Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Draft

Re: 2011 Draft

I think we need to address RB at some point next year.

OL, RT and C.

Defense I give up for now.. I am always wrong here + the status of Fox, Reed and Kindle, and how Kruger, Art Jones and Webb and our CBs in generel is doing the rest of the year.
    Last edited by elland; 10-05-2010 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by elland View Post
    I think we need to address RB at some point next year.
    I agree. If the cap is back I expect McGahee to be gone.

McClain signed an RFA tender this offseason, did he not? Last time the team had an unrestricted FB (Mughelli), he signed elsewhere and they drafted a new guy. I could see that happen again this year assuming McClain is indeed unrestricted at the end of the season.

That leaves us with Rice and Parmele, the latter who could not get onto the field despite Rice playing hurt. That does not bode well for him as the primary backup next season.

3. Re: 2011 Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Dont Know View Post
    I agree. If the cap is back I expect McGahee to be gone.

McClain signed an RFA tender this offseason, did he not? Last time the team had an unrestricted FB (Mughelli), he signed elsewhere and they drafted a new guy. I could see that happen again this year assuming McClain is indeed unrestricted at the end of the season.

That leaves us with Rice and Parmele, the latter who could not get onto the field despite Rice playing hurt. That does not bode well for him as the primary backup next season.
    Demarco Murray out of Oklahoma could be another steal at RB in the second round. He is as physically gifted as anyone out there. He's definitely my favorite (other than Ryan Williams if he leaves) this year.

Blog Entries

As far as CB, I don't think we'll be drafting Patterson unless the season takes a U-Turn from here. ;) He's got "Ram" or "Lion" written all over him. He won't fall to anyone good, unless the Pats score big with that pick from the Raiders.

If for some reason we go WR early, I like Jon Baldwin the best of all of them -- and he'll be drafted behind the likes of Julio Jones and AJ Green. Jones IMO is the better prospect than Green; but Baldwin seems more complete to me -- looks professional -- polished -- out there. Green you can't tell because he's bogged down in that quagmire offense at Georgia; Jones disappears with all the focus on the running game, though he does have very good speed to go with his height. But in the pro game, you look for crispness, polish, hands, etc. and I think Baldwin is the best in the group. A sleeper for a later round might be Austin Pettis. He's tall but unlike most tall WRs, hasn't let that interfere with his development as a WR. You'd never know he was 6-3" watching him play -- he battles like a short guy. That kind of heart and work ethic could take him far in the NFL.

ILB I don't know a lot of prospects are jumping out at me so far this year, but Mark Herzlich is a hell of a player.

Safety I have no idea -- no Berrys or Mays' this year; and I have no ability whatsoever for deciphering who's a good O-line prospect and who isn't, so I'll see what other folks have to say about that.

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Is JJ a free agent? He's very solid, but not a great pass rusher. That's actually probably his weakest aspect of his game. He's not terrible at it, but it's not at all his strength. We need a guy that can get pressure.

Kindle maybe but we can't count on him to be a factor after what's gone on. Same with Kruger.

- C -
    He signed a reasonable 6 year deal when AD left so he should have a year or two?

Washington, Carr and Wilson are all Free Agents, what they do with them changes the draft a lot. I too would let Fabian walk.

6. Re: 2011 Draft

I've been looking at the 3-4 DE position lately as a need for the future to make this defense scary. Here are my top-4 that could reasonabl fall to us:

- Nick Fiarley (Auburn) - 24th to Colts in McShay's first Mock Draft
    - Allen Bailey (Miami) - 16th to Texans
    - Cameron Jordan (Cal) - 28th to Patriots
    - Cameron Heyward (Ohio State) - 25th to Packers

All of these guys seem explosive and stout against the run.

McShay has us taking S Rahim Moore (UCLA) with the 30th pick.

It's never too early to start talking draft....

Quote Originally Posted by baltimore_hokie View Post
    I've been looking at the 3-4 DE position lately as a need for the future to make this defense scary. Here are my top-4 that could reasonabl fall to us:

- Nick Fiarley (Auburn) - 24th to Colts in McShay's first Mock Draft
    - Allen Bailey (Miami) - 16th to Texans
    - Cameron Jordan (Cal) - 28th to Patriots
    - Cameron Heyward (Ohio State) - 25th to Packers

All of these guys seem explosive and stout against the run.

McShay has us taking S Rahim Moore (UCLA) with the 30th pick.
    I like all those guys, all of them have upside as pass rushers as well, i think Bailey probably has the most natural ability. Jordan i hear gets compared favorably to our boy Alualu

RT, C, RB, CB. Right tackle is a no brainer, just like having depth behind Birk. Running back I see, because Willis won't be here after next year and I don't see another HB that would compliment Ray Rice, on our roster. Lastly, corner. When I say corner, I don't mean the smallish, Josh Wilson corner. I mean, the 6'1", physical, up on the line corner.

10. Re: 2011 Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Dragz View Post
    RT, C, RB, CB. Right tackle is a no brainer, just like having depth behind Birk. Running back I see, because Willis won't be here after next year and I don't see another HB that would compliment Ray Rice, on our roster. Lastly, corner. When I say corner, I don't mean the smallish, Josh Wilson corner. I mean, the 6'1", physical, up on the line corner.
    My order would go as follows:

- DE: 5-technique guy to add explosiveness to this defense. Ngata has been playing that pretty well this year so far, and his 5 sacks have been a pleasant surprise. Adding a guy more explosive than Redding on the other side (Trevor Pryce a few years back-esque player) would be great. I would want more of a Chris Canty/Kalais Campbell player than Jared Odrick if he is taken in the first round. Needs to be an impact guy to justify taking early in the draft.

- RT: Strong OT class this year, so this guy would be available late in the first round. I would much rather find a mid-round pick at OT because we have spent too many early picks on the OL already.

-OLB/ILB: You just can't have enough of these guys. It's hard for us to get a read on Kindle's future, but we couldn't pass on a potentially explosive edge rusher if one is there early. One of these spots would be great if an impact player is available, but the Ravens have some intriguing options on board already.

- C/S: Veterans nearing the end of their careers. Replacements will be needed at some point in the near future, but are not strong needs at this point.

Blog Entries

Any good fullbacks coming out?

Fairley would be awesome at DE.

12. Re: 2011 Draft

Top-5 FBs:

- Owen Marecic (Stanford)

- Stanley Havili (USC)

- Charles Clay (Tulsa)

- Anthony Sherman (Uconn)

- Shaun Chapas (Georgia)