Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: What we're missing...

Quote Originally Posted by bmorebirds_24 View Post
    Leron McClain SUCKS at carrying the football. Yes, he can get a yard or two if need be, but he is not that good of a running back. He should not touch the ball more then three times a game.
    But what McClain does well is block. Someone has to help create the holes for Rice to run through.
    Boh

Leron McClain SUCKS at carrying the football. Yes, he can get a yard or two if need be, but he is not that good of a running back. He should not touch the ball more then three times a game.
    Yeah, you're totally right. He was absolutely horrible when we were giving him 15 carries a game back in '08 and he was grinding out 8 minute fourth quarter drives to seal the win for us. What a piece of crap.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Blog Entries

In 2008, we also ran a lot of 6 offensive lineman formations. At the end of the game vs. Tampa, they did and it had pretty good success. We just dont do it as often as we used to. I guess when you've got more than 2 semi competent receivers you cant bring in an extra lineman any more. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Yeah, you're totally right. He was absolutely horrible when we were giving him 15 carries a game back in '08 and he was grinding out 8 minute fourth quarter drives to seal the win for us. What a piece of crap.

- C -
    He wasn't the only one carrying the ball. He got the brunt of the carries and his YPC was not all that great. Other then the big run in Dallas in which Willis hit them with the first big blow to kill them he didn't have any big runs. So give it a rest back then this team was much better coached and the D was on top their game.

In 2008 we had a legitimate fullback blocking for McLain, McGahee and Rice. Rice was a third down back and created more havoc with screens. Our running plays are always between the tackles, no pitches or cutbacks. Last week I believe both McGahee and Rice should have been in the backfield at least half the time, with both being able to chip block and then flare out for screens when needed. They would not have been able to key on both..

He wasn't the only one carrying the ball. He got the brunt of the carries and his YPC was not all that great. Other then the big run in Dallas in which Willis hit them with the first big blow to kill them he didn't have any big runs. So give it a rest back then this team was much better coached and the D was on top their game.
    You know that "he didn't have any big runs" is not a convincing argument, right?

The dude was a hammer. If we went into the 4th quarter with a lead, the game was over. Not just because the defense was better. But because we gave the ball to McClain and he'd ram it down their throats. I lost count of how many 6+ minute drives he personally led due to his rushing abilities. He's not supposed to be a dynamic, explosive back. He's supposed to be the kind of guy that you give it to and he picks up 3-4 yards every single carry, and you can't stop him.

We need one of those. How many clock-crushing 4th quarter drives has this team had? Tampa you might be able to count, but let's be real, that was only 3:30 or 4 minutes. Tell me with a straight face we couldn't have used McClain running like that in the Patriots game, or the Steelers game...I dare you.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

You know that "he didn't have any big runs" is not a convincing argument, right?

The dude was a hammer. If we went into the 4th quarter with a lead, the game was over. Not just because the defense was better. But because we gave the ball to McClain and he'd ram it down their throats. I lost count of how many 6+ minute drives he personally led due to his rushing abilities. He's not supposed to be a dynamic, explosive back. He's supposed to be the kind of guy that you give it to and he picks up 3-4 yards every single carry, and you can't stop him.

We need one of those. How many clock-crushing 4th quarter drives has this team had? Tampa you might be able to count, but let's be real, that was only 3:30 or 4 minutes. Tell me with a straight face we couldn't have used McClain running like that in the Patriots game, or the Steelers game...I dare you.

- C -

In "08" our team was better coached IMO...And yes I know Harbs and Cam were running the show. Here's the other thing our O-line made a difference then too.

I don't remember all the games and details because it was 2 years ago. But I do know McClain is not a full time back. Maybe 4-5 touches a game but that's all I can take of him. Didn't L. Neal do some blocking for him too? Do you think that was a big help as well?

- C -
    I was just about to post this.

Having "big runs" is not a requirement to being an effective back.

He punded teams into submission that year.

Nobody is saying to make him our primary back, but he should be getting more carries.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I was just about to post this.

Having "big runs" is not a requirement to being an effective back.

He punded teams into submission that year.

Nobody is saying to make him our primary back, but he should be getting more carries.
    I remember sitting in Texas Stadium watching a fairly long run by McClain....

PP