Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Re: Irsays wearing 1955 throwback uniforms

The NFL needs to get some kind of decision on what to do going forward. The records generally went with the franchise for most of the recent moves (Colts, Rams, Raiders, Oilers), until the Browns moved to Baltimore. I'm glad we're not the Baltimore Browns, but it's like the NFL all of a sudden decided to go against the way it'd been done for YEARS and say "oh no no no no, Cleveland gets to keep those and get a new team"

Was Tags from Cleveland, or have some great connection with Cleveland? Because I'm sure fans of the original Oilers and Rams probably saw that and said "WTF? CLEVELAND is guaranteed a team again, but we're SOL?"

Houston eventually got their team via expansion, L.A. is still waiting. But it just seems the NFL needs to decide on ONE way of doing it, and then ALL franchises either have leave their records behind, or all get to keep them.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

2. Re: Irsays wearing 1955 throwback uniforms

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    The NFL needs to get some kind of decision on what to do going forward. The records generally went with the franchise for most of the recent moves (Colts, Rams, Raiders, Oilers), until the Browns moved to Baltimore.
    Small quibble, the Oilers moved one year after the Browns did. They also played 2 years in Tennessee as the Oilers before changing the name, but nothing about the "Houston Oilers" history stayed in Houston.

If I'm not mistaken there has never been a move similar to what happened with the Browns anywhere in US professional sports. If Seattle gets a new NBA team that team can be the Sonics and "share" its history with the zombies in Oklahoma. So there is that one, but Seattle is currently without a team and there are no plans to get a new one yet.

And Wikipedia tells me that "The Minnesota Twins, when they signed their deal with Hennepin County, Minnesota for Target Field in 2006, agreed to a provision that was signed into law that allows the state of Minnesota the right of first refusal to buy the team if it is ever sold, and requires that the name, colors, World Series trophies and history of the team remain in Minnesota if the Twins are ever moved out of state."

Sounds like a great precedent to set.

All states that are held hostage by their owners until they use taxpayer money to build new stadiums so that the owners can make more luxury box revenue, should require similar agreements in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    The NFL needs to get some kind of decision on what to do going forward. The records generally went with the franchise for most of the recent moves (Colts, Rams, Raiders, Oilers), until the Browns moved to Baltimore. I'm glad we're not the Baltimore Browns, but it's like the NFL all of a sudden decided to go against the way it'd been done for YEARS and say "oh no no no no, Cleveland gets to keep those and get a new team"

Was Tags from Cleveland, or have some great connection with Cleveland? Because I'm sure fans of the original Oilers and Rams probably saw that and said "WTF? CLEVELAND is guaranteed a team again, but we're SOL?"

Houston eventually got their team via expansion, L.A. is still waiting. But it just seems the NFL needs to decide on ONE way of doing it, and then ALL franchises either have leave their records behind, or all get to keep them.
    And yet Clevelanders are STILL bitching about how they got screwed so bad, they are the ultimate victims, Modell is the devil, etc. Couple that with LeBron's "decision" and you get the biggest fan base of whiners and cry-babies you'll ever see.

How many times in the broadcast did "Baltimore" get mentioned. I see it as more of an insult to Indy fans to have Bmore talked about. Seems strange that the Irsays would want Baltimore discussed so much.
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

It pisses me off and I can't help it.

They should've worn pit crew coveralls as alternate jerseys, IMHO.

6. Re: Irsays wearing 1955 throwback uniforms

I loved them. If your team doesn't do well on the field you should ignore them. It is the reason the Colts left and now we have the Ravens. Get over the Colts people. Also, don't buy Orioles tickets. They are scallywags and ne'er do wells.

Blog Entries

I'm too young to remember those blue helmets.

The original Baltimore Colts colors were green and white. Then they
    left town and came back and they were blue and white.

The earliest helmets, the ones I recall and have clippings for, had the
    horse shoes on the back of the helmet, not side. They were little, one
    each on each side of the blue line going down the helmet.

Then they were put on the side of the helmet.

I just don't remember blue helmets. The blue helmets they wore had the
    horse shoes on the back but I just don't remember them being blue in 1955
    which is the year JImmy said they were throwing back to.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...eet-throwbacks

We'll never let this rest until we get the name and colors back and anyone
    who isn't pissed isn't a real Baltimore Colts fan.

It just doesn't matter to them.

OK, Jimmy got it right. Here it is, the 1954-1955 Baltimore Colts helemt which was blue. Hell, even
    I'm too young to remember it but it had the horse shoes in the back. Strange how Jimmy picked
    the helmets from the team was brand new in Baltimore.

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?...315kb7baabkkhg

Some nice history of the real Colts for real Colts fans.

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl...baltcolts.html
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 08-16-2010 at 10:04 PM.

Thumbs down Re: Irsays wearing 1955 throwback uniforms

Quote Originally Posted by dfgolf View Post
    Get over the Colts people. Also, don't buy Orioles tickets. They are scallywags and ne'er do wells.
    :insane:

Irsay left because there were thousands of Colts fans who followed that mentality. Yeah, right, let's punish Angelos by not buying tickets to Orioles games. Let's see if we can get Orioles' annual attendance down to 1/2 million. We'll show Angelos, just like we showed Irsay in the early 1980s when we stopped buying Colts tickets.

Baltimore sports fans: what brilliant thinkers!
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

I didn't stop buying tickets in the 80s.

I was at the last game yelling IRSAY SUCKS AND DREW SUCKS.

They were out of towners that were made for each other.

Wink Re: Irsays wearing 1955 throwback uniforms

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    I didn't stop buying tickets in the 80s.
    When did you start buying tickets? I thought you didn't believe in spending the money to go to the games!
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

FU! You're confusing that with PSLs. We only had one price to pay in the 80s. Irsay
    got something right.

Was that a nice thing to say after sending you those vacation pics - the ones you didn't
    want your wife to see? :happyanim

In fact, the last season ticket book we had cost only about $150.

I pay $200 for one ticket in the club level in Ravens stadium in Sec 222 and w/o paying for PSLs.

And you know damn well I paid $350 for that PO ticket in Indy - the one on the 50 yard
    line behind Big Mike's mom. She loves me. You sat next to me and got me the ticket.

:T2:
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 08-18-2010 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dfgolf View Post
    I loved them. If your team doesn't do well on the field you should ignore them. It is the reason the Colts left and now we have the Ravens. Get over the Colts people. Also, don't buy Orioles tickets. They are scallywags and ne'er do wells.
    Same reason why people ignore your horrible morning show.