Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: It's Not the Defense...

Quote Originally Posted by RockGod View Post
    The defense played pretty good; if the offense could play consistently and run the clock out in the first half that first td doesn't happen.

I'm sure everyone saw the stat they showed that in the second half the Ravens ran 16 plays to Huston’s 51. You can't win games like that; you at least have to score three on 50% of your drives in the second half. Zero points by the offense in the second half is what almost lost this game. I'll admit that the lack of pass rush called by Mattison didn't help but you have to put points on the board. It makes the other team feel like it's getting away from them and will more than likely cause them to make a mistake. When you allow a team to chip away their confidence starts to build and they start getting comfortable, especially at home.

On a brighter note Flacco looked better, he looked like a qb that could do more then what they tell him to do. He actually changed a few plays and pointed out the pass rush. But they have to do more bootlegs and screens when they can't stop the pass rush. He's been a sitting target back there most of the season, I don't know about the rest of you but I would take it on myself to get the heck out of there. I wouldn't care what the coaches said, as soon as I got the ball I'd run in the opposite direction of the pass rush until the defense didn't know if I was dropping back or scrambling to by time. I don't understand why he doesn't do that. Roethlisberger does it all the time and I know it's not drawn up that way. That's what gets me so aggravated with Flacco, whatever I do regardless of what it is if I see someone else that's doing it better, I take what they do and apply it to what I'm doing or just do exactly what they're doing. I don't understand what's so hard for Joe to not quit doing a lot of the stuff he does. How many sacks is he going to take before he realizes that he has to get the hell out of the way especially on passing downs? Move your big dumb ass away from the guys that are trying to tackle you for crying out loud...Geesh...
    Could not disagree more. The defense needs to make a stop and get off the field. The O had the ball 3 plays in the 3rd Qtr. The Defense and our 3 man rush IMO is clearly to blame. The game winner came off of a blitz forcing Schaub to float a ball throwing off his back foot. I have never called for a coach's head but I am real close to that with Mattison. IMO, he is over his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    Could not disagree more. The defense needs to make a stop and get off the field. The O had the ball 3 plays in the 3rd Qtr. The Defense and our 3 man rush IMO is clearly to blame. The game winner came off of a blitz forcing Schaub to float a ball throwing off his back foot. I have never called for a coach's head but I am real close to that with Mattison. IMO, he is over his head.
    Could not be more wrong. Aside from Reed, the offense didn't even sniff the endzone in the 3rd 4th and OT. Nuff said.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Curious how those who put all the blame on the offense have not acknowledged that all season the Texans have been a team that adjusts very well in the second half.

Could it be they simply figured us out in the second half?

4. Re: It's Not the Defense...

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Curious how those who put all the blame on the offense have not acknowledged that all season the Texans have been a team that adjusts very well in the second half.

Could it be they simply figured us out in the second half?
    They haven't been the only team to figure us out in the second half. You'd think after the Patriots, Falcons and the last Steelers game - they would work on second half adjustments. I'm mean, were they not expecting adjustments? With Boldin, Housh, Mason, Rice and MaGhee, you mean to tell me they can't figure something out to at least get a field goal in the entire 2nd half? The Ravens have something like 4 games with scoreless 4th quarters. Clearly this isn't a problem that only the Texans have figured out.

The Texans offense is very potent and has come back from at least 14 point game deficits 4 times this year. Why should be expect the defense to shut them down while not expecting the offense to produce against a very weak defense. They shouldn't need more then 5 tries to get a field goal.

Blog Entries

Re: It's Not the Defense...

The Defense played horrible in the second half.
    Yeah the O didn't help the cause, but they also didn't blow a 21 point lead.

Houston is a good come back team.
    However in critical situations 3rd and longs and 4th downs, the D was predictable. We rushed 3 everytime and gave Schuab all the time in the world to find an open WR. That is DC play calling. 3 guys at the Line (LOS) with all the LB's 5 yards off the LOS is predictable. even if it is coverage, walk some up to the line to show blitz and pull on the snap. It was 3 rushers vs 5-6 blockers, with Schuab getting plenty of time to find a WR. He never hit an open WR (in critical downs) within the first 3 seconds of his drop, he had 5-6 seconds easy to wait for a WR to get open.
    Matty almost never blitzes anymore in known critical passing downs.
    And WTF was up with the Timeouts at the end of the game, did Harbs think he could cash them in for a FG. You had 2 timeouts your team is completely spent (J.J looked pathetic chasing Schuab) with under 30 seconds to play, did you really think you needed those T-Outs to use on a comeback drive with 20 seconds remaining. Piss Poor....

Call a freaking T-Out, get your team some o2 and dial up a blitz cause nothing else was working.