Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Good And The Bad

The Good:

1. Adam Terry played well. He is our future at LT. He is not a RT, but he is a pretty good LT.

2. Kelly Gregg is the most underrated player in football. Period.

3. Our defense is Super Bowl quality depth-wise and talent-wise.

4. Our running game is Super Bowl quality depth-wise and talent-wise. I like how we are splitting up the carries.

5. Sam Koch has really turned it on. He is shaping up to be a very good punter in this league. Good height and distance on his punts, and great accuracy in pinning the defense within the 20. Koch was very good on kickoffs.

6. The YAC that Mark Clayton got on his catch.

7. Our special teams was beast on today. BJ Sams had a good day running the ball.

8. Dawan Landry has solved our worries at SS. Landry is money.

9. Ronnie Prude's INT. I am liking this kid as well.

10. Can we pick UDFAs or vcan we pick UDFAs. Prude, Sams, Gregg, and Bart Scott!

The Bad:

1. Steve McNair was inaccurate on today, but he will be fine in the coming weeks.

2. The OL was terrible and Tony Pashos has to go. We must sign a tackle this week and send Ogelsby to the PS.

3. JO injured, but looks like he'll be fine.

4. When will this Clarence Moore experiment end? I would loved to see Demetrius Williams get the throws that Moore got today.

5. The Red Zone. The OL actually cost us in the redzone with Pashos and Flynn's penalties. We cannot have sloppy OL play against a good team. We should have been up either 18-0 or 21-0.
    Last edited by PurpleRulz; 09-17-2006 at 04:43 PM.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Re: The Good And The Bad

Clarence Moore actually caught that pass in the endzone, it was just a little overthrown and carried him out of bounds. The second time McNair just heaved it into the stands.

Special teams defending kickoffs was atrocious. They weren't staying in their lanes and that Carr dude was getting big returns nearly every time.

7 returns, averaged 29 yards per return. That's horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisQ
    Special teams defending kickoffs was atrocious. They weren't staying in their lanes and that Carr dude was getting big returns nearly every time.
    Very true -- I was yelling at the TV when we kept giving up those long kickoff returns. There seems to be something fundamentally wrong with our kickoff coverage.

And while I love McNair's poise, he threw some wounded ducks today. It almost seems as if there is something wrong with his arm.

On the positive side, our defense looks awesome. I know it's only two games, but we've outscored the opposition 55-6 so far. And our run defense has been great. A very nice start to the season.

My grades for the game:

QB: C- Not a good day for McNair. The only thing that kept him from getting a D is his TD pass, which was perfect.

RB: B It would've been a B- if it wasn't for the final half of the 4th quarter.

OL: C The Raiders were getting into the backfield too often today. Mike Flynn himself brought down the grade one whole level.

WR/TE: C Were they even in the game today? I might be too harsh on them, considering McNair's inaccuracy. Clayton's late catch and run brought it up a bit.

DL: A Stuffed the run pretty well, and kept pressure on the QB, including a safety, and fumble recoveries.

LB: A Ray in his prime, and Bart Scott getting into the mix. Good game from both.

DB/S: B Some good hits, but CMac is showing problems with good receivers. He still has a discipline problem, even though some of those calls against him were very ticky tack.

K/P: A+ Stover is accurate as usual. Koch had an amazing game!! Booming punts kept the Raiders deep in their end for most of the game.

COACHING: D Some very VERY questionable play calling today, not only in the redzone, but also in the 4th quarter with a comfortable lead. Totally unacceptable in my book.

I worry about Cleveland next week, unless McNair can at least have an AVERAGE game.

ofleseby is the one that tipped a pass that I think a.d. picked off

Here are my thoughts though I will preface this with I'm prety buzzed and kind of tired.

THe Good:

Sam Koch had maybe the best punting day I can remember a Ravens punter having. This kid is AMAZING. Booming sixty while hitting a coffin corner was unreal.

Our rookies (Ngata, Landry, Williams, Prude) look GOOOOOOD.

Our d-line was great and so were the LBers (especially Ray Ray). Ok I'm too drunk to do this. Lets just skip to:

THe Ugly (but with a positive twist). Steve McNair. He played about as bad a game as I think he could and we still looked ok on O. I know he can play better, and that is what I find so positive. We still played decent "Ravens" offense with Steve at his worst. When Steve starts clicking we will dominate.

Just got back from the game. Last week I talked about the offense and how concerned I was, and I got yelled at.

Anyone else now getting as concerned as I am yet? False starts, holding penalties, DELAYS OF GAME. BJ Sams and the defense handed the offense short fields on the first three posessions and all they could get were three field goals?? And are we back to running the ball or throwing short routes on 3rd and long and hoping to get YAC?

And I'll tell you something else. On the 2:00 touchdown drive, McNair better buy Derrick Mason TWO beers tonight because Mason bailed Steve out on that tipped pass by Todd Heap. That was some heads up play. The spin move on the 5-6 yard line wasn't too shabby either.

Our defense was as usual, dominant. Walters did all he could against our defense, but he just couldn't get anything going. C-Mac pretty much took care of Randy Moss.

I'll always take the win, but we had BETTER get this offense under control before we leave Cleveland or we're going to start really having trouble when we play actual good teams and not the Raiders and Browns.

I'll always take the win, but we had BETTER get this offense under control before we leave Cleveland or we're going to start really having trouble when we play actual good teams and not the Raiders and Browns.
    That's true, but let's keep it in perspective: The Raiders are still an NFL team. They're a bad NFL team, but things got a little out of hand this week with media and other predictions of a 51-3 type of win. They are a team in the National Football League. Rarely will it be easy to lock in a W against another NFL team, even a bad one, before the 4th Q. The defense was flat-out amazing; the offense did what they had to do. Is there room for improvement? Of course - But this is Week 2, and we have a new QB. I'd much rather have the opportunity to continue working on existing problems while hopefully continuing to win with this classic Ravens formula than worrying about these problems in Week 10 or 13 or so.

The offense sets up the defense for the win while continuing to gel. And we've outscored a good team on the road and a bad but desperate, proud team at home 55-6. I'll take that in Week 2 coming off a 6-10 season.

"Last week I talked about the offense and how concerned I was, and I got yelled at."

Just from last week. I've been saying there is something wrong with our offense for years now, and all I've heard is that we need a QB.

Less than 50% passing.
    3.6 YPC.
    6-18 on third down.
    One TD from inside the redzone.

I didn't lay the blame all on Redman, Blake, Boller or Radio and I won't blame it all on McNair. But it's pretty obvious that our offense is missing a lot more parts than just a QB.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

[QUOTE=darb72I didn't lay the blame all on Redman, Blake, Boller or Radio and I won't blame it all on McNair. But it's pretty obvious that our offense is missing a lot more parts than just a QB.[/QUOTE]

I thought the offense looked a little confused -- illegal procedure penalties, illegal formation penalties, time-outs because they didn't get the play in on time, and on and on. It was actually pretty sloppy at times. I hope it's just a case of McNair still getting acclimated to the new team, the new offense, etc.

Speaking of confused offenses, I noticed that both teams called all of their timeouts in the first half -- I'm not sure I've ever seen that before.

4. Our running game is Super Bowl quality depth-wise and talent-wise. I like how we are splitting up the carries.
    What game were you watching? We got stuffed more times than I care to remember.

7. Our special teams was beast on today. BJ Sams had a good day running the ball.
    As it has been noted, our kick coverage was awful today.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by darb72
    "Last week I talked about the offense and how concerned I was, and I got yelled at."

Just from last week. I've been saying there is something wrong with our offense for years now, and all I've heard is that we need a QB.

Less than 50% passing.
    3.6 YPC.
    6-18 on third down.
    One TD from inside the redzone.

I didn't lay the blame all on Redman, Blake, Boller or Radio and I won't blame it all on McNair. But it's pretty obvious that our offense is missing a lot more parts than just a QB.
    Yeah, if another QB on this team put up those stats people would screaming for his head, irregardless of the win.

I'm not panicing after 2 games but McNair looked bad. No thanks in part to a big old helping of Flynn & Company. For now I'll hope McNair is still learning the offense and by the quarter pole he won't be posting 50% completion rates.

On the plus side, the 2 minute offense looked decent for the first time since Billick arrived!! :D

FHRaven