Defensive Notes—Ravens vs. Broncos 10/10/10

It’s unusual that an opponent can average 6.7 yards per offensive play and not ever be in the game, but that is what happened Sunday. Save for the goal line stand, the Ravens moved the ball effortlessly on their first 3 drives, rolled up a 17-0 lead, and were never challenged. The Broncos got yardage in big chunks (6 plays of 19+ yards), but were unable to keep their defense off the field as the Ravens rolled for 233 rushing yards and 73 offensive plays to 52 for the Broncos.

If you’re one of those people who requires a concern, perhaps it’s the Ravens inability to close. To summarize:

• The goal line result on the Ravens’ initial series was unfortunate, but the Ravens had Ed Dickson on the field at TE for 2 of those plays rather than Oniel Cousins as an extra mauler.
    • The coaching staff exercised questionable clock management that led to a 45-second drive at the end of Q2 despite the fact that the Broncos would have been content to let the clock run out and the Ravens had collected 6 yards of offense on the previous 3 drives. That set up Orton’s first TD to Lloyd.
    • They were unable to corral 3 more interceptions, any of which would have been difficult, but at least 1 of which should have been converted.

There was a lot to like about this game, but this is a game the Ravens should have won by a larger margin.

The Broncos had no excluded plays (spikes, kneels) among 52 snaps:

Overall:

Vs. the Run: 13 plays, 39 yards, 3.0 YPC
    Vs. the Pass: 39 plays, 307 yards, 7.9 YPP
    Overall: 52 plays, 346 yards, 6.7 YPPA

By number of defensive backs

Standard (4 DBs): 14/97, 6.9 YPPA
    Nickel (5 DBs): 22/140, 6.4 YPPA
    Dime (6 DBs): 16/109, 6.8 YPPA, 1 sack

By number of pass rushers

3 or fewer: 4 plays, 91 yards, 22.8 YPP, 2 TDs
    4: 16/127, 7.9 YPPA, 1 sack
    5: 9/56, 6.2 YPPA
    6: 7/15, 2.1 YPPA
    7+: 3/18, 6.0 YPPA.

Individual Notes:

• Ngata’s ill-fated pass route on the Ravens’ initial drive cost him the defensive start as he sat out most of the first series. He would not return for any further offensive action, but nonetheless played well in 33 defensive snaps. His 3 tackles equate to perhaps 6 against an opponent that would run the ball a league average amount. His personal defensive highlights included smothering Buckhalter for a 3-yard loss (Q2, 4:26) where he penetrated the right A gap and a dropping Brown for a 1-yard loss (Q3, 9:08). However, his biggest 2 plays came in a supporting role. With the Broncos at the Ravens 27 on 1st and 10 (Q2, 1:01), Ngata crashed the left A gap and forced a double from Walton and Hochstein. Ray Lewis followed immediately. Walton peeled off Nagta, but was flagged for holding Lewis. Ngata also played a big role in the intentional grounding call on Orton (Q4, 4:22). On that play, Ngata steamrolled Walton, then tripped over his prostrate form. Orton saw Ngata and dumped the ball off into the wide-open flat. Suggs stunted right from LDE, following Ngata to clean up with a QH, but it does not appear Terrell’s pressure caused Orton to bail.
    • We have already heard plenty about the Ravens’ receivers all wanting their catches. There simply aren’t enough snaps to get the full extent of secondary depth on the field for the Ravens. On Sunday they played their base 4 of Washington, Carr, Zibby, and Landry for all 52 snaps, but Wilson and Webb split the nickel and dime snaps on the outside, essentially alternating by series. Nakamura was limited to play only as the dime and he split those snaps with Ken Hamlin. Hamlin had 7 non-penalty snaps, Nakamura 9, Webb 18, and Wilson 20. Cary Williams was active, but played only on special teams.
    • Washington’s game has been lauded already by Harbaugh and he limited Brandon Lloyd while he was on his side. Lloyd caught only 5 of the 14 balls with which he was targeted. I can’t recall a Raven ever recording more than 4 PDs in a single game and all of Fabian’s came against the NFL’s leading receiver (by yards) in the first half. Washington’s other highlight was a hold drawn on Thomas (Q1, 7:34) that wiped out Royal’s 33-yard run. He was not perfect (nor does he need to be) in coverage, allowing a 19-yard strike to Gaffney (Q2, 1:11) and a 14-yard catch with 11 YAC to Lloyd (Q3, 14:53).
    • No TV angle followed the action between Washington and Lloyd on his first TD (Q2, 0:57). Washington lined up at RCB opposite Lloyd and covered him as the route began. From the angle in the backfield, Orton pump faked and threw to the back of the end zone. From the end zone replay, Washington is a distant image as the Broncos’ receiver is covered only by Dawan Landry with Fabian perhaps 20 yards away. It doesn’t really make sense to me that the Ravens would have been playing zone on Lloyd in that situation. I have to infer that Washington bit on the pump or perhaps a move by Lloyd. The ball was thrown perfectly and despite Landry’s use of the end line as a defender, Lloyd would have had a TD even had Orton thrown that pass into double coverage.
    • Orton consistently picked on Wilson when he was in. Wilson is credited with 2 PD’s, either of which would have been a difficult interception. I could see little contact at all on the pass interference call (Q4, 1:48), but he was beaten deep to the right corner by Lloyd (Q4, 0:43). That’s as far as a safety ever needs to go, but Zibby was late and the ball was thrown almost perfectly. Wilson otherwise played somewhat soft, but made sure tackles.
    • Webb was effective in coverage and contributed 6 tackles (gains of 10, 2, 3, 10, 9, 5) in just 18 defensive snaps while not surrendering a big play. That includes one tackle which was miscredited to Washington (Q1, 8:07). Normally, tackles aren’t a good statistic for a corner, but Webb makes tackles on other DB’s assignments as much as any CB I have seen. His tackle on Gronkowski (Q2, 7:30) was just such a play from across the field. Almost every game, he does something athletically that is just astounding. I’d refer you to his failed route jumping on Gaffney (Q2, 1:57). He tried for the PD/pick, failed, and is still able to drag down Gaffney for a gain of just 3. That was a play that would typically result in significant YAC.
    • For the game, the Ravens played a standard 4 DB set on just 14 of 52 plays (27%) as the Broncos played a number of 3 and 4-receiver packages. The loss of Thomas on the violent kickoff/fumble (Q2, 10:18) reduced the number of combinations, but the Broncos still had Royal, Gaffney, and Lloyd on the field for a number of plays.
    • With a limited run game, Lewis’ contributions were reduced. He had 6 tackles that were 7, 2, 6, 8, 3, and 7 yards from the line of scrimmage, so it wasn’t a typical game of gap shooting for Ray. However, 4 of the above 6 were offensive failures based on down and distance. He was held twice on pass plays. The first is mentioned above with the notes on Ngata. The second (Q2, 3:45) occurred when Hochstein held him on a delayed blitz to wipe out a 17-yard gain.
    • Redding played well in his most extensive action to date (41 snaps). His sack (Q2, 7:43) came on a stunt to the ORS. RT Ryan Harris was too slow and Redding cleaned up as Suggs initially pressured Orton off the spot. Redding’s other highlight came at Q2, 5:49 when he penetrated to stop Brown for no gain.
    • The Ravens’ only ineffective play against the run (Q2, 5:12) came on 3rd and 1 when Suggs lost the edge to Daniel Graham which set Maroney free for a 13-yard run off right end. That was to be the Broncos only rushing 1st down of the day. Their 3 other runs over 5 yards were for 7 yards on 2nd and 20 (Q1, 6:57), 8 yards on 3rd and 11 (Q2, 13:45), and 7 yards on 1st and 15 (Q2, 8:24).
    • Suggs and JJ otherwise set the edges well and contributed some pressure. Johnson’s highlights were a QH as he beat Harris to the outside, a takedown of Maroney for a loss of 1 as he beat Clady to the outside, and pressure after a nifty avoidance of Harris’ cut block (Q3, 13:32) which caused Orton to misfire. In addition to the plays noted above, Suggs beat Harris (Q3, 8:25) to take down Buckhalter for a loss of 1. JJ contributed a nice finishing hit on that play.
    • The Ravens rushed 3 men or less on just 4 pass plays, but those included both of the TD bombs to Lloyd. For the first half, the Ravens rushed fewer, but had what I scored as 7 deceptive blitzes on 17 pass plays. In the 2nd half, the Ravens switched to numbers as they rushed 6 or more 8 times on 22 drop backs.

The Ravens continued to make picking 3 important defensive plays difficult by not recording a defensive takeaway Sunday, so I won’t try.

Re: Defensive Notes—Ravens vs. Broncos 10/10/10

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    • No TV angle followed the action between Washington and Lloyd on his first TD (Q2, 0:57). Washington lined up at RCB opposite Lloyd and covered him as the route began. From the angle in the backfield, Orton pump faked and threw to the back of the end zone. From the end zone replay, Washington is a distant image as the Broncos’ receiver is covered only by Dawan Landry with Fabian perhaps 20 yards away. It doesn’t really make sense to me that the Ravens would have been playing zone on Lloyd in that situation. I have to infer that Washington bit on the pump or perhaps a move by Lloyd. The ball was thrown perfectly and despite Landry’s use of the end line as a defender, Lloyd would have had a TD even had Orton thrown that pass into double coverage.
    Film...that was as obvious Cover 2 as I've seen. In that coverage, Washington is supposed to get his hands on the WR...which he did although it was a relatively minor push...and cover the flat.

That was ALL on Landry and the complete lack of a pass rush to give Orton the time to pump fake Landry.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Film...that was as obvious Cover 2 as I've seen. In that coverage, Washington is supposed to get his hands on the WR...which he did although it was a relatively minor push...and cover the flat.

That was ALL on Landry and the complete lack of a pass rush to give Orton the time to pump fake Landry.
    Yes, you're right and that was pointed out by another poster as well. I missed the 3rd replay entirely, but just rewatched.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

This...looked like Landry got caught flat footed and Lloyd took off. One thin that bothers me and its not just our guys but secondary guys in general, they never try to make a play, stick their arm out, do something. When you see the WR turn his head around he's looking for the ball, y not stick ur arm out at least?

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    3 or fewer: 4 plays, 91 yards, 22.8 YPP, 2 TDs
    :grbac:

Those are some of the worst stats I ever remember reading for a 3 man pass rush. Anything in particular stand out? Missing Pryce that much?

Quote Originally Posted by Dont Know View Post
    :grbac:

Those are some of the worst stats I ever remember reading for a 3 man pass rush. Anything in particular stand out? Missing Pryce that much?
    I think both TD passes came from our 3 man rush. The first one did, for sure. I think the safety play may have been more of the culprit than the rush and also Orton just threw two excellent passes.

Orton gets a lot of credit with those two TD's. After going deep the previous play to Lloyd I just don't know what Zibby was doing that last play.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries

Thankd Filmstudy, super as always.

Did you happen to notice more movement on the d?
    It seemed to me that there were players moving during the lull between the o-line setting set and the bodies tensing anticipating the snap.

Not the organized choas of old, but it seemed to me signicifantly more movement, multiple players tsking steps in this or that direction... maybe coming back, maybe faking a quick step.
    This was not pre-snap shifting, it appeared to be just multiple players two-step shuffling to give the O something more to think about.
    Did you notice it?
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    Orton gets a lot of credit with those two TD's. After going deep the previous play to Lloyd I just don't know what Zibby was doing that last play.
    That was Landry at his best (not very good in coverage)

(Second TD)
    I'd also like to point out the fact that the D was playing soft because the game was in the bag, and also like to point out that our #4 CB was lined up with their #1 WR and if Reed is in the game that would probably be another 100+ yard INT TD.

what does somewhat bother me at times is that our CB's play RCB or LCB they never cover a player (meaning either side) Fabe was shutting down Llyod, and the first TD was all Landry, he got caught flat footed and doesn't have the make up speed to recover.

Landry in my opinion has always been suspect in coverage and although Zibby is filling big shoes and has played decent, doesn't have game changing ability as a FS, i don't see why Haruki doesn't get a shot, the guy flys to the ball.