Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Offensive Line Model and Notes vs. Dolphins (brief)

Brief Offensive Line Update vs. Dolphins 11/7/10

The short week necessitates a trimmed down line report.

Flacco had ATS on 12 of 31 pass plays and completed 9 of 11 for 123 yards in addition to a sack for 0 yards. Those plays included both TD passes (Mason, McGahee). I don’t normally label a screen for ATS, because the play develops quickly and the blockers want to release and get out front quickly. However, part of what made the McGahee TD screen (Q1, 12:20) effective was the fact they ran it on a delayed basis, so the defense was stretched further down the field. To an extreme degree, ATS led to a comfortable game of pitch and catch for the Ravens Sunday with lots of YAC.

Without ATS, Flacco was 8 of 16 for 143 yards with 3 sacks for 23 yards. His highlight play without ATS was the 34-yard pass to Rice (Q3, 11:48) which had a mess of YAC.

Oher: I gave him half of the 6-yard sack (Q3, 1:58) by Dobbins. It could certainly have gone unassigned, but Oher was beaten outside by the stunting Starks. That caused Flacco to step up in the pocket and Dobbins cleaned him up with a free run. Otherwise, Michael played well with 3 successful pulls, and a block in level 2. He’s not beating the snap count with anything like the regularity he did earlier in the year, so it will be interesting to see if the Ravens use a method of snap timing specifically designed to get him an advantage when the Ravens face some of the better rush RDEs later in the year (Williams at Houston, Harrison again in Baltimore). Scoring: 63 blocks, 3 missed, ½ sack, 60 points (.90 per play). It would be .95 per play without the ½ sack. Either way, I’d say it was MO’s best game of the year.

Grubbs: Ben’s score is probably a little better than it appeared to me subjectively. He succeeded on 5 of 7 pulls, but was beaten for a penetration on one of those (Q4, 4:24). He had 10 level 2 blocks, which is excellent mobility. He avoided being charged with a sack (Q2, 12:47) when beaten by Starks, because Soliai got there a moment sooner. Scoring: 60 blocks, 5 missed, 1.5 penetrations, 57 points (.85 per play).

Birk: Matt had his worst game as a Raven Sunday. He was beaten by Soliai for the aforementioned sack (Q2, 12:47), but also allowed a share of 4 penetrations. Scoring: 60 blocks, 2 missed, 3 penetrations (2 full plus 2 X ½), 48 points, .72 per play.

Chester: The Dolphins’ line gave the Ravens a lot of trouble on the offensive right side. Chester is still getting pushed back in the pocket. He doesn’t give up on his blocks, but sometimes effort alone isn’t enough. He connected on 4 of 6 pulls and made 5 blocks in level 2. E had a near-perfect 1st half with just 1 missed block, but was much less effective after halftime. Scoring: 57 blocks, 6 missed, 2.5 penetrations, 1 QH, 49 points (.73 per play).

Yanda: Marshal allowed a sack to Wake (Q2, 3:24) when he was beaten inside. He pulled successfully 3 times and administered 3 pancakes. In most of the games to date, I’ve been impressed with Marhsal’s effectiveness as a pass blocker at RT, but bemoaning his lack of involvement as a run blocker. This was the first game where Yanda both didn’t show up as a pass blocker and looked like his old self as a run blocker. I’ve seen the stories indicating Yanda wants to move to tackle permanently and I don’t know what the Ravens would have done without him there this year. Hwever, I still believe RT to be a misuse of his talents. Were he to return to guard, I think he’d be consistently among the best in the league. Scoring: 60 blocks, 4 missed, 2 penetrations, 1 sack, 50 points (.75 per play).

Re: Offensive Line Model and Notes vs. Dolphins (brief)

Man I don't know how we don't try to make RT a priority this off-season...

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Great stuff as always Film.

Have you done any analysis as to why or who is getting beat on 3rd and 1 plays where we run and never seem to gain any yards?
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

4. Re: Offensive Line Model and Notes vs. Dolphins (brief)

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Man I don't know how we don't try to make RT a priority this off-season...

- C -
    We need NEED NEED to re-stock the defensive front, and we need it more desparately than we need RT.

Quote Originally Posted by baltimore_hokie View Post
    We need NEED NEED to re-stock the defensive front, and we need it more desparately than we need RT.
    Certainly important, but if getting a RT puts Yanda back at RG then that would be enormous.
    Talavou and Art Jones might be something next year. Another 5 technique would be great though.

Quote Originally Posted by baltimore_hokie View Post
    If Cody and Kindle can't come in and make an impact I'm going to be very disappointed.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

7. Re: Offensive Line Model and Notes vs. Dolphins (brief)

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    If Cody and Kindle can't come in and make an impact I'm going to be very disappointed.

- C -
    I still think we need to add another piece or two to the front 7 to have the defense we expect. I think we would be a better team with Yanda at RT and one or two more guys in the front seven mix.

Needless to say, I'm expecting big things out of Kindle/Cody as soon as next year.

8. Re: Offensive Line Model and Notes vs. Dolphins (brief)

Kindle is progressing but who knows where he will be physically by next season. I hope he can do it but I'll be surprised if he hits the field.

Cody has still been limited in his reps ( I think he had about 10 against Miami) but he's got to step up.

Tavares Gooden has been injury plagued but you'd expect him to have a larger impact.

Paul Kruger is in the rotation with Pryce gone and he also needs to step up with his increased playing time.

Only Webb seems to be playing well at times but even he is only a Nickel back at this point.

So that gives you a group of young players on the defensive side that haven't done much in their pro careers at this point. They have to get it done so the old can begin to get ushered out.

Blog Entries

Guys on Radio like Wally others like Qaudry say Yanda is out of posiition @ RT.

But here are the Ravens considering leaving them there.

Oz needs to go back to draft d-buys like Nick Farley someone posted a vid on and
    then hopefully picking up a good RT in 2d or 3rd round if any are there.

Film says Cody has to learn techniques and can't bowl people over any more. Hopefully,
    Kindle will return bur nobody knows at this point.

So the primary need is a pass rusher in the first and a RT later on by the middle rounds.

Thanks FS!

Hoped.. you would analyze our RZ plays: Especially our third drive, still pretty confused what happend there.. and maybe the second and forth drive and those two late in the game.

It was like they knew exactly what we were doing in RZ.. and more.

11. Re: Offensive Line Model and Notes vs. Dolphins (brief)

I'll raise my hand. I hated the idea of Yanda playing RT. But he's playing at an all-pro level there right now. I don't see why we would WANT to move him back to guard.
    UKRavenGordon's Gametrips

2009 v Cleveland W
    2010 @ New York Jets W
    2011 (January 2012) @ New England AFCCG L

Blog Entries

Of course not.

It has to do with speed, footwork, size and skills. Former players like Wally and
    Quadry say he is out of position as RT and you missed his sack. The line would be
    much better with a healthy and happy Gaither at RT and Yanda at RG.

Film just posted that he would be the best RG in the game.

In fact, Ravens only run over Yanda 8% of the time. They run
    up the middle the most.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 11-11-2010 at 05:29 PM.