Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: If you beleive Aaron Wilson...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lap View Post
    Yeah, our defense played a hell of a game. If it wasn't for the turnover with 3 minutes left in the 4th quarter we would have held the Steelers (most likely) to single digits.

I can't find any fault with Mattison at all.
    I agree, and i also think he's becoming more creative with his coverages and blitzes, at least it seems that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Nurse View Post
    Don't you all think that fixing the d coordinator position first is more important. Our tackling looks horrible. Non creative themes etc.....
    Is that supposed to be funny? Cause it wasn't.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Is that supposed to be funny? Cause it wasn't.

- C -
    I don't give people the benefit of the doubt any more. It's just not worth it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Nurse View Post
    Don't you all think that fixing the d coordinator position first is more important. Our tackling looks horrible. Non creative themes etc.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    Tackling is a league wide issue and the defense was put in a position to succeed on Sunday night. Tackle practice isn't done because you can't risk injury to players. They were after the Rapist all night and the run game wasn't a factor. There were plenty of creative blitzes the other night.

The offence died on it's arse in the second half.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lap View Post
    Yeah, our defense played a hell of a game. If it wasn't for the turnover with 3 minutes left in the 4th quarter we would have held the Steelers (most likely) to single digits.

I can't find any fault with Mattison at all.
    It's funny how one good game changes everyone's perception of Mattison as a coach. It was just a couple of weeks ago that everyone wanted his head on a platter because he allowed the freaking Buffalo Bills to rack up 500 yards on his defense.

Sorry but one good game does not change my opinion of him. The Steelers offensive line is horrible and the Ravens front 7 out muscled and our powered them, plain and simple. It wasnt some amazing defensive game plan to cause the front 7 to look so good. It was a talent differential that overwhelmingly favored us.

Its stuff like this that keeps me from taking the rash reactions by fans calling for Harbaugh and Cameron to do anything but make changes seriously. If the Ravens offense comes out and rolls up 500 yards and 40 points on a suspect Texans defense, Cameron will again be king of the castle and the Ravens will be the favorite (in the fans mind) to win the Superbowl.

Such is the fickel nature of fandom, I guess.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    It's funny how one good game changes everyone's perception of Mattison as a coach.
    Go back and read my past posts on this subject. I was never on the Mattison haters bandwagon, so don't include me in your sweeping generalistions, thanks.
    Last edited by Lee Van Cleef; 12-08-2010 at 05:29 PM.

It's funny how one good game changes everyone's perception of Mattison as a coach. It was just a couple of weeks ago that everyone wanted his head on a platter because he allowed the freaking Buffalo Bills to rack up 500 yards on his defense.
    Most Mattison defenders aren't basing it on one game. They're basing it on his 2 seasons of fielding a top 4 defense.

The Mattison should be fired crowd however seems to looooooove to use tiny sample size to justify his firing. Like the kind of intellectual giant who complains about one game against Buffalo as proof of his incompetence but ignores the massive amount of success this defense has had even though it is getting very old at key spots and very very inexperienced at others. (Not saying you are said intellectual giant, I was agreeing with your characterization of such folks.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Most Mattison defenders aren't basing it on one game. They're basing it on his 2 seasons of fielding a top 4 defense.

The Mattison should be fired crowd however seems to looooooove to use tiny sample size to justify his firing. Like the kind of intellectual giant who complains about one game against Buffalo as proof of his incompetence but ignores the massive amount of success this defense has had even though it is getting very old at key spots and very very inexperienced at others. (Not saying you are said intellectual giant, I was agreeing with your characterization of such folks.)
    Small sample size? You mean, giving up 400+ yards passing vs. SD last season doesnt count? How about allowing Peyton Hillis to run for 140+ yards? I guess blowing back to back 10 point 4th quarter leads to NE and Buffalo, should be ignored to? I can go on. The Ravens defense is as inconsistent as the Ravens offense. In past years if the Ravens offense played even marginally well, the defense could seal the game. That's not the case under Mattison.

Just so you know, the Ravens defense is currently ranked 7th. With Houston and New Orleans still on the schedule, I'll be VERY impressed if they manage to live up to the praise you've prematurely showered on Mattison and be a top 5 defense for the 2nd year in a row.

Just so you know, the Ravens defense is currently ranked 7th.
    7th in yards... Yards only matter in fantasy football.

He's #4 in points.

Blog Entries

7th in yards... Yards only matter in fantasy football.

He's #4 in points.
    And still not considered fielding a top 5 defense, per the NFL.

Point still stands. With Houston and New Orleans, on the schedule I'll be very impressed if they stay there.

Thumbs down Re: If you beleive Aaron Wilson...

Blowing 4th Q leads against NE, Buffalo, Atlanta, and Pitt is not a "small sample". Three of those were losses. A typical strong Ravens defense (such as those coached by Marv Lewis, Dick Nolan, or Rex Ryan) would have closed those games - we'd be looking at 11-1 and booking Super Bowl tickets.

Mattison is the worst DC we've seen since the Ravens played in Memorial Stadium.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post

Blowing 4th Q leads against NE, Buffalo, Atlanta, and Pitt is not a "small sample". Three of those were losses. A typical strong Ravens defense (such as those coached by Marv Lewis, Dick Nolan, or Rex Ryan) would have closed those games - we'd be looking at 11-1 and booking Super Bowl tickets.

Mattison is the worst DC we've seen since the Ravens played in Memorial Stadium.
    No it isn't.

:T2:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post

What those teams had that this one doesn't: better corners, a better pass rush, and a younger Ray Lewis who could paper over a lot more of the other gaps out there than he can now. He can't cover sideline to sideline with the speed he used to have, and outside of Suggs, who runs hot and cold, there hasn't been much of a complement to him the way we had with AD and Boulware.

Considering that the talent level right now isn't as deep or as strong at the starting positions across the board as it was in those years, I'd say this particular defense is doing as well as, and even better than, expected.

People complain about the "vanilla" looks and the inability to disguise blitzes. Do people seriously think Mattison doesn't know how to set these things up and implement them? They only work if your personnel is intelligent and talented enough to "sell" the disguised look and still play their positions. If they can't do that, then the DC can't call it.