Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Texans fan needs opinions

Hey guys,
    I am a long suffering Texans fan. Great game last night. I was hoping you could help me get an outside opinion. Lots of folks in Houston blame Schaub for not being a leader and not being clutch.

You guys don't have a reason to bs so what do you guys thinks about Schaub?

Thanks

PS Good luck the rest of the way.

Re: Texans fan needs opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Texsid View Post
    Hey guys,
    I am a long suffering Texans fan. Great game last night. I was hoping you could help me get an outside opinion. Lots of folks in Houston blame Schaub for not being a leader and not being clutch.

You guys don't have a reason to bs so what do you guys thinks about Schaub?

Thanks

PS Good luck the rest of the way.
    Hey man, that dude Schaub is sick. I think you guys just need some defense and that's it. Haven't followed him too much, but I was surprised that he had less TD's than Flacco. You guys do have a stud RB though. I wouldn't fire your coach just yet. Hire a stud D coordinator and if it doesnt work out, then fire him. The game just passed was all about dropped passes for yall, not your QB or RB. Good luck!

Schaub is a good QB.

He's obviously not in the Manning/Brady/Brees class, but nobody else is. Honestly, I think he is in the Romo class.

You definitely can win with him, and if you give him enough weapons, he can pile up stats...but he isn't going to carry a team on his own.

You guys need to fix your defense. I know we didn't light you guys up, but your corners are pretty bad and your safeties aren't much better. You guys could also stand to grab another pass rusher or 2 and get a D coordinator with better schemes to hide your weaknesses better.

Fix your defense and the Texans are the best team in that division.

Blog Entries

In general I've always been impressed with Schaub.

But last night, I will say, it was night and day when he was pressured versus not pressured. Like any QB, give him time and he'll carve you up, and that was the story of the second half. The first half and OT however, showed that if you get a little pressure in his face... he really doesn't do a whole lot.

Even the TD to Johnson in the first half was badly underthrown - Johnson had to turn back to the LOS, stand, and wait for it. That's a bad throw -- hanging the ball up over the secondary like that. Should have been broken up easily by any NFL defense, but Reed happened to make a bad gamble.

Then again, there were so many drops that were not his fault...... very strange game, I'd say. When he was firing, the Wrs were dropping 'em. When the defense let off and played coverage, he ripped it up. When there was pressure, he caved. Very much a mixed bag i guess.

Blog Entries

I like schaub from what I saw last night he looked like a leader to me when the coaches were messing up in the 1st half and not getting the plays in you could see he was pissed off and letting the coaches know and in the second half he led a great comeback vs an above avg not great defense and he made some very good throws and picked apart our 8 man coverages. He could have easily thrown for 400+ yards and 4 TDs if his receivers could catch. We were lucky to win that game.

They may have 99 problems, but Shaub aint one.

It was unfortunate that Ryans got hurt. the D really came unglued after that. Also Williams playing with the hernia is not the monster he normally is. Those 2 factors are enough to derail an average defense.

I thought it was sort of crazy to move Cushing to MB, when he was such a force at OLB. You can pretty much find a guy to play MB at a decent level, but you really saw a fall off at OLB and MB at the same time.

The D could also really use a big fat DT who can hold the line and 2 gap.

It has to be frustrating to always seem like the team is on the verge of turning the corner but it never does. The Ravens are sort of in the same boat, but already around the make it to the playoffs corner, but not quite consistant enough to feel elite and get one of the top seeds.

The AFC S is a tough division. No scrub teams makes it hard to rack up easy wins, but the team is competitve and fun to watch, just lower the expectations and try to enjoy the ride. Sooner or later the Texans will break through Even the Bungles have made the playoffs. I think once they do get over the hump of making the playoffs, they will be a very dangerous team, not just a once in a while contender.

:T2:

I have grown quite fond of the Texans since moving to Houston. They are my second team and my fiancée and I are on their PSL waiting list (don't fret Ravens fans, not giving up my Ravens PSL's).

Their first step in the wrong direction was getting rid of Charley Casserly and the second, most serious is this devotion to Kubiac.

IMO, the Texans are victim to the poisonous head causing the body to rot (I believe that's the analogy).

Schaub is a good QB, and did what he needed to do to bring the team back. And he definitely wasn't the problem during the game. However, given how much time he got during the 4th quarter especially, I'm not sure he did anything that any other competent to good NFL qb wouldn't have done in his place. So while I can't grade him negatively for it, I can't exactly call him clutch because of it either. The moment they finally started putting pressure on him he imploded and game over.

He's a nice QB, but he isn't gonna win games on his own. I'd take him on my team, but he needs the parts around him.

Blog Entries

I told everyone before the game that Houston can score 35 points vs us but they
    can give up 45.

We both need to beef up our Ds in the off-season.

There are 25+ teams in the NFL that would be lucky to have Schaub. He isn't the best, but he's one of them.

A buddy of mine tried a quick count of Schaub's fourth quarter. It's on my other computer, but going from memory he was something like 20/24 for almost 200 yards and 2 TDs. That's dead money.

He also had receivers drop six or seven passes, which had they not, his stat line would have been absolutely sick.

I posted - maybe not here - a note about Ngata being the key to the game-ending play. I won't repost, but Ngata made a great play to put pressure on, which forced Schaub to back pedal and take a little bit off his throw, leaving the ball in the air a moment too long which allowed for Wilson's jumping the route. The OL was more to blame than Schaub for that play, though Schaub could have thrown it a bit better.

Another stat I've heard. The Texans are the only team in NFL history that has been down by 14+ points, come back to tie or take the lead and then still lose the game FOUR times in one season (with three games remaining)! Monday night was a pick six to lose it, but the other three were all on the defense, not on Schaub. Let's keep the loss from Monday since it's on Schaub. The other three were:
    Jaguars - Tipped hail mary? Come on...
    Jets - 80 yards in 40 seconds on some ridiculously poor defense.
    Eagles - Again, more the defense allowing the Eagles to move at will in the 4th quarter.

If the defense is even half competent and holds in those games, you guys are 8-5 right now and not 5-8.

Schaub is a lot like Flacco, except a little bit better. There are some things he doesn't do well. But most of the things he does, he does them well, and he's one of the better QBs in the league.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    T
    I posted - maybe not here - a note about Ngata being the key to the game-ending play. I won't repost, but Ngata made a great play to put pressure on, which forced Schaub to back pedal and take a little bit off his throw, leaving the ball in the air a moment too long which allowed for Wilson's jumping the route. The OL was more to blame than Schaub for that play, though Schaub could have thrown it a bit better.
    Ngata definitely flushed him backwards and to his left, but that pass was an absolutely horrifying lapse in concentration on Schaub's part, and was completely inexcusable. He could have gotten more on the ball by planting his feet and taking the hit, or just thrown it away. Or rolled out hard to his left to buy more time, get outside the tackle box for a safe throwaway, etc. Instead he lazily flipped it out wide to an area with 2 WRs (which should be a red flag that there are multiple defenders around) while back-pedaling.

Totally, totally inexcusable, pressure or no pressure. It's not like Ngata hit him while throwing and took some of the zip off it. Ngata was a good two steps away.

And it wasn't like Wilson peeled away from another guy - he was covering the intended receiver on the play the whole time. In fact, even if Schaub guns that ball, Wilson probably picks it off. The receiver just wasn't open.

Clearly, Schaub didn't see Wilson, so there is also a share of the blame due to poor play design, or more likely, poor execution, as the slot WR surely ran to the wrong spot, obscuring Schaub's view of Wilson.

Still, that was an absolutely brutal loss of concentration by Schaub.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-m...-it-for-Ravens

People get on Flacco for playing it safe, but Flacco had 0 Int's, Schaub had 2, in what became a razor-tight, overtime game on national TV. Is that attributable to Flacco having played more high stakes games in his career than Schaub, who has the luxury of winging the ball around the yard season after season with little consequence, win or lose? Could be. Any QB in the NFL can look good and hit open WRs in meaningless games with all day to throw. But playing under adverse conditions, against good teams, under pressure, in big games, is a whole different level.

Schaub's good.

I understand how the Texans' fans must be impatient. You guys have a lot of talent & every year it's some other reason you aren't getting to the postseason.

Schaub was really good on Sunday, though. His numbers were killed by all the drops.

Fans like to talk about invisible stuff like "chemistry" or "leadership" or whatever. Ravens fans do that too. Schaub's a good quarterback, but it's a funny shaped ball and it doesn't always bounce the way you want it to.

Be strong & don't let the haters wear you down.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.