Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: McGahee a Raven

Re: McGahee is a Raven according to ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    I keep coming back to McNair for a fourth and this exchange seems a bit rich. But I do think the Ravens are already counting on compensatory picks for this year and next so it seems ok at this point.

Of course it all hinges on McGahee outperforming Jamal and the terms of the contract once they are announced.
    I agree that the real value of the deal hinges on the contract.

I disagree that 2 3rds seems rich when comparing ti to McNair. First of all the Titans had to cut McNair, the Bills could of kept McGahee. Secondly, and more importantly, Willis is only 25 and has played just 3 NFL seasons. He is just entering his prime while McNair (although I love him) is in his twilight years.

And to PurpleRulz, you are right about our struggles with 3rd rounders but totally off base with 4th rounders. After the 1st round I think the 4th round is the most consistently successful place for us. I wonder if there is correlation between the fact we do the best on the opening round of both day 1 and day 2. After those rounds I'm not sure, I want to say it was either the 6th or UDFAs.

Re: McGahee a Raven

Quote Originally Posted by Gwaihir View Post
    But is he better than any tackle we could have gotten in the third?
    Erm, yes.

So far as I can tell there's immediate impact from two tackles in this draft (Thomas and Brown) and possibly Sears, but no tackle in the third round offers anything immediately to this team that's returning what? 18 starters? that is anything close to the upgrade that McGahee can.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave52 View Post
    I agree that the real value of the deal hinges on the contract.

I disagree that 2 3rds seems rich when comparing ti to McNair. First of all the Titans had to cut McNair, the Bills could of kept McGahee. Secondly, and more importantly, Willis is only 25 and has played just 3 NFL seasons. He is just entering his prime while McNair (although I love him) is in his twilight years.

And to PurpleRulz, you are right about our struggles with 3rd rounders but totally off base with 4th rounders. After the 1st round I think the 4th round is the most consistently successful place for us. I wonder if there is correlation between the fact we do the best on the opening round of both day 1 and day 2. After those rounds I'm not sure, I want to say it was either the 6th or UDFAs.

Okay. We have had recent success in the 4th with Jason Brown and Demetrius Williams, so I will give you that.

As for this trade, the 3rd round pick is at the end of the round and pretty much a 4th. The 7th rounder is near the end and four moves from "Mr. Irrelevant." We have success with UDFAs and maybe, just maybe, there is some insight to what our comp picks will be in 2007 and 2008.

Yet another thought is that we could be looking into making a trade to net a 3rd rounder. Who knows, but in Ozzie I Trust.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz View Post
    Okay. We have had recent success in the 4th with Jason Brown and Demetrius Williams, so I will give you that.
    Hartwell, J.J., Ovie, and Mulitalo were all 4th round picks as well.

Here is the only clip of McGahee on Youtube not involving his knee injury. I'm looking for more highlights. THis one shows a level of breakout speed we haven't seen in a long, long time.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-IwPqfwR2o&NR

PurpleRulz- We also got Ed Hartwell in the 4th that I remember off the top of my head but I thinkthere are 2 or 3 more productive guys as well.

Yeah, I don't know. I just don't like giving up two thirds for this guy, especially if his contract turns out to be outlandish. Maybe we haven't done that well in the third round over the years, but that tells me we are due for some blockbusters judging from the way the rest of the draft usually turns out for us. I just wish there was some way to know who the Ravens would have taken with the 92nd pick this year and wherever our pick will be next year, that would be the best way to judge the trade. However, I do believe in "In Oz We Trust", and I will so on this matter also. After all, he has a lot more inside information on all the parameters/ramifications of this deal than any of us. I know he wouldn't let himself be taken advantage of.
    ... They shall mount up with wings as Eagles;

I think this is a great trade. We couldn't depend on getting a quality RB in the draft. Is McGahee and RB that depends on a FB blocking for him or does he run out of single back sets?

Quote Originally Posted by Gwaihir View Post
    But is he better than any tackle we could have gotten in the third?
    yes

OK, I read Tony's link to the Press Release and watched GreenWave52's video find on youtube. If Ray and Ed can get this guy motivated and make him happy, and he can show anything remotely similar to that video clip, this could be a BIG Deal. Oh yeah, he has to stay healthy, too.
    ... They shall mount up with wings as Eagles;

10. Re: McGahee a Raven

Welcome aboard Willis! Nice change of pace running back from the Dancing machine(don't get me wrong thanks for the memories Jamal)! I look foward to the new style type of running game from the Ravens with Willis! Hopefully over the next few seasons we will know what Willis will be talking about !

WM your newest Baltimore Raven

This is a great trade. I'm really looking forward to what McGahee can do for our team, and I see great things ahead of us. Matter of fact, I can already see Boller and McGahee leading us to the SB in 2008 (:

Blog Entries

I think, if you include potential comp picks and really bank on him being better behind our OL, you're looking at a decent move...

I'd refer to it like buying a newish car. It's not that you made a good deal, you just didn't get ripped off so bad.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!