Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Mark Clayton Rememberence Thread

As much as you can call Troy Smith a polarizing figure on this team, you can make the same call about Mark Clayton. Drafted in Round 1, 2005, Mark was going to be our answer at WR. He came here the same time we got Derrick Mason, and we expected that FINALLY, our offensive woes were over. And Mark looked good in his rookie and sophomore seasons...

But in 2007, he had a rough yeah, dropping in all stats. In 2008, he put up respectable numbers with a rookie QB, including one pretty amazing highlight reel game against Cincinnatti (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAtqf5OGO4o). Still, not great for a starting WR.

Last year was the backbreaking year for Clayton...Ended the year basically even with Kelley Washington on the depth chart. The real hinge moment came with this crucial 4th down drop against the Pats. That's when people really disowned him...

He never set any records here (that I can think of), but I wouldn't label him a bust yet, so he's our first WR draft pick that didn't completely bust. I'm a Clayton apologist, so I'll be mourning here. I'm glad we made the move, I think it was inevitable, but I'll miss #89 a bit this year.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Re: Mark Clayton Rememberence Thread

Total bust ....

Certainly not at the level of a Leaf or Russell, but still a bust given his pre-draft hype and his post-draft lack of success.

He had pedestrian (at best) stats here. When you're the #1 pick in the draft, you have to live up to that expectation.

Clayton failed. Miserably.

Blog Entries

not as bad as a Travis Taylor...I guess if you had to pick a category for him, it would be bust right now. But I also don't think he's done in the league...

Redman was a bust, managed to revive his career somewhat as a backup. I think Clayton will have a decent career as a slot receiver, occasional starter.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

And to think, when he caught that deep touchdown against KC week one last year i thought our deep threat had finally arrived....oh the possibilities

Blog Entries

Last year really was the backbreaker...

In 2007, you could blame his woeful numbers on the QB situation, where McNair wasn't right and neither was Boller.

In 2008, he had good numbers considering Joe was a rookie QB

In 2009 though, he should've been able to make the jump to his 2006 numbers. It just didn't happen though. The first game was good, after that he just kind've fizzled out. The Patriots game really is where the fans began to turn on him, with that dropped pass.

6. Re: Mark Clayton Rememberence Thread

The other Clayton memory I'll have aside from the 08 Cincy beatdown is the game in 06 vs. the Chiefs when we won in December in Arrowhead Stadium, the first road team to do that in 10 years.

We were on the 13 yd line, and Clayton somehow got wide open by 20 yards, McNair sees it, 87 yard touchdown.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    As much as you can call Troy Smith a polarizing figure on this team, you can make the same call about Mark Clayton. Drafted in Round 1, 2005, Mark was going to be our answer at WR. He came here the same time we got Derrick Mason, and we expected that FINALLY, our offensive woes were over. And Mark looked good in his rookie and sophomore seasons...

But in 2007, he had a rough yeah, dropping in all stats. In 2008, he put up respectable numbers with a rookie QB, including one pretty amazing highlight reel game against Cincinnatti (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAtqf5OGO4o). Still, not great for a starting WR.

Last year was the backbreaking year for Clayton...Ended the year basically even with Kelley Washington on the depth chart. The real hinge moment came with this crucial 4th down drop against the Pats. That's when people really disowned him...

He never set any records here (that I can think of), but I wouldn't label him a bust yet, so he's our first WR draft pick that didn't completely bust. I'm a Clayton apologist, so I'll be mourning here. I'm glad we made the move, I think it was inevitable, but I'll miss #89 a bit this year.
    Most 100 yards recieving games, 9 games.

Calling him a bust is just too black and white, remember 2005, 2007 and 2008, better circumstances like a decent QB and he migth have had better numbers.

8. Re: Mark Clayton Rememberence Thread

Quote Originally Posted by elland View Post
    Most 100 yards recieving games, 9 games.

Calling him a bust is just too black and white, remember 2005, 2007 and 2008, better circumstances like a decent QB and he migth have had better numbers.
    Well it'll be a matter of film-study debate. Was Flacco's usual process of "check if Mason's open, if not then dump it off to Ray Rice" Flacco's fault, or every-WR-other-than-Mason's fault?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Total bust ....

Certainly not at the level of a Leaf or Russell, but still a bust given his pre-draft hype and his post-draft lack of success.

He had pedestrian (at best) stats here. When you're the #1 pick in the draft, you have to live up to that expectation.

Clayton failed. Miserably.

A little hard on the guy, don't ya think?

Clayton never performed to what we all had expected, but Clayton was one hell of a team guy and was class on and off the field. I am going to miss him a little this year too. I am glad with the new additions but I liked Clayton, and thought he was better then what he played at times.

The real hinge moment came with this crucial 4th down drop against the Pats. That's when people really disowned him...
    I was incredibly pissed off when he dropped that one, still get mad just thinking of it.

... I'm glad we made the move, I think it was inevitable, but I'll miss #89 a bit this year.
    I'm glad he's gone and will not miss him one tiny bit.
    "Well, I'd rather live with the hound dogs, for the rest of my natural-born life." Swamp Music by Lynyrd Skynyrd

Quote Originally Posted by myfavoriteboxer View Post
    Well it'll be a matter of film-study debate. Was Flacco's usual process of "check if Mason's open, if not then dump it off to Ray Rice" Flacco's fault, or every-WR-other-than-Mason's fault?
    I did mention 2008, not 2009.. In Joes first 4-6 games he played like a rookie, the gamebook was designed to give it to the three headed monster!

If you call Clayton a bust, you need to give that predicate to 67% of WR taken in the first round... this is to simple.

Yeah, not at all a total bust...duh, look at all that talent he's dropping all over the field.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid