Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revis Holdout

1. Revis Holdout

The Revis contract talk may be OT, but the possibility that we may not see him to begin the season is becoming more and more real. I can see how he is asking for more money than Nmandi, but this whole re-negotiation of contracts mess is getting to be obnoxious.

It looks like there's a real chance that his hold out continues into the regular season. What a treat it would be to not have him or Holmes in the lineup when Week 1 rolls around.

PFT puts a spin on the situation, discussing leverage if the Jets begin the season well/poorly without him:

Think back to the 1993 Cowboys. Hall of Famer Emmitt Smith's holdout stretched into the regular season. Ultimately, he skipped the first two games: a Monday nighter in D.C. against the Redskins and the home opener against the Bills, whom the Cowboys had beaten earlier that year in the Super Bowl. Dallas lost both games, Emmitt got what he wanted, and the Cowboys became the first team to climb out of an 0-2 hole and win the Super Bowl.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...eason-results/

Blog Entries

Re: Revis Holdout

The Jets at least have some depth at the position, as well as plenty of "cover" elsewhere on defense - in terms of pass rush and run defense - to help offset, to some extent, deficiencies in the secondary. If they're going to spend an extra $15m or whatever he wants, they're better off dumping it into the offense, rather than piling more of it on an already stacked defense.

On a certain level, I'd treat this like an injury. As in, Darrelle Revis has hurt his brain. If his brain gets better, he'll be back on the field and playing for the money he already agreed to play for. If his brain doesn't recover, he'll be shipped someplace for two high draft picks, where he can eat up 20% of their future cap space while the Jets build more depth for the future. I see no downside here for the Jets, other than some fan anger. A great corner is a luxury, not a necessity.

Pretty dumb move on his part, at least the timing of it.

And you cannot compare it to the Emmit Smith situation since there will be a lockout and a new CBA next season. The owners are hoarding money like a fat kid at a buffet.

What makes him think they will re-do a contract given the uncertainty of next season? In the end, they will most likely cave and give him a new contract, but I can pretty much guarantee it will have an out as it relates to the lockout.

Blog Entries

I'm just tired of hearing the idiots call in and talk about how we should trade the farm to get Revis.

Getting Revis would be like robbing Peter to pay Paul. You'd have to give up a top dollar player to get him, and then you'd lose 2-3 more top dollar players to keep him

"B-B-B-B-b-b-but...he's a #1 CORNER!"

:grbac:
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

5. Re: Revis Holdout

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I'm just tired of hearing the idiots call in and talk about how we should trade the farm to get Revis.

Getting Revis would be like robbing Peter to pay Paul. You'd have to give up a top dollar player to get him, and then you'd lose 2-3 more top dollar players to keep him

"B-B-B-B-b-b-but...he's a #1 CORNER!"

:grbac:
    Agreed. I think I could be tempted to trade for a guy like McKelvin (by giving them Gaither, possibly), but Revis would cost a FORTUNE.

Quote Originally Posted by baltimore_hokie View Post
    Agreed. I think I could be tempted to trade for a guy like McKelvin (by giving them Gaither, possibly), but Revis would cost a FORTUNE.
    Would it though?

Given the uncertainty of next year, pay him a max one year deal, back loaded with all kinds of incentives that goes away when the CBA expires.

.... oh hell, now I am sounding like someone who calls into a radio show ....

7. Re: Revis Holdout

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Would it though?

Given the uncertainty of next year, pay him a max one year deal, back loaded with all kinds of incentives that goes away when the CBA expires.

.... oh hell, now I am sounding like someone who calls into a radio show ....
    I was talking "FORTUNE" in terms of what it would cost to get him in terms of players, not the contract. They would be looking for a Rice/Ngata in return, or 2+ top picks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by baltimore_hokie View Post
    I was talking "FORTUNE" in terms of what it would cost to get him in terms of players, not the contract. They would be looking for a Rice/Ngata in return, or 2+ top picks.
    I mean anyone would be stupid not to want that talent on the team, but other than the redskins who would trade top 3 RB and top 3 DL in the league for top 1 or 2 CB...

I hope he holds out week 1.

He is the best CB in the NFL and the Jets gave Ferguson a new deal so they may have to see how they do without Revis for a while.

If they are willing to trade him after week 1, I am sure Oz would listen, and that some team out there would be willing to meet his salary demands.

Even if his hold out does not work, he is still better off missing time from holding out than playing for his current salary and getting injured like Dumerville would not have seen that contract he got had he been hurt before he signed it.

I would not pay any CB that much money, but plenty of teams value the position and rate him high enough that there could be 35 m gauranteed sitting on the table if he can force a trade or the Jets figure out they need him to make the playoffs.

:T2:

Why am I not really that concerned at this point if he plays or not? If we had last year's WR core I would be worried considering how good Revis is. But you know we have 3 very good WR's this year, and Revis cannot cover them all.

Blog Entries

The Jets basically shot themselves in the foot with this one.

Spending a whole offseason pimping "Revis Island" and calling him the best defensive player in the NFL is a setup to having him have the best CONTRACT of defenders in the NFL.

Their words, not his.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    The Jets basically shot themselves in the foot with this one.

Spending a whole offseason pimping "Revis Island" and calling him the best defensive player in the NFL is a setup to having him have the best CONTRACT of defenders in the NFL.

Their words, not his.
    I think it's more so Rex Ryan who can't seem to shut his mouth rather then the Jets oreganizatioin.

Stuff like this is partially why he didn't get the job here.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!