Raven's system a little better:
    3 plays, 5 yards, Punt
    3 plays, -2 yards, Punt
    3 plays, 2 yards, Punt

Three seperate posessions, 5 total yards,

7 plays, 65 yards, Touchdown

A good drive with was also saved by a GREAT heads up catch by Derrick Mason off the tipped fingers of Todd Heap.

3 plays, -11 yards, Punt
    3 plays, -5 yards, Punt

Yes, -18 yards. That is minus 18.

6 plays, 18 yards, Punt
    7 plays, 11 yards, Field Goal
    1 play, Interception
    6 plays, 17 yards, Punt

So if moving the chains consistent was a factor in yesterday's game, I don't know where it happened other than a spurt here and a spurt there. 7 punts is not moving the chains. Going negative yards on consecutive possessions is not moving the chains.

As far as TOP, there became a point where the offense only had the ball for 1 minute here, 1 minute 30 there. That's not keeping the defense fresh either.

Anyway, I know you can't judge what Boller would or would not have done yesterday. He could have had a Denver game, or a Minnesota game. I was strictly speaking out of statistics and numbers.

Man I knew it was ugly while I was watching it but when you post the drive-by-drive stats it's even worse. :grbac:

Still, I'm not getting worked up, good or bad, over 2 games. The 3 games following next week should give us more of a barometer on the offense.

FHRaven

Let's just be thankful we were playing the Raiders, and that it was at home. We would have been in trouble playing a playoff caliber team yesterday at home, and probably would have been in trouble playing practically anyone on the road.

But we managed to pull out a win while struggling on offense. No one seems to be in denial over this, including the players themselves, so they know improvement is needed.

And yet we still got a win -- it sure beats last year's second game, or do I need to remind anyone how ugly that offensive performance was?

Two things.

1. We are 2-0. We beat one team we were not supposed to beat (Bucs) and another that we were supposed to beat.

2. We have always started the season sloppy. If there is a time to get ourselves together offensively, it is during the first three games. Once the Chargers come to town, it will be on. (No, I am not concerned about the Stains).
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

I'm as concerned about our offense now as I was when Boller was playing. Steve McNair is an experienced vet I don't see why he should still be having problems with basic plays. I was pretty impressed with the performance last week until I saw the egg Tampa Bay laid again this week. I'm beginning to think it will be another long year offensively for us. I am not impressed so far.

Wow. Just wow. While all is not perfect with our beloved Ravens Offense, McNair wasnt just going to step in and be a perfect fit. We are lucky we have a soft opening 2 for everyone to adjust. And even then Tampa wasnt supposed to be an easy win.
    Last year the Colts had the perfect offense. But no ring. same goes for cinncy. There are so many intangables in this game that teams that look perfect on paper will rarely if ever succeed. We should be happy to have 2 put away towards the goal for now, and see where the next few weeks find us.
    Actual user comment from a yahoo sports article:

On this given sunday you will witnesses why we'll called steeler nation!!!