Heroes & Goats (Field Goal Edition)

DISCLAIMER: The thoughts and opinions expressed in Heroes & Goats are mine alone and have in no way have been influenced or tainted by the fine members of the Ravens 24x7 staff. After having two days since the Catastrophe in Cincy to cool off, I would expect that many of you, my fellow Ravens fans, would be ready to try something new and actually tell me who your top 5 Heroes, Goats and Honorable Mentions are. I'll give you my top 2 in each category for now and let's see if we're on the same page. And for the love of Haruki, I hope this doesn't start another $#!tstorm around here!

HEROES:

1) RAY LEWIS- Led the team in tackles (what else is new?), sacks and overall defensive energy, intensity and leadership. Your verbal bitch-smacking of the NFL and it's pole-smoking policy on coddling the QB at all costs made me feel a little better after a loss where the offense was as negligent as the officiating. One question though... Why don't you age like normal people?

2) DERRICK MASON- Despite only catching one pass, you made sure it counted and snagged our offense's second TD of the season...Another ageless wonder who I believe is going to Canton someday if you have two more productive seasons. You have the best TD celebration on the team as well...:respect

Honorable Mentions:

1) Lardarius Webb- "The Future" is back! My favorite young Raven acquitted himself quite nicely in helping effectively shut down the Bengals' passing attack, looking comfortable moving around and cutting on that surgically repaired knee. See if you or Ed Reed can show Zibby how to catch and hold onto footballs that land directly in his freakin hands though, wouldya?

2) Terrell Suggs- Trust me, we know you didn't do anything more than tackle Carson Palmer as he was attempting to get rid of it. Those refs were looking for the malice in your dark, evil heart and with the way you were harassing Palmer, I shouldn't blame them. Keep up the good work, Sizzle.

GOATS:

1) JOE FLACCO- Two games into the season and paisano, you have more turnovers than the Broad Street Bakery.:( Calling you Overthrow Joe right now would be an understatement and many of your passes sail out of bounds or are simply off target due to poor footwork and/or mechanics, especially over the middle. Time to dig deep and find your inner-Bert Jones, son. I'm sick of your inner-Elvis Grbac and he's only been here for two games.:grbac::grbac:

2) NFL OFFICIALS- Roughing the Passer? Illegal Tripping?!! You sumbitches are the ones who are trippin'!! It's nothing new for Ravens fans, but when I see no flag thrown after two Stooler stooges piledrive Vince Young on his skull, I continue to lose respect for the zebras/goats. I hope that accidental slap in the nuts Harbs gave you leads to testicular bleeding at night...:grbac::grbac:

*There you have it... Let's see your H&Gs for the week...

Blog Entries

Re: Heroes & Goats (Field Goal Edition)

Fabian had a rock solid game. I've been pleasantly surprised with him so far.

I think TJ earns a Goat... 4 passes dropped... And check out the Adam Jones INT... http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...als-highlights

Just bizarre... I really think he forgot that he was on the Ravens b/c he was right next to Adam, but instead of tackling him, it looks like he's running away to make a block on a Raven :grbac:

Blog Entries

Question Re: Heroes & Goats (Field Goal Edition)

I think it is time to add another category.

Dis-Honorable Mentions

Cam Cameron:
    His inability to adjust to Joe sucking and his inability to game scheme against a cover 2. Cam put your pride aside and when the game plan is not working go to plan B (Run the Rock with Rice from Rutgers). Cam there is a Plan B right?

O-Line:
    The pocket was like an absorbed sponge SQEEZED tight with a dirty release of water, it Stunk. Not a lot of sacks rendered but man I though Chris Chester was playing FB, by the time he engaged his assignment he was stepping on Joes toes, unless Joe took a 7 step drop and then it was a matter of 1.5 - 2.5 seconds.

T.J Dropped his Mama:
    He add 3 critical drops that would have kept drives alive and were big gains. For a minute I raised the question, that maybe during the Handshake before the game Carson said C'Mon man help us out.

Honorable Mention +
    Ngata
    Washington 3 PD's and tight coverage, except the slip
    Carr also played well, a few big plays
    Secondary in whole played well minus the INT drops, we need to come up with those.
    Last edited by Sua Sponte; 09-21-2010 at 03:44 PM.

Cam Cameron has to be a goat. He should have kept feeding the ball to Rice when he saw Joe was struggling. Rice was starting to get some good yards in the second half yet Cam kept calling for the pass.

And some of those play calls were just weird. It's 3rd and 5 and they do a bomb down field to Houshmandzadeh?

Always look forward to this thread- good job as always!

I agree with Losac - Cam's offensive strategy, and his apparent inability to adjust, deserves Goat of the week award.

I defended Joe last week. But this week is different - he needs to think quicker on his feet, and make better decisions, not to mention his poor footwork. The OL also needs to get Gaither back, so we can get Yanda back to where he belongs, Right Guard.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Ngata on the heroes list.
    Washington should get an honorable mention.

Cam definitely belongs on the goats list, 100%.
    Housh dropped like 4 catchable balls.
    The OL was really bad. Didn't give up sacks but Joe was under pressure all day long.
    Defensive players dropping interceptions - there were three on Sunday - deserves either a goat or a dishonorable mention.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Flacco? A Goat! How can you say that when he threw a touchdown pass to Mason!!
    No, Seriously...

I would add 3 more heroes :

1. Haloti Ngata - played like a beast possessed!

2. Fabian Washington & Chris Carr - Essentially shut down Batwoman & RobinEgg.

This was the most disappointing part of the game for me. I figured if we lost, it would be because these two torched our secondary & Benson ran for over 100, again. The fact that we shut all three down and still managed to lose was just heart-breaking.

Oh yeay, and one more big Goat to join Flacco, Cam! I think he forgot we had Ray Rice on the team after he broke that 31 yard run! Unless he figured, "OK I got Ray his yards, time to play with my other toys!"
    ... They shall mount up with wings as Eagles;

Blog Entries

I'd like to add Chris Carr to the honorable mention. And Cam to the goat list

Cam is a goat.

I'm giving my boy Oher a Hero. The Bengals get after the QB but Mr. BlindSide held his own.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by Gwaihir View Post
    Flacco? A Goat! How can you say that when he threw a touchdown pass to Mason!!
    No, Seriously...

I would add 3 more heroes :

1. Haloti Ngata - played like a beast possessed!

2. Fabian Washington & Chris Carr - Essentially shut down Batwoman & RobinEgg.

This was the most disappointing part of the game for me. I figured if we lost, it would be because these two torched our secondary & Benson ran for over 100, again. The fact that we shut all three down and still managed to lose was just heart-breaking.

Oh yeay, and one more big Goat to join Flacco, Cam! I think he forgot we had Ray Rice on the team after he broke that 31 yard run! Unless he figured, "OK I got Ray his yards, time to play with my other toys!"
    I definitely had Ngata Washington and Carr as my remaining 3 Heroes... Our secondary hasn't lived down to their billing as the weakest link in our defense and Haloti Ngata is a Pacific Island Berzerker who can not be stopped one-on-one by 95% of the NFL on most plays.

My last 3 Honorable Mentions were Ray Rice, Michael Oher and David Reed. Rice did the best he could in limited carries... Pitta would be here or the Heroes list if Joe had hit him open in the endzone.

My last 3 Goats are (obviously) Cam Cameron, Dwan Landry and Zibby... both DBs for failing to convert crucial Palmer mistakes into turnovers. Plus Zibby has been piss poor on returns so far this season.