Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: McGahee a Raven

Re: McGahee a Raven

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz View Post
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

PFT is reporting that this deal is contingent on us signing Willis to a long term deal by March 13. So basically, based on this, this deal is not really official until this contract gets done and if it does not get done, the trade will not happen.

Can someone elaborate.
    As I wrote in another thread - I am reasonably confident the deal is already basically in place, because that conversation would have informed the FO's maneuvers over the past few days.

It is possible there are still wrinkles to work out but I expect it's basically done. Structuring the deal with Buffalo this way gives the Ravens a few more days to finish dealing with McGahee/Rosenhaus without worrying the Bills are going to deal McGahee to someone else.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

2. Re: McGahee a Raven

Per Profootbaltalk.com:

We're told that the Ravens and running back Willis McGahee are very close to agreeing on a seven-year deal worth $40.12 million.

As we previously explained, McGahee will receive $7.5 million to sign, an initial option bonus of $6 million, and a second option bonus of $1.5 million. The salaries are $595,000 in 2007, $605,000 in 2008, $620,000 in 2009, $3.6 million in 2010, $6.0 million in 2011, $6.5 million in 2012, and $7.2 million in 2013.

Since McGahee was due to earn $2.155 million in 2007, the deal is essentially a six-year extension worth $37.965 million.

If the Ravens cut McGahee before the back-end salaries kick in, he will earn a total of $20.42 million over four years.

Seems like a reasonable contract. BmoreRavor, maybe you can confirm something for me. If McGahee is cut early, we take a cap hit equivalent to his remaining signing bonus distributed over the length of the contract. Does that include option bonuses?

Basically, it seems that the Ravens guaranteed McGahee's services for about four years. If we release him at any point beyond that, we will realize a cap savings rather than a cap hit, because his annual salary will be more than the remainder of his signing bonus. That's not precisely true if option bonus cap hits are also spread across the life of the contract.

His cap number in 2008 will be high (600k salary + 6 mil bonus + about 1 mil signing bonus hit), but not crippling. The other years (up until 2011) he'll be a relative bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Fthestoolers, excellent name and excellent image choice. Let me try:

Not sure why it didn't work for you.

:toast:

Thanks for the help!

My first concern when reading the details of this contract are as follows:
    If the bonus factors into the cap, I am worried about being able to resign Suggs and Bart in the next two years. I would hate for Bart or Suggs to go the way of AD. I know the Ravens FO has said signing Suggs is their #1 priority before this time next year, but I hope that we don't cripple ourselves in cap room by backloading too much. I think that with Bart's next deal he will be looking to see the $$$ like AD found and I honestly don't know if we will have it to keep him. I hope so, but we also will have to sign a corner, since Samari is spent and I believe Ronnie Prude's contract is up in '08, not sure about Cory Ivey's deal. Even if we sign another corner this year in the draft, we still have to find the cap room to sign and keep him, not to mention we have to have enough cap room to cultivate a QB to replace McNair in the next two years, Kyle's contract is up next year, so what will we do then?

That contract would have a reasonable cap hit for 3 years. that is essentially the same contract that Reed got.

Blog Entries

Prude is coming off his first year...he's going to be here through 09 unless we cut or trade him.

There's a lot of other things factoring into the cap coming up. JO might be retiring this year or next year, which would give us some MAJOR relief in money terms. Also, Ray's coming up on the end of his deal soon, and I get the feeling unless he comes down from his high demands, we may soon see a Ravens team without Mr Ray Ray!
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by Art-Florida View Post
    A third AND another one next year? The Bills wanted Willis out and might have settled for a lot less.
    I'm with Art on this -- I'm okay with picking up McGahee, but the price seems a little high. Two third round picks? This guy wasn't much better than Jamal last season. I almost always trust Ozzie, but two 3s and a 7 seems like more than we should have given up for this guy.

But of course I'll be pulling for him like crazy.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. He's definitely an upgrade, but an upgrade worth the price that he cost in both drafts pick and contract? That's a whole other story.

Quote Originally Posted by HDDream View Post
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat. He's definitely an upgrade, but an upgrade worth the price that he cost in both drafts pick and contract? That's a whole other story.
    Rams fan, circa 1999:

"we traded a 2nd AND 5th round pick for Marshall Faulk? What the hell were they thinking??"

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    Rams fan, circa 1999:

"we traded a 2nd AND 5th round pick for Marshall Faulk? What the hell were they thinking??"
    I DO like that comparison!
    ... They shall mount up with wings as Eagles;

McGahee doesn't have anywhere near the track record that Faulk had