Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Josh Wilson, CB Seahawks to the Ravens

Carroll and Schneider explain motives behind Wilson trade:
    Carroll: "This is a really busy time and active time. We're just going to follow the template that we set. John is going to keep working every end of it to do everything we can to help our team in as many ways as possible.

"I would guess that there's a couple of things that you want to ask about. Josh Wilson got traded today to the Ravens. This is an opportunity for us that came along because of our depth and our situation at the cornerback position that we're very happy with. Tru, (Marcus Trufant), Kelly Jennings and Walter Thurmond and Roy Lewis and a couple of the young kids too that have done very well gives us an opportunity to make a move here. Josh is a great kid and we love him and all of that, but this is a team that really came after him. It happened very quickly and a very competitive situation. We were able to do something that hopefully that will be good for him and for our program too."

Schneider: "Absolutely. This is the most difficult weekend of the year for everybody involved, for the coaches and for the players. All of these guys. The personnel staff that has to go through the evaluations and address the players. The players that work their tails off the whole season. Josh has been a factor here for several years now and done a great job in the community and everything. Very well respected. This was a team that was very aggressive in coming after Josh. They have a situation where they have a strong need and as Pete said it has more to do with the way Walter has stepped up and the way Tru is playing and some of the younger guys. I think it was one of those deals that comes along. We get calls on some of our players. We don't do everything, but this was one of those deals that we just felt like we couldn't pass up."
    I'm presuming this is the final year of Wilson's contract. If so this sounds like a mutually beneficial trade for both parties, and calms my paranoia about why they were willing to let him go for so little. I really like how aggressively our FO apparently was in going after him. I also like how pissed the Seattle fans are over this. They seemed to really love the guy.

Blog Entries

This was good and smart move, main reason, we are stacked at almost all positions and I know Ozzie likes to build in the draft but one second day pick for a young talented CB is just a great chess move. Especially the way we stacked in this years draft, some may be questioning it now with the injury's to Cody and Kindle, but Cody will be back and shouldn't have much issue and if Kindle is cleared, what are we going to need after this years draft.

QB set
    RB set
    WR, Mase is getting up there and hopefully Stallworth comes back as a good 3, but Boldin is locked up for few more years, not a need, but could upgrade.
    TE set from this draft, Dickson and Pitta both look like the real deal.
    OL, I would say that pending Gaithers status and development of others, this might be addressed again.
    DL, set. we will be waiving players that will get picked up by other teams
    OLB, set.
    ILB, a few good prospects in Ellerbe, McClain, Gooden when healthy (I almost left out Phillips, he has looked good), but Ray is up there and all though will probably play for a few more years, could be addressed I hope nobody gets their hopes up to much when it's time to replace Mr. Lewis, because it will probably never happen in the near future if ever again, Ray is a once in a few decades player.
    CB, if Webb comes back healthy I would have to say with this new move that we have quality CB's, but CB can always be upgraded.
    DB (Safeties) I would have to say we may have found Reeds replacement, and in my opinion Landry should be playing like he is fighting for a job, because Haruki is a freaking mad man on a mission.

So losing a second day draft pick for a quality CB which we need is a great move and the kicker is, we still have McGahee and Barnes

When I watched the highlight video I was pleased to see he keeps control of the ball when it's in his hands. Not all DBs (ahem) do that.

Great move by the FO.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Blog Entries

it only takes a second to see that he is physical, I will probably have to edit this 3 times, I only watched the first 10 seconds and he has already up ended a TE.

Alright I made it to 46 seconds and this guy just ran over like 4 wimpy tacklers. I don't like Prince's chances after this move.

Play like a Raven.. I think a Raven shit this kid out.

Great reaction time
    Plays the run well, tackles well.

Was that Wes Welker, Mr. Hands himself
    Look who finally tackles the guy, "Boldin" don't have to worry about that now do we? Then peels a blocker and open field tackles Boldin, tackling Boldin in traffic is a task in it's own.

Sorry for typing so much but this guy looks like he will benefit even more here from our system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzHbL...eature=related

Hey Pete, this is not college my friend, Ozzie just welcomed you to the bigs like Ray welcomes Rooks. Now take it...
    Last edited by Sua Sponte; 08-31-2010 at 11:21 PM.

Funny...I'm pretty sure I said we'd trade for a starting-caliber corner...and 95% of the board said I was nuts

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Blog Entries

One word: Awesome!

I've got mad :respect for OZ!!

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    Funny...I'm pretty sure I said we'd trade for a starting-caliber corner...and 95% of the board said I was nuts
    I don't think anyone believed a guy of this quality would be available for so cheap. We didn't give up any players!

Nice to have another ball-hawk in the secondary. When Ed comes back, QBs better not make any mistakes with their reads.

So apparently Seattle and it's GM's don't like corners under 5'10 also they believe Trufant, Thumond, Jennings and Lewis will step up for them at corner and that Wilson was in the last year of his contract and was set to be a unrestricted free agent Seattle gave him up for a 5th pick. Now as to why no other team was pursuing him (Vikings, cough cough) is beyond me.

Oh and BTW.. Don't ask him about his height, please;
    Josh Wilson:
    Like I tell everybody, I'm happily 5-9 1/2. But if you want to me whatever size you want me to be, I can get two-inch heel lifts. I just want to point out also, to silence the critics, that I have a 6-foot arm length. You didn't expect to hear that, right?

But regardless of height, I like to consider myself a football player. I'm not just a guy out there playing football. I know the game. I study the game. I make plays in the game.

If you want Kevin Durant to play corner for the Seahawks, get ready to hear the opposing team's band striking up after every play.
    Josh Wilson:
    Any guy that wants to talk about height or how you can't be a certain height to cover in this league, just look at every team's web site and see how talk the majority of the corners are in this league. But if you want somebody 6-0 instead of Antoine Winfield or Asante Samuels, I don't think you would coaching long in this league. It's not about height, it's about playing football and playing the ball.
    Quotes taken from a post on the Baltimore Sun message board

Some nice info from Pro Football Focus, via Twitter

Opposing QBs had a 71 QB rating throwing into Wilson's coverage in '09. No other SEA corner was under 100
    about 6 hours ago via TweetDeck

@JasonLaCanfora As they should be: J Wilson allowed 488 yards of catches, for 10.6 YPC, 0 TDs, and had 9 PDs and a pair of picks in '09
    about 6 hours ago via TweetDeck in reply to JasonLaCanfora

Of course the flipside is Seattle just got worse at a position of weakness. Usually not the way you do things..

J Wilson allowed 488 yards of catches, for 10.6 YPC, 0 TDs, and had 9 PDs and a pair of picks. Baltimore just improved a weakness

Our data shows Josh Wilson was by far Seattle's best CB last year with a +6.2 PFF rating, and the only SEA CB to score well in coverage
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

What am I missing here?!?!?

Josh Wilson is a play maker.... extremely solid CB. How did this happen for a 5th (maybe 4th) round pick???

Did Oz pull a fast one on the Hawks or is there something I'm missing here?? I'm yet again floored by the Wiz.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    Not me. I agreed and said Ozzie always gets someone by the first game
    like Willie Anderson and Deion.

I'm excited about this. Ravens should give more time for Webb to heal
    and not rush him back.

Talk about depth.

And the secondary just gave up it's first TD of the pre-season after 11.75
    qtrs of not allowing any.

Now this. I'm excited after seing those vids.

Now just think about the 7 in front of him. He can sit back and drink a cold one-lol.
    If we can just get Cody back on the line in time.

First Denver, now Seattle.

ILMAO
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 09-01-2010 at 07:48 AM.

Blog Entries

I am on the record saying we should have traded Willis, a linebacker and Clayton (before Stallworth got hurt) for a STARTING cb. I think Oz just got one for a second day pick. I am sure happy Oz is the GM and not me.

Thanks Ozzie---you did it again.