Blog Entries

Troy Smith to the 49ers

Well, we made those of you who swore Troy Smith would make the team eat crow...

So now those of us who predicted he wouldn't get a job will eat crow...

The 49ers cut Nate Davis today and signed Troy.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...up-troy-smith/
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Re: Troy Smith to the 49ers

I wish him luck. Good place for him to go. He'll get a chance to start eventually.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    I wish him luck. Good place for him to go. He'll get a chance to start eventually.
    No he won't.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=San+...695602&2v=CITY

Man that is going to be one hell of a crawl.... almost 2500 miles...

In all seriousness, best of luck to him. Alex Smith def isnt the quarterback of the future for that team so he might get a chance to start midseason if he can beat out Carr

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Nah. Alex Smith had a great pre season. Baring injury, Troy won't see the field there.

Quote Originally Posted by Aces2Bluff View Post
    http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=San+...695602&2v=CITY

Man that is going to be one hell of a crawl.... almost 2500 miles...

In all seriousness, best of luck to him. Alex Smith def isnt the quarterback of the future for that team so he might get a chance to start midseason if he can beat out Carr
    Cleveland was crawling. I think San Francisco was unicycling. Or maybe that was Oakland. One was unicycling, one was canoeing. I think Troy's agent had a chart.

Meh. I won't miss him. He had a few opportunities to earn more playing time & did nothing with them. He was the polar opposite of the Jameel McClains & Lardarius Webbs of the world.

Though this thread did bring back memories... Whatever happened to my SPOTS #1 card? Hmmm.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Depending on who we'd have to cut, I wouldn't mind picking up Davis.

He has all the talent in the world and is still really young. If we can work out a spot on the roster for him without giving up a viable player, I'd grab him.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Actually, I think the 49ers have a decent chance of winning the NFC West, mostly because the rest of that division sucks. I don't think they're going far with Alex Smith, David Carr, or Troy Smith though.

If they ever get a decent QB, they'll be a team to watch for.

On a related note we should pick up Nate Davis and drop can't well (iPhone correction for Cantwell that I wanted to leave in). Davis has been my favorite preseason developmental qb. Apparently singletary didn't like his work ethic, but I thought Davis looked like the best passer on the team.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave52 View Post
    On a related note we should pick up Nate Davis and drop can't well (iPhone correction for Cantwell that I wanted to leave in). Davis has been my favorite preseason developmental qb. Apparently singletary didn't like his work ethic, but I thought Davis looked like the best passer on the team.
    Cantwell is on the PS...Not sure if Nate Davis was on 53 man roster all of last season or not for 49ers. If he was, he is now INELIGIBLE for the PS (I believe the rule is once you've played 16 games on the regular roster, you can no longer be eligible for PS)

So dropping Cantwell wouldn't help us in that case, because I think you have to add Nate Davis to 53 man roster. And really, that's the argument here...is Nate Davis, as a 3rd string QB, more valuable than keeping a Lamar Divens, or a David Reed/Marcus Smith, or an Edgar Jones? You have to cut/trade someone to get him on the roster, no way around that. There wasn't really anything WRONG with Troy Smith...he just wasn't as valuable to us as an extra position player. Which is why I think we would also not sign Nate Davis
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Seems like a good fit and I hope he does well.

:T2:

No, Nate Davis is not good enough to carry on the 53 man roster if inelligible for the PS, IMO.