Blog Entries

What do you want to see from Preseason Game #2?

So, I don't know why, but I always thought camp broke between Weeks 2 and 3 in the preseason, but this time, camp is breaking before Week 2.

So, most of the camp battles we had going in at the start are still unsolved, because we only have one preseason game to go off of.

So I want to know here, what answers/notions do you want to see coming out of this game?

Here's mine
    1. Continued strong play from Flacco - Reports on Flacco from camp were mixed. He was still great, but doesn't yet seem to be developing his over the middle passing game. Need to see him start getting to next level

2. More material from the backup WRs - Last week, with the drenching rain, the running game was almost exclusively featured in 2nd half, just 6 pass attempts in the whole half. Need to see Reed, Williams, Harper get some chances to establish a winner for the #5 battle

3. WAY better OL play - Oher's LT debut was not good. Our RT situation is going down the crapper with injuries. Need to see our 1st string OL start gelling, would hope our 2nd string OL can just get by

4. Some more OLBs please step up! - Barnes was great next week. But apart from our starters and Barnes, do any of the backup OLBs really make a difference on the roster apart from ST? Would love to see Burgess, Jones, or someone develop some skills pass rushing

5. Seperation in the ILB battle - McClain lit it up in camp, sucked in the 1st preseason game. Ellerbe wasn't doing well in camp, did okay in the preseason game. Gooden has been about average. Let's see one of them CLAIM the starting job this week

6. CBs - This one is difficult. I want to see some good play from the "Week 1 CBs" (Fabian, Carr, Fischer, Gerard?), but I also want some HEALTHY CBs after the game. So let's just say I want Fischer to improve, Cary Williams to continue showing us why we should carry him through his 2 game suspension, and NO ONE GETS INJURED.

7. Someone finds consistency as the kicker - Both kickers have been even this camp, but that hasn't been good as BOTH have found ways to miss their fair shares of kicks. Someone needs to shake off the heebie jeebies and start owning their spot
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Re: What do you want to see from Preseason Game #2?

You layed what we all want to see pretty well so there is really nothing for me to add.

1. Joe- He was up and down last year in camp as well and apart from the injury did exceed our expectations I think.

2. The backup WR's position is probably what I will be looking forward to the most. This is the first time that we probably can ever say that since football has returned here. I am curious on WR #5 or possibly #6, who knows?

3. I think the OL will be fine. I have looked at a couple preseason games and it appears to be the problem with most teams.

4. I'll admit, I haven't paid attention to the OLB postion all that much aside from Barnes as far as backups go. I think that one of the ILB will end up being a floater between ILB and OLB (McClain/Gooden). Maybe this allows Jason Phillips to stick on, but unlikely.

5. ILB will be fun since I think that it will be a week to week deal. Every player brings something different and that is hard to gameplan for.

6. CB's may take until preseason game #4 to get settled. We know the starters when healthy, but need to find out CB's 4, 5, or 6.

7. I'll just say it. I want Cundiff. I do not trust a former Bengal. Really Graham gives me Haushka jitters. Is that unjust? I do not have that feeling with Cundiff for some reason. Those kickoffs into the end zone don't hurt either.

Flacco...Flacco....Flacco...

The Ravens neglected the defense in favor of the offense this offseason. They have built an impressive coaching staff around Flacco, given him hands to throw the ball to, made sincere efforts to protect him and it is his third year. He must feel tremendous pressure to perform this year.

Our defense is going to give up some drives this year so we have to get used to that...the strategy is that our offense will be able to keep up with those drives.

Flacco regressed as the year progressed last year. The theory for that regression has been his injuries with which I will go along.

The expectations are high again this year which historically has been a bad sign for the Ravens. We want to be one of those teams with a 1st round bye which means we need win 11 or 12 games at least.

I want to see composure with Flacco that convinces me that the pressure of the season will not be what causes him problems. I also want to see him spread the ball around. He wasn't bad last week but I don't think he displayed the composure of an elite QB that the Ravens need hin to be.

4. Re: What do you want to see from Preseason Game #2?

Sorry but you won't find the answers you seek tomorrow night on Flacco.

He'll play a quarter or a little more and he'll see mostly vanilla schemes. The real test won't come until Rexy's Jets are staring them in the face.

The Ravens will go as far as Flacco will take them this season and it does remain to be seen if he can be that quarterback yet.

I don't feel so bad about the defense being neglected as you put it this time around since the offense has been neglected for years. But if you want to win in today's NFL you have to score.

I'm hoping to see someone step forward to claim the ILB spot, a kicker to be chosen and most of all Fabian Washington on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post

2. More material from the backup WRs - Last week, with the drenching rain, the running game was almost exclusively featured in 2nd half, just 6 pass attempts in the whole half. Need to see Reed, Williams, Harper get some chances to establish a winner for the #5 battle
    I was really high on David Reed going into the preseason, but apparently he has had a problem holding on to the ball in camp. The battle for the 5th receiver spot (assuming Clayton isn't traded) is one of the most interesting things for me.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    3. WAY better OL play - Oher's LT debut was not good. Our RT situation is going down the crapper with injuries. Need to see our 1st string OL start gelling, would hope our 2nd string OL can just get by
    Absolutely yes. Oher will have to step it up for sure, but beyond that, the backups looked atrocious. I will definitely be watching to see how they perform.