Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Ring of Honor poll

Raineman,

Based on the criteria just posted, which I was unaware of and surprised by, you may be right.

But that makes me want to call the criteria into question.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

The criteria is vague, with an emphasis on character strictly because they want flexibility in who they put up there. But if you have 2-3 guys worthy every year it stops being a Ring of Honor and starts to be a Ring of Guys We Liked.

If Ed goes up I will cheer him. I love the guy, again, top-notch person and great in the community, but play of the field has to be a part of it.

Check out the Cowboys' Ring of Honor. 17 if I counted correctly, in 45+ years. But look at the people up there, all top players and front office types. Edwin as a player just isn't in that kind of group. Not even close. If it were close I would agree. It just isn't. Jamal is close and his off field nonsense and locker room BS gets his thumbs down from me.

I guess we are arguing semantics(sp) here. I must point out that the entire gist of this thread was festivus giving us a choice. Edwin and/or Jamal. To me it was a hypothetical choice, and for the moment it still is.

After the emotional wave of them leaving is wearing down, I am starting to see your point though Greg. I kinda doubt Edwin ever makes it in, but I do fear that Jamal will. I think that would suck, because in my book Jamal never even gets consideration.
    SS

4. Re: Ring of Honor poll

DO you think anyone would notice if earnest byner's name wasnt up in the ring of honor next year...no mention that it was removed, just slowly make it disappear. Im sure byner associates himself with with the browns anyway. Thats like putting Shannon Sharpe in our ring of honor..or woodson...

Anyway i think on field performance is part of it, since the better you are the longer you usually play...and hence you are a "name" in the community. I mean Steve Mcnair does a lot of charity work and good for the community but if he plays 2 years here does he go in??? You cant put in every "nice" guy on the team....and you cant retire numbers left and right since in football youd have no numbers left. baseball is easier to retire numbers since less players on a teams and numbers dont mean anything like in football.
    Season ticket holder since 1996 Section 148 Tailgate Lot H
    See my photos and video at www.bmoreravens.com

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

You can't take Byner's name down, it would be a low class thing to do. Eventually it will end up on the lower ring at the end. It was a mistake to put him up there but Modell is a nice guy who rewards loyalty.

Modell also honored the Baltimore Colt HOFers in the Ring of Honor. They never played for the Ravens, but they played in Baltimore and (I'm guessing) was his attempt to appease the fans by not naming the stadium John Unitas Memorial Stadium (or something like that).
    Anyway, I'd like to think that Mule and Jamal would be candidates for the Ring.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Edwin Mulatalo (Nice guy, but just an average player)

Jamal Lewis (2000+ yards season and 285 single game)

.... and please just quietly remove the embarassment of Byner.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Edwin Mulatalo (Nice guy, but just an average player)

Jamal Lewis (2000+ yards season and 285 single game)

.... and please just quietly remove the embarassment of Byner.
    That would be 295.

PP

Sorry there T, I have to disagree with the "Jamal " part.

If Mulitalo doesn't get it because of his on the field performance, then Jamal doesn't get it because of his off the field issues, and the attention it brought to the team. That would be a huge "black eye" to us around the league.

I can hear it now, "Ha, those stupid Baltimore people put a coke dealer in their Ring". And you can't convince me it won't be exactly like that.

Another question to ask is "What was Jamal's contribution to the Baltimore community?" Seems to me that is a huge part of this criteria, and I can't put my finger on anything that he did for it OFF the field.
    SS

Quote Originally Posted by Raineman View Post
    Another question to ask is "What was Jamal's contribution to the Baltimore community?" Seems to me that is a huge part of this criteria
    A "huge part of this criteria"?????

According to what? I've never heard of a player's off-the-field activities being a huge part of the selection criteria, except for what fans write on the internet.

We may want the nice guys to finish first, but that's not necessarily how it will work. I really like Multalo - met him a few times - he's the real deal in community involvement and a dedicated football player. But just an average player.

On the subject of names for the Ring: how about Jermaine Lewis?
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Jamal's Baltimore-bashing comments of late should be enough to keep him out of the Ring. I mean, he did thank his buddy Phil Savage for getting him out of such a "bad situation" here in Bmore.

Jamal

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    On the subject of names for the Ring: how about Jermaine Lewis?
    Remember there was a stretch when every seventh time he touched the ball he got into the endzone? What a great guy, and he provided for me the single most memorable moment in Ravens history, heading into the corner of the endzone, pointing at the sky, thinking of his son at the SuperBowl. Still gives me shivers, just thinking about it.

Plus I'm told he was 100% class and a nice, nice guy.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.