Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: McGahee a Raven

Re: McGahee a Raven

I just wanted to throw in hear a couple of excerpts from Jeremy Green's blog on Espn.com

This first part is about Jamal vs. Willis (and a little about Pashos)

The team also waived long-time starting running back Jamal Lewis, who opted to sign a one-year deal with the division-rival Cleveland Browns. Nobody in Baltimore is going to fret having to face Lewis two times in 2007; he has been average at best since 2003. Lewis averaged 3.4 and 3.6 yards per carry, respectively, during the last two seasons behind an offensive line that was much better than the one the Browns will trot out this season. Lewis can't make defenders miss at this point in his career, so if the Browns don't open up holes for him, that yards-per-carry average will drop once again.

The Ravens reacted quickly to the loss of Lewis by trading for Buffalo RB Willis McGahee, a running back with a lot more versatility than Lewis. McGahee can run inside and outside, is a lot quicker to the hole and can make people miss. It's a huge upgrade for the Ravens, because Lewis was basically a three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust runner at this point. He was a sitting duck for tacklers, while McGahee is much more of a moving target.

Baltimore also lost right tackle Tony Pashos to the Jacksonville Jaguars. Pashos developed with the Ravens, and it always hurts to lose a guy you have brought a long and turned into a quality starter, but he is not an elite tackle and will be replaced through the draft or with a mid-level free agent like Anthony Clement, Marc Colombo or Jordan Black. While there could be some drop-off, it won't be significant.
    This second part is about our FO:
    The Ravens are like the college version of the USC Trojans when it comes to acquiring football players. Some guys might leave a little sooner than you would like, but you can count on them reloading. Watching Baltimore on draft day is like watching USC on national signing day: The overall number of acquisitions might be smaller, but don't be surprised if the Ravens hit on about 95 percent of them.

This team has the best personnel staff in the business, and because of that, you won't see me shedding any tears for the Ravens this offseason. They will reload in the draft and with mid-level free agents once the market settles. Make no mistake about it -- this is still the team to beat in the AFC North.
    I think a lot of our fans are spoiled and don't realize how good we have it with Ozzie and Co. If not the best I think our FO is clearly top 3. I also loved the USC comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensInBrazil View Post
    This is a great trade. I'm really looking forward to what McGahee can do for our team, and I see great things ahead of us. Matter of fact, I can already see Boller and McGahee leading us to the SB in 2008 (:
    HEAR! HEAR!

:hammer:
    ... They shall mount up with wings as Eagles;

Somebody hand me a phillips cause I think we just got screwed. Yeah, yeah, I know, the 'Wizard of Oz' and all that crap, but what was Ozzie thinking?

A third AND another one next year? The Bills wanted Willis out and might have settled for a lot less. That's not the main reason I feel like Han Solo when he said, "I have a bad feeling about this." We have holes to fill in the draft and we just lost 1/3 of our first-day budget. We blew a wad on McNair and are about to enter the land of Deja vu.

One can only hope that Willis leaves his atitude in New York state, and picks up the yardage that Jamal left on the field the pas few years. I certainly hope I am wrong on this one.
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

Welcome Willis!

[IMG]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9gnMicCZ_BF.wIB3hKjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBsNXZtZnJjBHNlYwNwcm9mBHZ0aWQDSTk5OV83Mw--/SIG=11u68ldsk/EXP=1173469314/**http%3A//www.bolttalk.com/images/mcgahee.jpg[/IMG]

Level headed and fair. Thanks for sharing.

The trade was great. In the one back sets we will be using with McGahee, we will miss Mughelli less and see more of our fine receiving corps. *And* we have in McGahee a rb more suited to our OL, as it gets younger and quicker.

Like with our acquisition of McNair last year, it looks like Ozzie had been planning it all along, and it feels like we are watching a magician at work.

:hammer: indeed.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by fthestoolers View Post
    Welcome Willis!
    Fthestoolers, excellent name and excellent image choice. Let me try:

Not sure why it didn't work for you.

:toast:
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Art-Florida View Post
    We have holes to fill in the draft and we just lost 1/3 of our first-day budget. We blew a wad on McNair and are about to enter the land of Deja vu. .
    Ok we used one first day pick this year on one of our biggest holes. How does that take us a step backwards this year? The third we lost for next year will be supplemented by AD's compensation. Quick question, who is the best Raven that is still a Raven and was drafted by us in rd 3?

Somebody hand me a phillips cause I think we just got screwed. Yeah, yeah, I know, the 'Wizard of Oz' and all that crap, but what was Ozzie thinking?

A third AND another one next year? The Bills wanted Willis out and might have settled for a lot less. That's not the main reason I feel like Han Solo when he said, "I have a bad feeling about this." We have holes to fill in the draft and we just lost 1/3 of our first-day budget. We blew a wad on McNair and are about to enter the land of Deja vu.

One can only hope that Willis leaves his atitude in New York state, and picks up the yardage that Jamal left on the field the pas few years. I certainly hope I am wrong on this one.

I feel the same way, but am getting over it. I do trust the Oz-Man and that he knows best.
    ... They shall mount up with wings as Eagles;

I really like this trade and the potential of seeing our running game take flight. Too many times this season I saw holes open and close as Jamal danced in front of them. It was hard for many ravens fans to accept that he had lost the burst we saw during his 2000 yard season, but I have been hoping that the FO would decide to take our running game in a new direction from the day they finally cut Jamal. I was hoping that Ozzie would get this deal worked out with the Bills and Drew Rosenhaus so that we could add some explosiveness to our offense. I think this addition adds quite a bit to our total offense, having an explosive threat in the running game open s up the passing game for McNair even more and now that we have three definite threats at receiver I see lots more points and yards going up on the board for us next season. I hope that we can make a few adjustments to the line, especially at Center and right Guard. I am uncertain about Terry at RT, but was surprised at the success he had at LT while JO was out, so that gives me optimism at his potential at RT. I think our weak spots on the line remain Flynn and Vincent - let Brown, Chester have a shot at the position and hopefully a new draft selection can make an impact on the line as well at either guard or tackle if need be.

We have holes to fill in the draft and we just lost 1/3 of our first-day budget.
    On filling one of those holes.

Step back from the ledge and come back inside, Art, it's not as bad as you say. The only major hole left is at RT, and we'll find someone serviceable to take the place of Hall of Famer Tony Pashos, you'll see.

Cheers!
    Festivus

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

PFT is reporting that this deal is contingent on us signing Willis to a long term deal by March 13. So basically, based on this, this deal is not really official until this contract gets done and if it does not get done, the trade will not happen.

Can someone elaborate.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Welcome to Baltimore Willis. Get your contract done so you can make a nice long stay.

I'm a little skeptical about this, but the fact is we got a talented RB and filled a major need. For those of you thinking that Buffalo would take less, I'm sure they would have, if we were the only ones bidding. Factor in other teams like the Titans and the price goes up. To get him without spending a second was a very good deal. Obviously we'll have to see how big a hit we'll take on the contract side. Ozzie knows what he's doing and I expect good things.

As previously mentioned, the most exciting part is that we'll have a RB who works well out of a three-receiver set without needing a fullback to clear the way. McGahee, Mason, Clayton, Williams, and Heap are a pretty solid set of skill players to have on the field at once.