Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Ring of Honor poll

Normally I would agree with Greg and 0587's points. HOWEVER.......A precedent has been set. That standard is why I would say Mulitalo should be a shoe-in.

That standard, by the way, is Byner. (There is obviously no comparison between the 2). Given the standard, when does Trent get his spot? Michael Jackson anyone? How about WSO....sorry....I mean Brad Jackson? Does Stoney get a spot? What about Chris Redman, I mean, after all, he was Johnny U's "boy".

If Byner got a spot then so does the TV guy with the orange glove. C'mon folks. People hold our players to a standard that was set by the old school Colts players that WERE the community, and you people say Edwin doesn't deserve to be there? He is probably one of maybe 5 guys that, by your Baltimore Colts standards, epitomizes the standard.

Look beyond the field. The play on the field, the contribution to team, and the committment to community IS the ROH standard.
    SS

Quote Originally Posted by Raineman View Post
    Normally I would agree with Greg and 0587's points. HOWEVER.......A precedent has been set. That standard is why I would say Mulitalo should be a shoe-in.

That standard, by the way, is Byner. (There is obviously no comparison between the 2). Given the standard, when does Trent get his spot? Michael Jackson anyone? How about WSO....sorry....I mean Brad Jackson? Does Stoney get a spot? What about Chris Redman, I mean, after all, he was Johnny U's "boy".

If Byner got a spot then so does the TV guy with the orange glove. C'mon folks. People hold our players to a standard that was set by the old school Colts players that WERE the community, and you people say Edwin doesn't deserve to be there? He is probably one of maybe 5 guys that, by your Baltimore Colts standards, epitomizes the standard.

Look beyond the field. The play on the field, the contribution to team, and the committment to community IS the ROH standard.
    Posters like Greg think "woulda, shoulda, coulda" and ignore reality (what is). Again, folks don't know ythe difference between a Hall of Fame and a Ring of Honor. Are Jamal and Mule HOFers? Heck no. Are they worthy of the ROH? Most certainly. This is not even a discussion. The fact that there is an attempt to debate this just tells those posters need to find something more substantive to debate.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Byner being in has screwed the whole thing up.

If you add players like Mulitalo and to a lesser extent Jamal, if a few years' the whole railing will be filled in a decade.

I say neither should get in but because Byner's in, all bets are off.

PP

well if we put every succesful player in there, jamal, ray, boulware, reed, mcalister, clayton, byner, mule, ogden....get the point

WTF is byner doing there anyway seriously ask yourself wtf

Mule has been one of the most consistant guards in the league since he signed here. Let's give some love to the guards.

Jamal I think deserves it because he has the second most rushing yards in a season and broke the 100 yard mark as a rookie in the SuperBowl. I vote for him.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens0587 View Post
    well if we put every succesful player in there, jamal, ray, boulware, reed, mcalister, clayton, byner, mule, ogden....get the point

WTF is byner doing there anyway seriously ask yourself wtf

But look at how many players you did NOT name. Remember this organization is young. Over time, things will thin out a bit. Actually, each of the above names (save for Byner) will be in the ROH.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

No, the ROH is not the freakin' HOF. But it's Baltimores' HOF. It's not a nice guy's social club. It's there to recognize truly outstanding players.

Forget Byner. That was a major blunder by one person who's already on the ROH and it's a mistake that can't be taken back for obvious reasons. He shouldn't be used to compare anyone's eligibility.

Jamal should probably be there for the same reason Pete and McCrary are there. They were outstanding during the time they were here, and they were key to helping the Ravens win a championship. Hell, Jamal was our offense for 5 years.

Ray and JO are the only "shoo-in"s because they will be first ballot HOF-ers.

Mulitalo was a consistent but never dominant guard. Sorry, no dice.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

8. Re: Ring of Honor poll

Jamal
    Ed

How does the guy who will be the all-time leading rusher maybe for the rest of this franchises history not go into the ROH? We don't win the SB if Jamal doesn't carry our offense down the stretch.

Ed was a nice guy but just not a good enough player to be in the ROH.

I think alot of you guys are mixing up off-feild with on-field performance. Jamal Lewis is the third most important player in this franchise's history and I'm glad that the descisions about who gets into the ROH are not left to fair-weather fans like you people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens0587 View Post
    Agree with Greg, I don't agree with anyone currently on there and I Othink only ogden and ray deserve to be on there
    I know he is a kicker, but Stover will be on there too. And personally, I think Jamal has done enough as a Raven to be on there. Like someone else said, he and Stover were all we could count on offensively, for quite some time.

Right now I say no to J. Lewis and Mulitalo.

Ogden and R. Lewis are locks. No one can argue that.

Future possibilities are Heap, Stover, Reed, and McAllister. But we'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by TTRaven View Post
    I agree with Ravenatic20. Both players were very good, and did a lot to help this team win a championship. They both are not on that ROH level for me. When you think ROH you think about cornerstone players for this franchise, guys like Ray Lewis and Ogden.

Of course both Jamal and Edwin deserve it more than Byner.
    I pretty much agree with this, mainly because I believe the Ring should be reserved for the best of the best (yes, I know Byner's in there, and every August when the first preseason game arrives, I look to see if his name has somehow been quietly removed).

To me, Edwin, while a great guy and solid player doesn't rise to that level. Heck, he never even went to a Pro-Bowl.

Jamal, on the other hand, is a very close call. If not for the 2000 yard season, he's not even close IMO, but because of that season, I think I'd put him in.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

I love Ed but he does not warrant a place in the ring of honor. Even if we use the criteria of both on AND off the field accomplishments, Ed simply has not performed well enough on the field to demand this accolade.

As for Jamal, I'm on the fence. If we hold him to the same off the field standards as we are with Mule, then, no, he is not deserving. However, his ON field performance has been wonderful since we drafted him in 2000. Either way, it's a tough call, but for now I will say no on Jamal too.

After players leave, it's usually difficult to set aside the pain/disappointment of their loss and look back clearly on their careers with unbiased views. Let's give this debate a year or two and revisit it then.

There are three criteria discussed so far in this thread.

1. Quality of play on the field
    2. Quality of participation in the community
    3. Consistency with other names on the RoH, notably Ernest Byner

The posts are informed by the way the poster ranks these criteria.

My personal opinion is that consistency is irrelevant. Byner is up there, but it doesn't mean we need to be goofy about it every time someone retires.

What I want to see is a *combination* of 1 and 2, with excellence in one or the other and at least a good job in the other. Michael McCrary being the king of both is the model. Someone who brings talent to the field but is a quiet malcontent when the stadium is quiet is a hired gun, and may go to Pro Bowls but does not belong on the Ring of Honor.

So, my vote:
    Mulitalo: Quality of play is good enough to supplement outstanding contributions to the community. What more could he have given.
    "I loved my time in Baltimore, and now it's time for me to find somewhere else to play. Baltimore will always be my home."

Jamal Lews: Mercenary malcontent crybaby. Has his SB ring, has his records of personal achievement, take them with my congratulations and pack your bags.
    "I wanted to get out of that deal and get out of Baltimore."

Quotes from this article.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Blog Entries

Didn't we release Mule?; meaning can't we resign him if noone else picks him up?

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    Didn't we release Mule?; meaning can't we resign him if noone else picks him up?
    Yup. Could happen. Probably not.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.