Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The refs

Blog Entries

Re: The refs

Quote Originally Posted by baltimore_hokie View Post
    That's how it is written, but my point was that I don't see it called like that. As soon as the ball is in the air and the DB is faced in the other direction, the line judge is already throwing the flag. They don't even wait to see if there is any contact in many cases.
    I agree, I see it called that way more often than not. Even if there is no contact, it PI cause he is "face guarding" as you said earlier I think that's called Defense.

There are some excellent posts in this thread! Way to go, folks! My 2-cests worth...I think the refereeing has gotten worse over the past few seasons. The more refs they put on the field (its 7 now, right?) the more obvious calls they seem to blow. And there is little consistancy...some referee teams are noticably worse than others. I know being an NFL referee is a tough job...you are under lots of pressure, in the national spotlight, and under constant scrutinity. It just seems they used to call a more even game about 15 or 20 years ago.

And the instant review booth doesn't always help, they still get calls wrong!

I agree with PSU...as much as I try to convince myself there is no conspiracy against some teams, then I see the flag on Suggs in week-2 for the text-book perfect tackle on Palmer. That is about as bad as it gets. I'd say that the Steelers, Patriots, and Cowboys get more than their fair share of close calls. Put Indy in there to a less extent, and there may be some others too. I never complain out loud to people because I don't want to sound like some Deadskin fans I know...They always whine about referees every game they lose. Im sick of hearing it from them.

Like Billick said, don't put yourself in a position where one bad call from a ref can cost you the game, thats not always easy to do. Seems a lot of our games have been really close, and every call becomes magnified.

And spotting of the ball after a tackle, what is with that? Somtimes they miss the spot by a foot, even by 2 feet now and then. Some of the missed spots have gone in our favor, so its about even, but its still wrong. Its a shame.

Blog Entries

I guess its OK that we bitch about calls/non-calls (although I think its stupid on our part), but I just wish Ray Lewis would quit bitching after a loss when there are iffy calls. We've been the recipient of some iffy calls that helped us win so it goes both ways IMO.

There is a conspiracy against Bmore..I can not remember a game without a BS call going against us. I have a thought for the stupid ass ref's...while you huddle debating how to screw us...wait a minute, watch it on the board and listen to the 70K plus fans who saw it differently than you. I almost lost my Crown Royal when I heard, "THERE ARE 2 PENALTY'S ON THE OFFENSE" when Heap was beat the hell up. Who can forget the Suggs hit on the QB that was questionably touched. They need to allow for penalty calls to be reviewed. I know that is not popular but if you only have 2 challenges you should be able to challenge game changing BS calls that cost us the game.

Or Brady asking for a flag and getting it, or Heaps invisible call 2 years ago against the Bengals, or the famous overturned call when Shitsburgh caught the ball on our goaline and indisputable evidence was seen by the naked eye when computer generated models could barely make a call, or the game that went to overtime when the fielgoal was ruled no good (but it was good) and the ref went to look at the replay even though it was not a re- playable play at the time. (BTW we lost in OT) Christ these are calls that cost us games!!! The Refs fucked up the SB in favor of the inbreds and finally years later they admit it. WTF!!! DAMN IT...I am feeling suicidal now!!!
    Last edited by Raven Nurse; 09-28-2010 at 09:47 PM.
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

Blog Entries

I think there's something there but it's subconscious, and conspiracy calls are over the top. Reffing is not that great at the best of times but I remember reading an interview with Tom Brady in which he said before the game he talks to the head ref about family stuff to create a good impression in the hopes that it may make them more sympathetic to him in terms of decisions they give.

When the Ravens have been recognised in the past season as the most penalised team in the league and they are out in front of the cameras complaining about officials and calls it is going to have some effect. It may not be a conscious thing on the part of the referees, but somewhere in their head they will take that on board and will be less likely to give the Ravens the benefit of the doubt on the borderline calls and maybe see more intent in stuff than there really is.

As much as I agree with Ray in what he has said the last year or two, I don't think he's helping the team by talking to the media about it. There are processes to deal with these things and I'm sure they get done behind the scenes.