Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Ravens Greatest Draft Choices of All Time

A tight end isn't going to put up offensive player of the year numbers and it's rare they put up gaudy numbers. Todd Heap is on the small list of best tight ends in the NFL. If Heap isn't in your top 5 picks based upon your criteria my hunch is, the earth should keep rotating . So all is well.

RR,

Should Heap be put on the list yes, Top 3 like you have. No way. To me it seems like some are putting him there because he is a fan favorite.

no way is he in the same class, by anyone's standards, as JO and Ray. These are two hall of famers, Heap will not see the hall of fame yet some of you have him standing right next to the biggest draft picks to ever sign with the Ravens.

You should rethink your position, but your right all is well and the world is still spinning on its axis regardless of how I feel.
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis
    No, Thank you Ray... :ww:
    -->^78F$09U&67D!45A#54R87B)89V<--

Quote Originally Posted by crazyraven View Post
    RR,

Should Heap be put on the list yes, Top 3 like you have. No way. To me it seems like some are putting him there because he is a fan favorite..
    Some could , I don't know. I'm only sure of the critieria I used to arrive at my own list.
    From what I read you're coming off like your not a Todd Heap fan. I hope you weren't one of the vocal minority over at ravens scout who in midseason 2004 accused the man of loafing and lacking heart before he came back to play on a tore up ankle.

no way is he in the same class, by anyone's standards, as JO and Ray. These are two hall of famers, Heap will not see the hall of fame yet some of you have him standing right next to the biggest draft picks to ever sign with the Ravens.
    So the top ten Raven draft picks should end at 2? :grbac:

You should rethink your position,
    I should?
    Thus far , short of your own opinions I haven't read anything you've posted that would lead me to rethink my opinion.

1A: Ray Lewis

1B: Jon Ogden

3:Ed Reed

4:Todd Heap

5:Chris Mccallister

6:Peter Boulware

7:Adalius Thomas

8:Terrell Suggs

9:Ed Mulitalo

10: Dawan Landry

Quote Originally Posted by crazyraven View Post
    Should Heap be put on the list yes, Top 3 like you have. No way. To me it seems like some are putting him there because he is a fan favorite.
    I actually agree here. Heap is a good player, but putting him at #3 after JO and Ray Lewis seems to indicate he's some kind of perennial all star (he's not) and a hall of fame Tight End (debatably in at the absolute most optimistic angle).

Still, at #32, that's what you're looking for, so the pick itself is one of the better ones (ie, not travis taylor or boller as of right now)...but getting Ed Reed in the 20s? AD? I can't justify it to myself.

I hope you weren't one of the vocal minority over at ravens scout who in midseason 2004 accused the man of loafing and lacking heart before he came back to play on a tore up ankle.
    I dont even know what your talking about. Heap is one of my favorite players. Sorry bro, Im not up on the local baltimore radio chatter.

Thus far , short of your own opinions I haven't read anything you've posted that would lead me to rethink my opinion.
    and thats cool I dont want to change your mind or who you think is one of the top draft picks of all time. But I will say I have mentioned other players who have been defensive players of the year, Won a super bowl, Offensive player of the year, and a player who was an intergal part of 2000 defense. A TE that change the face of this team is shannon SHarpe. He was a leader and got things done. He's a little mouthy for Baltimore and not a fan favorite but he was a great player, numbers cant put a value on a guy like that. Granted we didnt draft him but he has set a standard that heap hasnt even come close to.

Please dont get it wrong I like Heap, just not so high up. Actually come to think of it, I dont even think he should be ranked higher than AD.
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis

just throwin' this out there ...

with the "helped win a SB" criteria, i would think Duane Starks would show up along with McAlister in the top 10. Comparing Starks to Heap, I have to think Heap was the better pick, although you can argue that Starks was more beneficial to the team. For that sort of reason, I don't know how good the criteria is.

Starks was a good player and he may have had a brilliant career with us if he stuck around, but just because he has a super bowl win doesn't place him above a guy like heap. However a guy like Mcalister I feel is a perfect example of a guy who if matched up in one of these top ten list againt heap you need to factor in playoffs and sb wins as an elimater. last I recall heap hasn't been part of even a playoff win and to be frank he hasn't even been the top TE in the league...shockey and Tony G have held that distinction over the years.

Todd Heap has done nothing but what he's been asked to do by the team, his numbers are very good but have been handicapped by the offensive problems of the Ravens.
    Every Raven fan should know that.
    He doesn't complain when he doesn't get balls thrown his way.
    He has never embarassed the team, the city or NFL.
    He handles himself with class and doesn't call out teammates or coaches.
    He doesn't show up opponents or showboat after a 8 yard gain.
    No constant whining about renegotiating about a contract he signed and agreed to even though he outperformed his rookie contract.
    You won't see him on Sportscenter because of these very things.

Ozzie made Heap the highest paid tight end in football when his contract was up[or close], Obviously the Professionals knew what this mans value to the organization was/is.

What Todd Heap does do is show up every Sunday, plays his behind off and a few times a season makes catches that few tight ends in history could make. Few has softer hands. I won't apologize for admiring how the man goes about his business and conducts himself. I put him at 3 because I feel he deserves it.

No constant whining about renegotiating about a contract he signed and agreed to even though he outperformed his rookie contract.
    I understand why you like him because of these things. However I don't feel that these are reasons to place him higher than a player who has more accomplishments and accolades as a Raven. Being a good citizen should be a given but we all know the problems that the NFL and the Ravens have faced over the years. So that may be clouding some peoples viewpoint.

I won't apologize for admiring how the man goes about his business and conducts himself. I put him at 3 because I feel he deserves it.
    No need to apologize for anything rife. While I dont agree with him being number 3 you are certainly entitled to put anyone you wish there. I just wish you had come back with something more substantial than just he's a good guy and has soft hands.

I understand why you like him because of these things. However I don't feel that these are reasons to place him higher than a player who has more accomplishments and accolades as a Raven. Being a good citizen should be a given but we all know the problems that the NFL and the Ravens have faced over the years. So that may be clouding some peoples viewpoint.
    I don't think its a cloudy viewpoint at all. If a player positively affects a team and thats taken into account certainly anything negative should be as well. Whether that be threatening holdouts, whining about money, getting arrested, complaining about more touches/looks, locker room issues, jailtime, positive drug tests and/or suspensions, free lancing to make the big play and getting burned, others I'm sure.
    Those are all issues that negatively affect a team and over the course of a season impact the outcome of games and should be taken into account when making a list on any players value to a organization.

Of course this is just my opinion and not the gospel

Quote Originally Posted by RustonRifle View Post
    Todd Heap has done nothing but what he's been asked to do by the team, his numbers are very good but have been handicapped by the offensive problems of the Ravens.
    Every Raven fan should know that.

Ozzie made Heap the highest paid tight end in football when his contract was up[or close], Obviously the Professionals knew what this mans value to the organization was/is.

What Todd Heap does do is show up every Sunday, plays his behind off and a few times a season makes catches that few tight ends in history could make. Few has softer hands. I won't apologize for admiring how the man goes about his business and conducts himself. I put him at 3 because I feel he deserves it.
    I agree wholeheartedly! His career has been sidelined by our inept offense, but w/ the emergence of SypNew, to block, we may see him emerge as THE premier TE in the league.