Now That Sunday's High Has Cleared, Let's Get Serious

It is funny how bipolar we are as fans to our Ravens. We have folks on the radio, and on various messageboards having us to go 15-1, or allowing less than 168 points, etc. Had we lost Sunday, you what type of threads and callers would have flooded the radio stations.

It is great that we pimpslapped the Bucs this past Sunday, but I don't want to overlook any team.

It is a realistic expectation that we could be 3-0 at the start of our season, but it depends on our guys not overlooking the Stains nor the Raiders. Our guys need to bring it hard each week. I really think the Bucs failed, in part, because they underestimated us and were probably more focused on the Falcons. I don't want us to make that same mistake and underestimate the Raiders and Stains and focus on the Chargers.

My hope is that we can finish our first 8 games at 6-2, because the second half of our schedule is rough and we could just go .500 the rest of the way to finish with a 10-6 season.

At this point, I will stick with a realistic expectation of a 10-6 season even if Boller has to start two of those games. Thoughts?
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Re: Now That Sunday's High Has Cleared, Let's Get Serious

I agree 100% with your assessment. 10-6 at this point is realistic; however, it was reassuring to see them play with the same focus, passion, and discipline that characterized their Super Bowl season. I really believe the Ravens are at an advantage compared to that year, because they will have McNair, hopefully, for the entire year - this guy brings confidence to the entire team that has not been present since Dilfer was at the reins. Go Ravens!

Ravenjoe

I said 10-6 in August and I'm sticking with it. Obviously, if they can continue to beat quality opposition on the road that will go a long way towards a better record.

Before I pick winners of games in week 10 for example, I need to see that they can sustain this type of effort and intensity. If we get through the next 3 games having beat up on the weak sisters and put a good winning effort up against SD at home, then I think we can call them for real.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Well, obviously it doesn't matter what WE as fans think, but i sorta get your point about fans being bi-polar. I'm definitely happy to see such a convincing win, over a quality football team. And although it's only one game, it does mean something.

But with that said, it's only one game, and we're only 1-0. And I believe the Ravens are already looking past the the Tampa victory. Billick was quoted a couple days ago on PTI as saying something along the lines of, "it's only one game, and right now our guys only have Silver & Black on their minds."

These guys are professional athletes, that have been competing their entire lives. They're dying to make up for what happened last year. And they no better than to dwell on ONE win, and start looking past teams. Don't expect the coaches to let anyone look past it either. All that combined with the fact that it's the home opener, should equate to advantages for the Ravens.

I wouldn't expect a "blowout", but if i was a betting man, i'd definitely go with Baltimore. It may be more along the lines of a 20-10, 23-10 type of game imo.

Anyway, as a fan I'm not looking past it. And as for the players & coaches, you can bet that they aren't either.

I totally agree. Although it would be nice to be 15-1, I also see 9-7 or 10-6. I was excited for us to win the way we did. But 10 minuts after the game, my high went down. We have 15 more games to play, and we all know Week 1 is always surprise week. I just don't want to get my hopes up too high just yet.

Now, if we are 5-3 or 6-2 by Week 9, then I may change my tune.......
    Waiting for the next one!!!

10-6 was my August prediction too, but I'm not afraid to say that I'm suddenly more optimistic about what this team can accomplish. If they can sustain their effort in Tampa, they can have a great year. I think the San Diego game in Week 4 will be an interesting test -- hell, we can't even assume the game in Cleveland is a sure thing, seeing as how we've lost there the past couple of years. But beating Oakland will probably not tell us anything, because after only one week, the Raiders already look like the worst team in the league.

Btw, I disagree that the Bucs overlooked us. They just got outplayed and outcoached (their game plan on offense sucked).

I must agree with 10-6. Just our division alone is cause for tough sledding....you cant ignore 4 games against the stillers and bengals..

We need to stop dreaming. Let's get past the Raiders. If we win ,we will be 2-0 then lets look at the possibility of going 3-0. There is a lot of football left to be played--its only been one game. It would be dangerous for the ravens to start thinking ahead like the fans and prediciting wins and losses. Lets relax and enjoy the ride and look at whats in front of us.

God Bless Ray Lewis and Steve McNair

I will stick to my 12-4
    Your Local Embroidery and screen printing Company..
    Cecil Countys Number 1 Raven Fan

The only thing that has changed is that I (and I'm sure other fans) had a sinking feeling in their stomachs that some of our preseason hopes could be shattered instantly as they were in 2005-06.

That went away with the Tampa game, for at least I saw that we'll be bringing passion to the game, if not execution. And reduction of the unbelievable stupid plays / penalties that we had gotten into the habit of.

With a realistic approach, some of the weaknesses of the team are still there that have been oft discussed; e.g., the right side of the o-line.

But what I am the most happy about? Its our emerging youth. Its funny how the media calls our team old, when its a core of "big name" veterans who are older -- McNair, Lewis, Stover, Ogden.

However, when I look at the youth in the secondary and compare that to 2005's crew of the decepit Sanders / Carter and I think of some of the first and second year rookies who are going to step up this year -- Landry, Koch, Ngata. Heap / Reed are in the prime of their careers.

I also think that people should not underestimate how much better Billick will manage this season. He seems to be avoiding a lot of the energy wasters from the seasons before (all you have to do is turn on a parcells newscast to be reminded of that) and is going to manage this team intelligently.

Now if we could just learn how to convert third and short on a routine basis . . . .

Ray and the boys respect Oakland.

Ive read numerous articles that support this.

We need to chill. We will be ready for Oakland. It should be a fun game.
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz
    It is funny how bipolar we are as fans to our Ravens. We have folks on the radio, and on various messageboards having us to go 15-1, or allowing less than 168 points, etc. Had we lost Sunday, you what type of threads and callers would have flooded the radio stations.

It is great that we pimpslapped the Bucs this past Sunday, but I don't want to overlook any team.

It is a realistic expectation that we could be 3-0 at the start of our season, but it depends on our guys not overlooking the Stains nor the Raiders. Our guys need to bring it hard each week. I really think the Bucs failed, in part, because they underestimated us and were probably more focused on the Falcons. I don't want us to make that same mistake and underestimate the Raiders and Stains and focus on the Chargers.

My hope is that we can finish our first 8 games at 6-2, because the second half of our schedule is rough and we could just go .500 the rest of the way to finish with a 10-6 season.

At this point, I will stick with a realistic expectation of a 10-6 season even if Boller has to start two of those games. Thoughts?
    I think we have a real chance to start season 4-0 now that we took care of Tampa Bay.:hammer: :hammer: