Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Opinion on Flacco

from Florio on PFT

2. Joe Flacco already is an elite quarterback.

Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco explained on Thursday’s Dan Patrick Show that the third-year pro became a little miffed after he was repeatedly grilled by ESPN’s Ron Jaworski and Jon Gruden regarding the things Flacco needs to do to become an elite quarterback. Eventually, Flacco essentially said he’s already there.

And he’s right.

Consider this fact. Entering only his third NFL season, Flacco already has played in five postseason road games. And he has won three of them.

So while Matt Ryan of the Falcons already is regarded as the superior member of the quarterback class of 2008, Ryan is 0-1 in the playoffs. This year, we’d rather have Flacco under center in a money game, especially if that game is being played away from home.

i am probably one of the few who agree with this opinion, but it is nice to see that some others out there see it the same way.
    Last edited by bretts; 12-18-2010 at 12:19 PM.

Blog Entries

Re: Opinion on Flacco

Flacco is a VERY GOOD QB. I am a big Flacco supporter but I am not ready to call him elite. He's still to inconsistent for me to put him there.

I'd like to see him put together one full game vs. a good team.A lot of times, he'll have one great quarter or half but then the rest of time he's a none factor, unless its a negative play. To be elite, he cant disappear like that.

Flacco is a slightly above AVG QB because he has not learned how to consistently go through his progressions. It's look a his primary then check down to RR. With this much talent he should be way better then last year.
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

i know i am in the minority on this, so i am not going to really put much into debating about it.

the argument on talent is strung out. Flacco has better receivers, but they are new. his offensive line is significantly worse and is not getting much help at all from the running game. i also think boldin is being mis-used up to this point in the season.

i would also like to see him put together a complete game. i think it is impressive, that statistically he has looked so well after week two until now with

1. no complete game
    2. no running game
    3. no offensive line
    4. misused wide receiver

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Flacco is a VERY GOOD QB. I am a big Flacco supporter but I am not ready to call him elite. He's still to inconsistent for me to put him there.

I'd like to see him put together one full game vs. a good team.A lot of times, he'll have one great quarter or half but then the rest of time he's a none factor, unless its a negative play. To be elite, he cant disappear like that.
    :word

We need to put him in the shotgun hurry-up and let him do his thing a lot more often. He seems shackled.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bretts View Post
    i know i am in the minority on this, so i am not going to really put much into debating about it.

the argument on talent is strung out. Flacco has better receivers, but they are new. his offensive line is significantly worse and is not getting much help at all from the running game. i also think boldin is being mis-used up to this point in the season.

i would also like to see him put together a complete game. i think it is impressive, that statistically he has looked so well after week two until now with

1. no complete game
    2. no running game
    3. no offensive line
    4. misused wide receiver
    I agree with most of that but I do think Flacco can overcome it. I've said several times that people expecting an explosive offense were expecting to much. It takes years for offenses to develop that kind of chemistry. It doesnt happen in a couple months time.

Some would argue that due to our ineffective running game, Flacco should be putting up bigger numbers. I also think Flacco could help the offensive line by making better pre snap decisions, making faster reads, and getting rid of the ball faster.

I am not even going to get started on Cam.

All in all, I like where Flacco is. Lately, I think if you list all the problems that we have on offense Flacco would probably be next to last on that list. But thats a far cry from being elite but then again it probably depends on your definition of elite.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    I agree with most of that but I do think Flacco can overcome it. I've said several times that people expecting an explosive offense were expecting to much. It takes years for offenses to develop that kind of chemistry. It doesnt happen in a couple months time.

Some would argue that due to our ineffective running game, Flacco should be putting up bigger numbers. I also think Flacco could help the offensive line by making better pre snap decisions, making faster reads, and getting rid of the ball faster.

I am not even going to get started on Cam.

All in all, I like where Flacco is. Lately, I think if you list all the problems that we have on offense Flacco would probably be next to last on that list. But thats a far cry from being elite but then again it probably depends on your definition of elite.
    i am listing those things to show that i think for the most part he has overcome it. and yes, chemistry takes a while to build. i have seldom seen that argument on this board.

Flacco thrives i think most with two things. hurry up and play action. no run game hurts play actions, and for some reason we do not see the hurry up enough.

my biggest thing on cam is how horribly missused boldin is. they use him and mason the same way from what i see and that is just plain dumb.

i dont think it will be long before more and more people are added to the elite wagon. right now, considering QBs who have thrown over 400 passes, flacco is 4th in QB rating. ahead of him, rodgers phillips and brady.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bretts View Post
    i am listing those things to show that i think for the most part he has overcome it. and yes, chemistry takes a while to build. i have seldom seen that argument on this board.

Flacco thrives i think most with two things. hurry up and play action. no run game hurts play actions, and for some reason we do not see the hurry up enough.

my biggest thing on cam is how horribly missused boldin is. they use him and mason the same way from what i see and that is just plain dumb.

i dont think it will be long before more and more people are added to the elite wagon. right now, considering QBs who have thrown over 400 passes, flacco is 4th in QB rating. ahead of him, rodgers phillips and brady.
    Yeah, we had the same problem when it was Clayton and Mason. The Ravens dont rotate their offensive personal as effectively or as often as other teams. Offensive line permitting, I think we have the skill position personal to take advantage of anything the defense throws our way but it almost seems like we are hell bent on dictating the way the game goes. Instead of focusing in on taking advantage of certain match ups.

I am not a stats guy, so QB rating doesnt do much for me. Brady and Rivers have bad games but very rarely do you see them become a non-factor like Flacco does sometimes. Rodgers has his moments but he's also a lot more consistent than Flacco. I am not one of those Flacco will never be elite nay-sayers but his inconsistency keeps him out for me, at least right now.

Blog Entries

I love me Joe Flacco...but W-L record for a QB is an overblown way to decide if they are elite.

The Pats game last year wasn't won by Joe Flacco...we ran them into submission with Rice and McGahee. And the Titans game in 08 was more about Defense and Stover.

Not saying Flacco isn't a good QB...he certainly didn't LOSE us those games. He probably lost us the Steelers game in 08. I wouldn't blame him for the loss against the Colts last year. But W-L playoff pct is not the best indicator for elite QB status, because W-L is a full team effort.

I'd focus more on his decision making and his ability to lead the offense. His decision making is superb, but he hasn't quite gotten the "lead the offense" part perfect yet.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

I don't know what "elite" means. Right now, in my opinion, Brady is the only "elite" QB in the NFL ..... former "elitists" have fallen: Favre has gone over the hill and Manning looks human.

If "elite" were to include Rivers, Roethilesberger, Ryan, Scahub and/or Brees, then there's a case for Flacco being called "elite" as well. Joe is playing as well or better than anyone else except Brady right now.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    I don't know what "elite" means. Right now, in my opinion, Brady is the only "elite" QB in the NFL ..... former "elitists" have fallen: Favre has gone over the hill and Manning looks human.

If "elite" were to include Rivers, Roethilesberger, Ryan, Scahub and/or Brees, then there's a case for Flacco being called "elite" as well. Joe is playing as well or better than anyone else except Brady right now.
    You think Flacco is playing as well than or better than Rivers/Ryan/Brees?

Really?

PP

I like how because Manning suddenly has to do 300% more to give his team a chance to win because the entire Colts offense is basically decimated people are faulting him for more errors and saying he's not elite anymore. Give me a break.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh