Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Before you sell all your purple gear, consider...

The problem I have with the unreasonable Harbaugh bashing that goes on sometimes is that it makes nights like tonight unbearable. On nights like tonight when Harbaugh legitimately deserves to be criticized, the bashers have worked themselves into such a lather that they're calling for firing the entire coaching staff, out of a cannon...into the sun. One poster even said he almost wanted us to miss the playoffs just so we'd dump Harbs.

Think about that for a moment... He practically wants the team to fail just to replace a coach who, despite all the bitching, pissing, and moaning from some of you, is on his way to a third straight playoff appearance. The only coach with a playoff win in 2008 AND 2009. The first coach in history to lead us to 3 straight 9+ win seasons.

Does Harbaugh have flaws? Yes. Absolutely. Does Cam need to change the way he calls plays in the 4th? I don't know, but he needs to change something in order to change the results. Ozzie deserves a share of the blame too. He's allowed our defense to become dangerously thin and that's one of the reasons we were so gassed tonight. Am I satisfied with our team's performance tonight? Not really. I'm glad we pulled out a win. I'm pissed it took til OT.

But all of these criticisms are the criticisms of WINNERS. Winning teams complain about not beating teams convincingly. Losers complain about losing. Winners complain about not be satisfied with their playoff seeds. Losers watch the playoffs the same place we do. Their couches. Winning teams wonder if all they'll ever do is make the playoffs and win a game or two before bowing out. Losers pray for a playoff win.

I'm not asking anyone to drink any kool aid or not complain. I'm just telling you to think a moment about what you're actually complaining about. As Ravens fans we're like that kid in school who complained because dad bought him a Beemer for his 16th birthday when he wanted a Porsche. Think about the complaints down in DC right now. Heck imagine how the Texans' fans feel.

Remember, kids, Superbowl championships don't grow on trees. You manage to get 1 or 2 in a 15 year career and your viewed as a great coach. 3 or 4 and you're Hall of Fame. Harbs has had 2 years and 12 games and he's gotten us close. Realize that realistically if he coaches for 10 more years and only gets us one ring in that time, he'd still be better than 95% of the coaches who ever donned a headset.

Life isn't Madden and in the modern era winning championships is so hard as to be almost impossible to do without an immense amount of luck. The best coach of our era hasn't won since before Harbaugh took over either. Think they're calling for the Hoody's head? All you can ask of a coach is to consistently get your team into the dance and then hope he can pull it out once or twice.

Take a deep breath folks. Remember that you live in the real world and in the real world, the Ravens are a top team. Bill Parcells said it best. You are what your record says you are.

Our record says we're playoff bound. Enjoy it.

Re: Before you sell all your purple gear, consider...

I've always thought you are the best poster here.

Thank You.

From another fan who is not currently melting.

Although Im still a little pissed.

But just a little.

Also, props to houstonraven and Galen sevinne. Good level headed posters. I'm sure Im forgetting some other good ones. But there are also plenty of :grbac:

Thumbs down Re: Before you sell all your purple gear, consider...

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post

I'm not asking anyone to drink any kool aid or not complain.

.........Realize that realistically if he coaches for 10 more years and only gets us one ring in that time, he'd still be better than 95% of the coaches who ever donned a headset......
    How about this: this is pure bullshit! If you and the other Harbaugh/Mattison defenders want to continue to live in la-la land, be my guest. There is so much talent on this team it's ridiculous, yet here we go again: blow yet another big 4th Q lead, try to sit on it, don't pressure the opposing QB.

Under this coaching regime, we won't get close to seeing your "one ring in that time" unless the owner steps in and demands better coaching.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Thank you for this. i was going to reply to 4gf whatever guy. What a whiny post, losing to the saints by 14plus. No, chill out guys...

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    How about this: this is pure bullshit! If you and the other Harbaugh/Mattison defenders want to continue to live in la-la land, be my guest. There is so much talent on this team it's ridiculous, yet here we go again: blow yet another big 4th Q lead, try to sit on it, don't pressure the opposing QB.

Under this coaching regime, we won't get close to seeing your "one ring in that time" unless the owner steps in and demands better coaching.
    The reason I follow this board closer than the scout one has always been the due to the traditionally more reasonable level headed SMART posters here compared to that pms thriving hole. But posts like the one above, along with a large amount of others that will soon appear in this thread, make me wonder. Oh, and this is a moderator no less. The frequency of these crap posts are coming in regularly now as well.

Need more men like the op of this thread.

How about this: this is pure bullshit!
    No it's reality. Reality says that you have to make the playoffs a lot before you'll win a ring. Ask Tony Dungy or Jon Gruden or the Hoody or the Chin. All of them made the playoffs 4 or 5 times for every ring they got.

Heck, you have stated unequivocally that you'd prefer Jeff Fisher over Harbaugh. Why is Jeff Fisher better than Harbaugh? They have the same number of rings and Jeff has taken 15 extra years to try and get them. In 17 seasons he's managed to win 5 playoff games. Harbs has 3 playoff wins in 2 years.

The all time Superbowl winning coach in history, Chuck Noll only managed to get 4 rings in a 24 year coaching span. And he didn't have free agency to break up his teams. He got all 4 in a 6 year span with essentially the same roster every time and then never got closer than losing a Conference championship.

None of that is my opinion. Its reality. You can either get with it and walk away from non Superbowl seasons satisfied, or not and lose a couple years of your life to the stress. I don't care either way. I just figured someone might appreciate the perspective.

What is pure bullshit is the fact that you want Harbs and co. gone so bad your judgement is clouded.

You want to blame someone, try blaming the players they are who play the game, they need to execute better, they need to finish games, they need to score more points not the coaches.

Is anybody happy we gave up another 4th QTR lead, hell no, but god damn man this is the NFL, that was supposed to be a playoff contender and many here may not like to hear it but when they are healthy which they were last night that is one of the best offenses in the NFL.

So what happens if we win the SB this year, because it could happen. You may not want to admit it but it could and what if it played out just like last night did, do we still fire Harbs and co. because they are not winning games the way you want to SEE games won?
    Hating Steeler Fans Since Birth

Section 126, Row 33

Lets Go Flacco :happyanim

Blog Entries

Speaking as someone who somewhat switched sides last night...

No one wants to sell their purple gear...No one is giving up on this team really. The problem we have is that you KNEW this was coming. We've SEEN this again and again, we know, the COACHES know it, and they STILL HAVEN'T FIXED IT.

Yeah, the Texans have a reputation for coming back against teams. Fine. But if we're paying Cam and Mattison to be the bosses on offense and defense...that means it's THEIR JOB to look at what Houston was bringing on both sides and say "Okay, here's what we need to do to stop it". And quite obviously, Houston had our number ALL 2nd half. Both sides of the ball.

I'm not even really sure I'm talking about firing coaches. At this late point, firing a coach is probably more guaranteed to screw up the team and keep them out of the playoffs, just by nature of transition. But Harbaugh needs to step in and BE THE HEAD COACH. He's responsible for the performance of all units, and last night, both units stunk in the 2nd half. That kind of stagnation almost lost this game to a lesser opponent. How do you think it'll fare against the SAINTS?
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

I agree, ASB, great post. Mista T, did I miss Harbaugh, Mattison and Cameron on the field? Coaches coach and players play the game. Some coaches are better than others art the X's and O's, some are good at motivation, and a small number are good at both. But the bottom line is that it is up to the players to execute.

Can we get better? Absolutely. Can we go deep into the playoffs? NO ONE KNOWS the answer to that.

Personally, I will enjoy the ride because the Ravens are my team, win or lose. I remember what it was like NOT to have a team to bitch about. I haven't drank the purple kool-aid but they are my team and they ARE 9 and 4.

Just saying.
    Of course this is just my opinion

I think people forget that once the playoffs start, it's a whole different ballgame. Last year there were plenty of complaints, we lucked into the playoffs, etc, but come playoff time we went into Foxborough and did something that hadn't been done in a VERY long time.

Or maybe a couple of years ago. The Cards are supposed to be "the worst playoff team of all time" and, whoops, they were a play away from winning the SB.

Yes, we have shortcomings, in both playing and coaching, but remember that EVERY TEAM HAS PROBLEMS (except maybe the Pats, apparently). Yeah, it's frustrating that we can't seem to pick up SS blitzes, but then again Peyton Manning had 4 pick return for TDs in a couple of games, and no one reasonable was calling for his head.

The fact of the matter is, we could lose to the Saints AND Bungles and still be in pretty good shape to make the playoffs. But the impression I get is that half the posters here would prefer to be a Chargers fan: #1 in every stat but a mediocre record. I'll take #32 in every stat if it means we go to the playoffs.

Although to be honest, I am hoping that this is all part of a secret master plan not to show our hand before the playoffs or whatever.

I can't get over this constant drum you're beating in one arm while praying we'd somehow hire Jeff Fisher in the other arm.

We're 9-4. We have a 2 game lead on the next closest wildcard teams. Read that again. We're an essential lock, barring a huge collapse, for the playoffs.

We could be a team that's really underacheiving with tons of talent like your wet dream Titans. The talent on that team that Fisher is squandering is sickening. There is no excuse for them to be as bad as they are. I'd like to hear your reasoning. And then what about the Cowboys or the Vikings? Or even the Redskins? Bengals? Chargers? Colts?

These are all teams that are vastly underacheiving. The Ravens? Playing exactly to my expectations. We're very talented, sure, but not where it matters the most...OL and DL. And our QB is not what we need him to be yet, either. We can have all the WRs and DBs and RBs we want it won't do us any good if the lines aren't in order.

But yeah, fire Mattison becaues Andre Johnson and Arian Foster had big second halves. Oh, don't look at hwat they did against golden god Rex Ryan this year, because then your head would explode since I'm sure he's your fantasy DC.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Speaking as someone who somewhat switched sides last night...

No one wants to sell their purple gear...No one is giving up on this team really. The problem we have is that you KNEW this was coming. We've SEEN this again and again, we know, the COACHES know it, and they STILL HAVEN'T FIXED IT.

Yeah, the Texans have a reputation for coming back against teams. Fine. But if we're paying Cam and Mattison to be the bosses on offense and defense...that means it's THEIR JOB to look at what Houston was bringing on both sides and say "Okay, here's what we need to do to stop it". And quite obviously, Houston had our number ALL 2nd half. Both sides of the ball.

I'm not even really sure I'm talking about firing coaches. At this late point, firing a coach is probably more guaranteed to screw up the team and keep them out of the playoffs, just by nature of transition. But Harbaugh needs to step in and BE THE HEAD COACH. He's responsible for the performance of all units, and last night, both units stunk in the 2nd half. That kind of stagnation almost lost this game to a lesser opponent. How do you think it'll fare against the SAINTS?
    You dont think Harbaugh influenced the game plan at all for the offense this week? They jumped out to a 21 point lead, I know Texans defense isnt that great but this offense has struggled early vs some pretty poor defenses, SOMETHING changed. They struggled in the 2nd half but I contribute that more to being on the sideline most of the 2nd half. Our offense hasnt been together long enough to just come out and get hot, after sitting the entire 3rd quarter. They need a few possessions to get it going and they didnt get them because of the D.

The defense will figure it out but it wont be due to Mattison or Harbaugh. I expect to hear about a players only meeting after that debacle.

I think part of the problem for Harbaugh is that he has to walk on egg shells with our defense. There are just to many already established players that are "leaders". Usually when a new HC comes in dominate personalities are out the door. The Ravens didnt do that.