Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Ring of Honor poll

Right now I say no to J. Lewis and Mulitalo.

Ogden and R. Lewis are locks. No one can argue that.

Future possibilities are Heap, Stover, Reed, and McAllister. But we'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by TTRaven View Post
    I agree with Ravenatic20. Both players were very good, and did a lot to help this team win a championship. They both are not on that ROH level for me. When you think ROH you think about cornerstone players for this franchise, guys like Ray Lewis and Ogden.

Of course both Jamal and Edwin deserve it more than Byner.
    I pretty much agree with this, mainly because I believe the Ring should be reserved for the best of the best (yes, I know Byner's in there, and every August when the first preseason game arrives, I look to see if his name has somehow been quietly removed).

To me, Edwin, while a great guy and solid player doesn't rise to that level. Heck, he never even went to a Pro-Bowl.

Jamal, on the other hand, is a very close call. If not for the 2000 yard season, he's not even close IMO, but because of that season, I think I'd put him in.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

I love Ed but he does not warrant a place in the ring of honor. Even if we use the criteria of both on AND off the field accomplishments, Ed simply has not performed well enough on the field to demand this accolade.

As for Jamal, I'm on the fence. If we hold him to the same off the field standards as we are with Mule, then, no, he is not deserving. However, his ON field performance has been wonderful since we drafted him in 2000. Either way, it's a tough call, but for now I will say no on Jamal too.

After players leave, it's usually difficult to set aside the pain/disappointment of their loss and look back clearly on their careers with unbiased views. Let's give this debate a year or two and revisit it then.

There are three criteria discussed so far in this thread.

1. Quality of play on the field
    2. Quality of participation in the community
    3. Consistency with other names on the RoH, notably Ernest Byner

The posts are informed by the way the poster ranks these criteria.

My personal opinion is that consistency is irrelevant. Byner is up there, but it doesn't mean we need to be goofy about it every time someone retires.

What I want to see is a *combination* of 1 and 2, with excellence in one or the other and at least a good job in the other. Michael McCrary being the king of both is the model. Someone who brings talent to the field but is a quiet malcontent when the stadium is quiet is a hired gun, and may go to Pro Bowls but does not belong on the Ring of Honor.

So, my vote:
    Mulitalo: Quality of play is good enough to supplement outstanding contributions to the community. What more could he have given.
    "I loved my time in Baltimore, and now it's time for me to find somewhere else to play. Baltimore will always be my home."

Jamal Lews: Mercenary malcontent crybaby. Has his SB ring, has his records of personal achievement, take them with my congratulations and pack your bags.
    "I wanted to get out of that deal and get out of Baltimore."

Quotes from this article.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Blog Entries

Didn't we release Mule?; meaning can't we resign him if noone else picks him up?

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    Didn't we release Mule?; meaning can't we resign him if noone else picks him up?
    Yup. Could happen. Probably not.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Blog Entries

^^OK, so he gone, but not really gone yet!!! I think he's gonna end up re-signing with us. Just my opinion though

I love both players but...

Jamal -
    Mule -

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens0587 View Post
    well if we put every succesful player in there, jamal, ray, boulware, reed, mcalister, clayton, byner, mule, ogden....get the point

WTF is byner doing there anyway seriously ask yourself wtf
    Yeah, WTF? I believe he should be removed, so the rest of the way, these honorees can be voted on in an intelligent way, not... Well, if Byner is in.... That just completely undermines the integrity of the process, and the ROH!:hammer:

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

But look at how many players you did NOT name. Remember this organization is young. Over time, things will thin out a bit. Actually, each of the above names (save for Byner) will be in the ROH.
    Really, so in 20 years we would have like 40-50 people up there by your criteria.

Byner was a mistake and he shouldn't be considered when looking at new possibles. Just because the bar was set at "making the team and Modell liking you" doesn't me it should stay there.

You obviously don't understand the concept of the ROH.
    LOL, so tell us oh greating fucking sage. I have my understanding and you have yours. Under your standards 2-3 guys would make it every year. If Mulitalo is in so is Gregg, hell, how far away is Flynn? Jamie Sharper? Rod Woodson is more deserving and as I said before, so is Burnett. Duane Starks meant more to our Super Bowl win, does that off-set his lacking in comparison to Edwin in the community?

Posters like Greg think "woulda, shoulda, coulda" and ignore reality (what is).
    What the fuck are you talking about? I am talking about his play on the field. It was above average for some time, average at others. He was never even a Pro Bowl alternate IIRC.

I have met Edwin numerous times and I love the guy, I think he is an outstanding person. But as an NFL player he is between average and good. Better, higher impact players not up in the ROH include people like Sharper, Woodson, Burnett, Michael Jackson, Starks, Siragusa and many I am missing.

Check out the stadium, there just isn't room for all of these people and the Greggs, Flynns, etc. And there shouldn't be. Yes, Byner's inclusion diminishes the honor to those who are deserving, no reason to perpetuate that mistake, move his name to an end on the lower level and move on and forget he is there.

Byner does have one note-worthy accomplishment that makes him kind of worthy in a Baltimore ROH...the fumble. LOL, great smack against Clownfan.

I think we should replace Earnest Byner's name with

PHIL SAVAGE and the rest of the former Ravens that have gone on to die/end there careers in Cleveland.

To both for all of the reasons previously stated.