Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Are fans down on McGahee already?

I think many of us who follow the Ravens closely in the offseason are excited as are those of us who are overall pro and college football fans because we know what Willis brings to the table from his college days in Miami and his first active year in Buffalo. I'm sure we'll see the rest of the fans warm up to Willis when they see his abilities on the field and hear/read more about him during camp, exhibition games and early part of the regular season.

Its hard to compare the McGahee trade to the hoopla surrounding the McNair trade last year, because fans were more familiar with McNair being a 10+ year pro from a team formerly in the same division that we still somewhat consider a rival. McGahee probably played the Ravens head to head 2 or 3 times but really didn't have any memorable moments against the Ravens, while we all probably saw McNair play the Ravens 15 - 20 times and twice in the playoffs and I know I found myself cussing him more times than I care to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    I am again disappointed in our FO for overpaying in major trades for two years in a row.
    I know you are a McNair-hater, T, but how can you say we overpaid for him in the trade? We essentially just traded down 6 spots in the 4th round to get him, plus we get an extra 4th rounder on top of that.

As for McGahee, chances are very strong we get a 3rd rounder next year for the AD loss, so he essentially is costing us a 3rd rounder and 7th rounder this year. Not exactly breaking the bank.

If you are talking about his contract, would you rather give all that money to Jamal? Or depend on Musa, who seems to be made of glass?

McGahee's injury and attitude history has me concerned a bit, but I don't know how anyone who has followed this team as closely as you have can say we didn't just get a huge upgrade at RB.

I lost all respect for Jamal after this season when he bemoaned the bone spurs or chips he had and that was why he did not produce like he could have....he always has an excuse....Willis will be a nice change and we needed a change....the FO obviously does not think Mike Anderson suits our needs, so Willis comes into the fold. I agree that I look forward to passes out of the backfield to Willis. What would Mr. Drummond say?...haha

I thought Ozzie and the staff did an outstanding job bringing in a quality back to fill the void. We would have more than likely gotten Wm with lesser picks but the Titans entered in to the equation and Ozzie offered what he needed to seal the deal.

Two thirds and a seventh for a starting caliber running back is not allot, especially when the third pick this season is the 92nd pick.

I wouldn't worry too much about your neighbor or friends fretting about the Ravens picking up WM.

These same fans more than likely said atleast some of the following;

"We can't lose Phil Savage, he's the brains behind the Ravens"
    "Darn, the Browns signed Gary Baxter"
    "Who's going to play Linebacker now that Hartwell left?"
    "No, Ma'ake Kemoeatu signed with Carolina"
    "What are we going to do withouit Will Dermps?"
    "How will we replace Tony Weaver?"
    "McNair is old, he won't play a whole season, plus Ozzie gave him too much money"
    "Trevor Pryce is over the hill"
    "The offensive line needs rebuilding, quarterback isn't the problem"
    "What, the Browns signed Zastudil?"

And so on.........:hammer:

Judging from past performance the Ravens front office deserves the benefit of the doubt until the move proves otherwise.
    Last edited by RustonRifle; 03-29-2007 at 01:13 PM.

I'm in wait and see mode with McGahee. I loved him in college. I don't love his production in Buffalo. There are many factors that could have caused the poor production (poor o-line, 8-9 guys in the box, Willis not wanting to be there) so he may look a heck of a lot better in purple. But I want to see it first.

What we gave up to get him and the contract that is essentially a 4 year deal are both fine if he gives us bare minimum 1500 combined yards (rushing and recieving) and 8 TDs.

I'd like to see at least 1600-1700 combined and 10-12 TDs.

I'm ecstatic about the Diff'rent Strokes Ozzie took to bring Willis to B-More!
    He's a gamebreaker, folks and he has two of his fellow Hurricane idols (Ray and Ed) in the locker room to mentor and fuel his competitive fires...

This kid will be a beast provided our line is anywhere near where they were last season... Once that vertical game opens up as a result, it's up, up and away for our side of the scoreboard...I think I'll order my #23 McGahee jersey today!

I've got my 52 and 20 Jerseys... My Wife has 86... I may get an offensive jersey yet... that is unless my wife ands up getting a 23 first.
    Keeping the purple flowing way out on the West Coast!

Quote Originally Posted by RustonRifle View Post
    These same fans more than likely said atleast some of the following;

"We can't lose Phil Savage, he's the brains behind the Ravens"
    "Darn, the Browns signed Gary Baxter"
    "Who's going to play Linebacker now that Hartwell left?"
    "No, Ma'ake Kemoeatu signed with Carolina"
    "What are we going to do withouit Will Dermps?"
    "How will we replace Tony Weaver?"
    "McNair is old, he won't play a whole season, plus Ozzie gave him too much money"
    "Trevor Pryce is over the hill"
    "The offensive line needs rebuilding, quarterback isn't the problem"
    "What, the Browns signed Zastudil?"

And so on.........:hammer:

Judging from past performance the Ravens front office deserves the benefit of the doubt until the move proves otherwise.
    Love It!!!
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

Just ordered my McGahee #23 jersey on NFL dot com!

It will be delivered by the middle of next month!! WOOHOO!

"Now the world don't move, to the beat of just one drum...
    What might be right for you, may not be right for sooooome..."

Quote Originally Posted by Fanman View Post
    I spoke w/ several Ravens fans at work recently and I seem to be the only one excited about getting Willis McGahee. What is the feedback others have seen since the trade? I expected fans to be very happy about it, but that doesn't seem to be the case so far. Is it just me?

FM
    You are talking about Baltimore fans. We will find some reason to be unhappy even if it is obsessing over things that happened 23 years ago that no one living outside of Baltimore, or was born after 1975, cares about anymore.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Hey, I live in California... and was born in 75... I care...

Oh wait... I'm a Baltimore fan...

But I'm still jazzed about Willis! I think he is gonna rock!
    Yay!
    Keeping the purple flowing way out on the West Coast!

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    mista t, i'm confused how we overpaid?

We didn't trade away any picks for either McNair or McGahee that the FO didn't believe would be replaced with comp picks, except, perhaps, the third round pick this year (though, we did get 2 fourth round comps).

We basically traded nothing for McNair and a third round pick for McGahee (we'll have a 3rd round comp next year, book it)

Im confused as well,if you look at the contract it is basically a 4 yr deal for $20million.How that is overpaying I will never know,and as we have discussed those draft picks arent worth as much as you might think.Being that we pick at the end of the round,one is for next year(which lowers the value a round) and the 7th rounder is literally worth NOTHING we gave up the equivalent of a late 3rd rounder for the guy.

Pretty cheap for a RB in his prime that has a LOT of tread left on the tires.