CAN YOU NAME ONE PERSON WHO HAS DONE THE THREE THINGS NOTED AND IS IN POVERTY?

Selection Bias. You wouldn't know one because you yourself are successful and probably middle class to upper middle class.

If you've worked with people at homeless shelters, which I bet you haven't, you would know that lots of people fall on hard times regardless of education status because of being laid off, because of mental health problems, because of medical conditions and the medical bills that may come with that.

A good example is a homeless man that my uncle encountered that was an upstanding individual; college schooled, etc etc worked at a Jewlry Store. Store got robbed and he was hit with a shotgun blast to the head.

In a coma for a few weeks, come out and they're bassically waitinf for the pieces of his fractured skull to naturally float out of his brain along with shotgun pellets.

Long story short, he's disfigured, has a plate over the front of his head, had mental problems from said brain damage and is homeless.

People fall on hard times for a number of reasons. they are not all to be blamed on the individual.

As a libertarian, I would expect you to think so though. And you're living up to the billing. My roomate thinks the same way, BUT he doesn't state the opinions as fact, or pretend that studies publishes in the Economist are fact. Why? Because he's trained to understand that its not that black or white.

If it was "simple" then we wouldn't have politics, or be having this discussion. Period.