X's and O's: Offense 2007

We know most of the pieces now. Mughelli, Pashos and Lewis are gone. McGahee is here.

How will the offense be different?
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Re: X's and O's: Offense 2007

All I know is when McNair Checks down to his RB McGahee will be there instead of Jamal. I def. see more production coming outta of those check downs then what use ot happen with Jamal. Espically since he is a quick shifty runner. Hopefully i wont be as annoyed to watch McGahee do his thing.

The thing I've noticed is the switch to smaller, more athletic linemen. We've discussed this before, that I think the Ravens will start trying to stretch the line of scrimage. Jamal just isn't that kind of back, despite his previous speed.

The addition of a RB like McGahee just further cements this idea in my mind. Those sweeps we've been attempting for the last seven years? Imagine how effective they'll be with a guard out in front and a back who can make someone miss.

Then I'll take MoKs example one step farther. Screen-passes. Think about how effective those things will be with our newly athletic offensive linemen and an effective open-field runner.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Im all for switching to a ZB O-line, I would like to see the ravens pick up Kalil and Satele and make the switch to ZB.

IMO a ZB Oline, with a top tier Interior, who are capable at the point of attack, could with stand the bull rush and man up if needed.

ZB Olines use Low tier players, Denver has only picked an Ol first day 3 times since 1995. Atlantas OL had only UDFA and walk ons.(Atlanta is switching to a roadgrading OL i.e. Funoti)

ZB OLs do not need High tier OTs to implement, Denvers OTs have been UDFA. This would end the search for a High Tier OT to anchor at LT.

An O-line interior of Satele, Kalil, Chester (Brown on rotation) would IMO be th best ZB interior O-line in the NFL. This OL would also be impossible to reproduce. The only current player/s with this degree of athletisism, Technique and strength are Nick Mangold and ...

I dont see any other athletes who fit this mold coming out anytime soon either. as a side effect this would remove 4 top tier centers out of 3 draft classes. (i.e. Pittsburgh is in need of a center.)

Quote Originally Posted by akacrow View Post
    Im all for switching to a ZB O-line, I would like to see the ravens pick up Kalil and Satele and make the switch to ZB..
    Really, Both? What is wrong with Jason Brown? I thought he was by far our best interior lineman last year.

ZB Olines use Low tier players, Denver has only picked an Ol first day 3 times since 1995. Atlantas OL had only UDFA and walk ons.(Atlanta is switching to a roadgrading OL i.e. Funoti)
    They also have top level coaching for ZB lines. We certainly, DO NOT.

ZB OLs do not need High tier OTs to implement, Denvers OTs have been UDFA. This would end the search for a High Tier OT to anchor at LT.
    What ssearch? I thought we had our future top tier LT on the roster already... Adam Terry should be adequate to good at RT this year, and good- excellent at LT for the next DECADE. I don't know of this search you speak of... I don't know why you have such animosity towards our recent picks on the line....

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    We know most of the pieces now. Mughelli, Pashos and Lewis are gone. McGahee is here.

How will the offense be different?
    With McGahee here it will spread the offense and help McNair to have even a better year in 2007

7. Re: X's and O's: Offense 2007

This will be Mcnair's 2nd yr in the system and that is a hugh plus now. He can audible w/o thinking about it and he knows where his receivers are going to be instinctively now and wont have to think about it.

Second, as the season goes on our O-line will become one of the best in the league as the bond together. I totally agree w/ what he was saying about our line being one of the most athletic in the league now on the interior w/ Brown, Chester and Grubbs. We can now do counters, sweeps and Toss' and our interior O-line will consistently be getting to the 2nd level and w/ Willis Mcgahee carrying the rock it is a perfect fit. We could never really call counters or toss' before b/c Jamal lewis just isnt that type of player we would always end up in 2nd and 9 or 2nd and 10. Our O-line went has went from a weakness to a strength now. We will be able to get consistently get to the 2nd level which will open up more big runs.

Finally, we are going to be able to use more single back sets this year b/c Mcgahee can run w/o a full back and Jamal Lewis couldnt. That means we will be able to use a lot more 3 and 4 wr's sets which will be tough for teams to consistently match up w/ b/c u will have to have a safety or LB on Todd Heap and that is an absolute mismatch.

We definitly are going to win the division again and we are going to be so much more effective running the ball, And dont forget we did finish ranked 11th in passing last yr and 17th in offense overall. I think the improved running game will at least put us in the top 11-12 this yr.

Quote Originally Posted by KingReed20 View Post
    We definitly are going to win the division again and we are going to be so much more effective running the ball, And dont forget we did finish ranked 11th in passing last yr and 17th in offense overall. I think the improved running game will at least put us in the top 11-12 this yr.

Cinci will be tough again and the Browns have greatly improved(at least on paper)I would not count our chickens yet. We will be strong...cant wait for that first game...talk about a tough one out of the box....could be a trend setter
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens