Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Ravens biggest draft day bust

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    if people are already calling Kindle a bust because he fell down the stairs and went out for the year, Cody can be called a bust for constantly injuring himself in practices.
    It was very inconsiderate of Cody to keep injuring himself.

I think of draft busts as guys who were picked high but didn't have the ability we thought they had. Not guys who get injured and can't play.

Based on that it's Boller.

When a team only has two busts on first rounders in as many years as the Ravens have been drafting they are not doing bad. Not bad at all.

I remember the dark years of the Baltimore Colts, before Irsay moved the team, when we drafted such notables as Ken Novak, Art Schlicter, and Reese McCall in the first round.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lap View Post

I think of draft busts as guys who were picked high but didn't have the ability we thought they had. Not guys who get injured and can't play.

I am in a pissy mood and think they all suck! They all were a bunch of bust and waste of draft picks. I am not talking about Kindle, but the slapdicks in the poll above. All of them were a waste, yea Boller was a great guy but who gives a shit? He didn't win a Super Bowl so he does me no good.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorebirds_24 View Post
    I am in a pissy mood and think they all suck! They all were a bunch of bust and waste of draft picks. I am not talking about Kindle, but the slapdicks in the poll above. All of them were a waste, yea Boller was a great guy but who gives a shit? He didn't win a Super Bowl so he does me no good.
    Crickey!!! PMSing?

Quote Originally Posted by bmorebirds_24 View Post

LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lap View Post

Based on that it's Boller.

When a team only has two busts on first rounders in as many years as the Ravens have been drafting they are not doing bad. Not bad at all.

I remember the dark years of the Baltimore Colts, before Irsay moved the team, when we drafted such notables as Ken Novak, Art Schlicter, and Reese McCall in the first round.
    Not only as many first Rounders that aren't busts, but first round HOFers. We're spoiled, can not complain.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Crickey!!! PMSing?
    Something like that but worse! Dealing with a pregnant woman! She makes me hate everyone w/o a penis!

How much you get out of a pick isn't the only factor in determining how much of a bust someone is or isn't. The problem in comparing Boller to Cody isn't as simple as saying "Well at least he played some good games while Cody did nothing so Cody's a bigger bust." There are two factors far more important, both of which clearly make Boller the bigger bust of the two.

1) The cost
    Boller cost WAY more than Cody, both in draft picks and in dollars. Think of it like this... Would you rather pay $5 and get nothing for it, or pay $50 and have someone hand you a box full of dog sh*t?

2) Setting back the franchise
    Far more important than any other factor is the fact that, even though Boller had a few good games, he greatly impeded the success of the franchise. Everything invested in a first round QB, when that QB turns out to be very bad, it sets the franchise back significantly. Even if you see them perform badly one year, you're left waiting to see if they'll develop into something more. Take the Arizona Cardinals as the counter-example to where we were in Boller's first year. After this year, it's almost assured the Cardinals will address the QB position. They'll likely draft someone high, and/or attempt to fill with a better stop-gap player while their draft pick develops. Next year, the position will likely improve, and at some point if their draft pick hits, the position will be solid again.

With Boller, we wound up waiting for three years to see if he panned out. Then we had to go get that stop-gap solution which worked out okay for one year and wound up blowing up in our faces the next year. We then addressed it again in the draft - five years after Boller was drafted - with a guy that fortunately turned out to be good right out of the gate, cause if he wasn't it would have been another year or two of damage.

Boller set this franchise back for years. We eventually got the right guy, but it took five years for that to happen. He cost a first and second round pick doing it. There's no question he's the biggest draft bust in this franchise's history.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Blog Entries

That's not an entirely fair assesment for Boller...

Take Travis Taylor for example. TT was supposed to provide us a solid 6-10 years of #1 receiver play. Assuming TT pans out, add in Todd Heap, maybe a Derrick Mason...suddenly Boller has decent weapons like Joe has now. Boller may suddenly produce better. Once we got Derrick Mason, Boller looked semi-decent. He still sucked, I will give you that, but he showed flashes with Derrick here.

By the same notion...TT probably pans out more if we have a better QB here during his first couple years. He had Banks/Dilfer,Grbac,Redman/Blake,then Boller. so he had a different starting QB each of his first 4 years. That has to impact what he was able to do.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

What PSU said.

I find it funny that people defend Boller with the phrase "he showed flashes".

That's precisely why he is a bust!!!

Once we got Derrick Mason, Boller looked semi-decent. He still sucked, I will give you that, but he showed flashes with Derrick here.
    Terrible argument. "Showing flashes" is a worthless argument. That's all he ever did. You cannot "show flashes" in your fifth year and not be considered a bust. Mark Clayton isn't a non-bust because he "showed some flashes." Boller never produced consistently and set the franchise back at the QB position five years.

And arguing that he might have been an okay QB if only he had great weapons around him is an equally worthless argument. Needing great players to be okay doesn't make you less of a bust. He was worthless here and we stuck with him for years, which set us back badly at the most important position on the field. Boller was a gigantic bust.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

By the same notion...TT probably pans out more if we have a better QB here during his first couple years.
    When you take a WR top ten, he should make bad QBs look better. Megatron up in Detroit put up 70+ catches for 1300 yards on an 0-16 team. That's a receiver worth drafting in the top ten. TT was hot garbage.