ESPN article speaks briefly of WNST's rally

Interesting read about the state of the O's

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...rry&id=2587235
    Waiting for the next one!!!

2. Re: ESPN article speaks briefly of WNST's rally

Thank GOD it's football season. Peter Angelos will never sell the team.

Re: ESPN article speaks briefly of WNST's rally

"We feel like we've bottomed out and we're going in the other direction," said Jim Duquette, the Orioles' vice president of baseball operations. "I think there's a different tone or attitude with our core fan base. 'Cautious optimism' is probably the best way to describe it."
    :grbac:

The suits in the warehouse just don't get it. 68-82. How the hell are they going in the other direction?

Good article. It was kind of sad at the same time, because I fee like we will be seeing the same article after 10 losing seasons and then again after 12, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave52
    Good article. It was kind of sad at the same time, because I fee like we will be seeing the same article after 10 losing seasons and then again after 12, etc.
    It's as predictable as the usual Angelos end of the year speech -- you know, the "We are committed to having a winning team, and I'm confident we're on the right track, and next year we will see results." He says this EVERY DAMN YEAR! And amazingly, he thinks we're dumb enough to believe him.

This is the biggest problem with Angelos -- as an owner, he is an idiot, but he doesn't realize it. He really thinks he knows what he's doing, and the fact that he's staring at nine straight losing seasons cannot penetrate his arrogance. He doesn't think it's his fault, and he apparently thinks that we are all morons because he expects us to believe his bullshit about how "we're about to turn the corner," blah blah blah. Oh, how I detest him.

It is a good article and like I said in the Nestor-bashing thread I at least commend Nestor for doing something. Thankg god we have a great FO with the Ravens and even when our team and season looks bleak they plan for the future.

The Orioles are a broken record. Great hype by Angelos that he'll sign the big names and by October we are in 4th place. Same old sh*t.

You can only hope and pray that he sells to an owner or ownership group that will take this crappy franchise back to a proud one.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

The problem that Jim Duquette doesn't understand as it relates to the O's "core fan base" is this:

In 1995, the core fan base was probably 35,000.
    In 2000, the core fan base was probably 30,000.
    In 2005, the core fan base was probably 15,000.

On 9/14/06, the core fan base is likely around 5,000-7,000.

Duquette is right...sort of. There are probably 5,000 or so brainwashed baseball fanatics who think the team really is "going in the right direction".

The 35,000 who aren't going to the games anymore know otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by df1570
    There are probably 5,000 or so brainwashed baseball fanatics who think the team really is "going in the right direction"
    The notion that anyone thinks this team is heading in the right direction is a very scary thought. How could anyone in their right mind think that?

Drew, you guys should put out a call on air for anyone who actually thinks the Orioles actually reference Baltimore too much.

Angelos is a complete toolbag. Maybe if he listened to his own voice from ~8 years ago he'd find out how to get crowds and revenue again.

I wonder what the response from the front office will be after this article. It's obviously an issue, especially since Baltimore was a baseball town for many years. I know I already know the answer, but I just don't see how amyone could let a franchise that was so respected become synonmous with the Devil Rays now.
    Waiting for the next one!!!

Here is a telling quote from the article in pressbox and from the Troll's mouth:

Is that really a fair system, where some teams virtually have no chance to compete? Is there anything MLB can do?

There is revenue sharing, there is a restriction on debt that can be incurred, there have been numerous recent innovations lessening that disparity. We haven't reached that point yet. It's just that kind of game.

For example, I was at a meeting in Milwaukee and everyone was talking about the most recent deal the Astros made giving [pitcher Roy] Oswalt $73 million for five years, $14.5 million a year. (chuckle) That is lunacy. He's going to pitch every fifth day. A good ballplayer and all that, but $14.5.million a year…now come on.
    What does that result in? That results in those $45, $46 and $47 average ticket prices. I don't want to raise ticket prices. I want the game to be accessible. But nobody wants to talk about that, they want to talk about those nine losing seasons... The Clancys, the Geppis and all the rest of the people who joined me in buying this ballclub don't want to raise the ticket prices either.

What you end up with if you don't raise ticket prices is a payroll that is respectable at $75 million, but not enough to compete with the boys who have the $45-$47 ticket average and are putting out $130-$140-million dollar payrolls. You become the loser and they become the winner. They become the admired and you are the castigated. That's baseball; I'm not complaining.

This segment tells you everything you need to know. It says:

1. The MASN money will not be used to get the Jason Schmidts and Barry Zitos of the world. You will get pitchers and players within the price range ANGELOS BELIEVES players SHOULD make. (By the way, anyone else less than impressed with MASN as I am?)

2. It tells us that Bedard, Loewen, Cabrera, and any other young talented pitchers will NOT finish their careers in Baltimore. These guys, especially Bedard, have the talent that could-could yield them $14.5M per year at some point.

My point is that it has never been about how much money we have, nor a team in DC, nor this MASN deal to "help us compete." It is about what Angelos feels/dictates what a ballplayer should make. It is why Vladi is not here, and it lends validity to the thought that the Sorrento offer was a B.S. offer. (I maintain that the offer to Tejada was a B.S. offer as well, but the team was surprised when Tejada took the deal, but that is just me).

Basically, get Carlos Lee, Soriano, Tex, Zito, Schmidt, etc., out of your heads. Think Julio Franco, and Jose Cruz, Jr. We may bring in a broken down and washed up Barry Bonds, but it won't be out of a motivation to win.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!