Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yeah, but when will we know for sure?

We are 1-0, we have another probable laugher coming up on Sunday, and face a Cleveland Browns team that is in total disarray after that.

That could mean we play Denver with a 3-0 record in the bank and still not have a clue how good we are. A pleasant situation, but with pitfalls.

I'm really not very concerned about Oakland, but the Browns worry me. Yes, they are bottom feeders right now, but if there is a 'trap' game, I fear it will be that one. They usually play us tough anyway, and two blowouts in a row could very well swell some Raven egos and hatch Raven some complacency. Reassure me.
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

Re: Yeah, but when will we know for sure?

Quote Originally Posted by Art-Florida
    We are 1-0, we have another probable laugher coming up on Sunday, and face a Cleveland Browns team that is in total disarray after that.

That could mean we play Denver with a 3-0 record in the bank and still not have a clue how good we are. A pleasant situation, but with pitfalls.

I'm really not very concerned about Oakland, but the Browns worry me. Yes, they are bottom feeders right now, but if there is a 'trap' game, I fear it will be that one. They usually play us tough anyway, and two blowouts in a row could very well swell some Raven egos and hatch Raven some complacency. Reassure me.
    We play SD week 4 not Denver. We should be 4-0 going into Denver. It's a long season so don't be too concerned when we lose to a lesser team and it will happen. That's why Sunday's game was so important, the more games you win that your not supposed to the less losing to a bad team haunts you. That's usually the difference in making the playoffs. Look at last year Det,Chic,Cle,Ten we win those 4 we make it. Nobody thought we'd lose any of those last Aug.
    The Steelers: Still looking for a legit Super Bowl victory.

We play SD week 4 not Denver. We should be 4-0 going into Denver.
    I for one wont feel really good about our season's possibilities until we beat SD and prove that we can beat a really good all-around team.

OOps, that's what comes from not checking the schedule thoroughly. Yes, the San Diego game should answer a lot of questions.
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

i know one played in the nfc and the other played in the afc but, we jusk kicked in Tampas teeth in. They made the playoffs last year, San Diego didn't

Also not saying Rivers sucks but he hasn't proven anything, Brees has and he was with them last year.

I think your statement about an all around is taking away from the bucs.

Maybe Simms isn't the greatest QB but Rivers isn't exactly breaking records with his 8 completions. ( I know he didn't have to b/c the running game was so good, but I don't think the chargers will have nearly as much success trying to run against our D.)

Remember all....."Defense Wins Championships".......and we got a hell of a defense.

Art, I totally get what you're saying. Honestly, I never know for sure how good we can be year in and year out. Even our Super Bowl year, I had my doubts until the Tennessee playoff game. Sure, we had the 7 game winning streak to end the regular season, but I was worried as hell after the stinker performance the offense put up against Arizona and the mediocre showing against the Jets.

All I can say is, if we take care of business against two mediocre teams the next two weeks, we'll be 3-0. You can't be too bad in this league if you win 3 games in a row to start out the season regardless of who you're playing.

Maybe it's just me, but every year, every week, I go into it hoping for the best but fearful of the worst (like pretty much what happened last year).

Realistically, only two metrics matter - if we beat PIT and CIN, we can feel good about ourselves.

If we can't, we're looking at the scoreboard.

BS

I think our true test comes against SD. Oakland and the Clowns Offensive Lines and Defenses are garbage, the only way we lose those games are total meltdowns. San Diego has young inexperianced QB, but they have a Great O-line and the best overall runningback in the league, also a Defense that looks pretty good. The Chargers could be a hard team to beat if LT runs wild, Shutting down thier running game is the best way to beat them.

But Naturally we have to TCB against the weak teams first.

I don't know why you're locking us in at 3-0. But if we were to go 3-0, I don't care who we were up against. 3-0, is 3-0. And good football teams win.

Sure beating SD, Cinc, and Pitt would mean something. But going out and proving that we can handle "lesser" opponents is EQUALLY important... imho.

A lot of us, or at least some of us, are looking ahead to the Denver game, but I think the San Diego game will be a really interesting contest. It's hard to tell how good they are right now because Oakland appears to be so bad, but their defense appears to be top-notch. I remember vividly how they went into Indy last year and thoroughly dismantled the 13-0 Colts. They somehow managed to miss the playoffs but they were a good team then and look very good again this year. That game will be a real challenge.

I just want to win this week. I don't care what it takes or what the type of caliber team we face. We need to deal with teams week by week and Game by game--one play at a time.

Well, in 2004 we didn't know at 7-3, so I feel we won't really 'know' until we have that little y or z next to the team name in the standings. IIRC, I think I'd prefer the z.
    She had me at "Hell, NO!"