Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Sign a FA Corner? Why not look to trade

Chad...(btw, nice name...I remember the namesake, he had a pretty good run here with the Ravens, went on to the 49ers I believe, kind've fizzled out, but he had a nice role here)

Let's look at the 4 teams you just mentioned, Oakland, Seattle, Cleveland, Buffalo...

Seattle and Oakland already made their moves at QBs, not looking to make changes there. Cleveland did also and proved they don't want Troy. Buffalo might make a move there, but they haven't seemed to be very interested in him.

At WR, don't see Oakland or Buffalo making a move at WR, they already have guys they like. Seattle made some overtures at Marshall, but haven't seemed interested in any other WRs since. Cleveland likewise seems pretty content.

My point is mainly that these teams aren't going to be falling over themselves to deal for those guys. They might do it, but they'll also be looking to squeeze the value out of us. Even if they are willing to do those deals, it's not Ozzie's style. He doesn't make rash moves as a reaction, he looks to build via small pieces.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

The problem with this is how many teams have a need at QB and WR at this point?
    Teams that are already thin at QB or WR who will have one go down with an ACL early next week, that's who.

Those of you that respond to Foxworth going down with "Next man up!" or who think a trade is not a likely scenario need to wake up.

Next man up is a rah-rah position to take if you have depth that you think can get the job done. Our depth is below starter level AND...what happens if one or more of THOSE guys go down at some point?

Do you really want to allow everything to hinge on whether Webb and Washington (and Reed) can get back close to 100% or whether the Ravens can magically find a pass rush? Because with the guys we have healthy who are likely to play CB, we are in deep shit against any of the good QBs we will play.

Think about it...the Ravens have loaded up the guns for a Super Bowl run. CB is arguably the only position on the team now that's weak. There is all of camp and all of preseason left. If Ozzie does not find or trade for a legitimate quality player now, it's possible that the whole season could be in the shitter.

My guess is that Bisciotti is going to want that hole filled, even if it means trading a high draft choice away.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

3. Re: Sign a FA Corner? Why not look to trade

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Chad...(btw, nice name...I remember the namesake, he had a pretty good run here with the Ravens, went on to the 49ers I believe, kind've fizzled out, but he had a nice role here)

Let's look at the 4 teams you just mentioned, Oakland, Seattle, Cleveland, Buffalo...

Seattle and Oakland already made their moves at QBs, not looking to make changes there. Cleveland did also and proved they don't want Troy. Buffalo might make a move there, but they haven't seemed to be very interested in him.

At WR, don't see Oakland or Buffalo making a move at WR, they already have guys they like. Seattle made some overtures at Marshall, but haven't seemed interested in any other WRs since. Cleveland likewise seems pretty content.

My point is mainly that these teams aren't going to be falling over themselves to deal for those guys. They might do it, but they'll also be looking to squeeze the value out of us. Even if they are willing to do those deals, it's not Ozzie's style. He doesn't make rash moves as a reaction, he looks to build via small pieces.
    Chad Williams is a great name sake, thanks for the nod on that. He scored on 37.5% of his touches while he was in Baltimore...That's legendary.

You're right as to things don't look good right now for teams having a need at QB. But I think if someone takes on Troy or Beck it would most definately be to sure up their backup QB position.

Plus I think things will change as Camdenyards says. Injuries occur all preseason, we just don't know if the ones that will occur will have any bearing upon what happens here.

But I think theres no way Ozzie gives up a high pick next year right now for anybody.

I am a firm believer in next man up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    Teams that are already thin at QB or WR who will have one go down with an ACL early next week, that's who.

Really? Hmmm...could you please enlighten us and tell us who that would be considering you seem to know that is going to happen?

Also, what's this week's winning lotto numbers? :D
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I don't think anyone would trade us a corner TBH, and when we Webb and Wash back what do we do with the guy we bring in? Would I like to see us trade Troy Smith, D-Will and a pick to the Bills for one of their better guys? Sure. But it won't happen, and as people are often fond of pointing out in the Gaither/Oher thing, the long term becomes problematic in that kind of scenario.

People know we have trouble and any attempt to make a move will result in a jacked-up price.

I think we possibly bring back Frank Walker, but this is it.

Thinking there will be a trade when there are two or three band-aid CB's out there is crazy talk.

This ain't the Redskins, where they back up a dump truck full of cash at the first sign of a player with the gout.

Thinking there will be a trade when there are two or three band-aid CB's out there is crazy talk.
    This highlights the difference between someone who would be willing to roll the dice with a special season on the line, and someone who wants insurance.

I can't stop thinking about that Pittsburgh Monday Night game in 2007 when Ben was playing pitch and catch with his receivers and our DBs weren't even in the picture. That dude Martin is still looking for the ball that Holmes caught for an easy TD.

Or how about the Colts game in the rain in 2007, when Manning was pulled up 4 TDs and begged to go back in so he could pad his stats. It was a turkey shoot.

See, I remember those games. Mainly because we played with band-aid DBs. And you want to go through that again?

We just lost arguably our #1 corner. There is no guarantee that any of the others are going to be right before next year. Give up a 3rd round pick for a quality guy and know that we've solidified the position. That's my take. And I don't think it's crazy.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Players that have little chance to make this team have very little value.

Who is "available" that would even be a better option then Fred Smoot, for example.

You jsut can't get a starting quality corner after the draft. It happens on occasion, but so does winning the daily lottery.

I'd much rather piece it together this year then give up a future pick, teams will want more then market value in a trade. As long as there is no more injuries i think we could get by with Washington, Carr, Harris then Williams after the 2 games, and Webb when he's healthy. This will probably mean more blitzing and more zone coverage but i think we will be ok. CB would have been atop the needs list for the 2011 draft anyway so i'd rather just wait and get a nice prospect early in that draft and pair him with Webb and Foxworth next year.

I also think we should make a trade if one is available for a starter quality CB. The problem is, teams know we'll be bargaining from a weak position and will probably be asking more than we want to give up. If we go that route it may be tough getting value.

Looks like some are induging in trade fantasies again. Hey, I like Mark Clayton more than many members on this board. But no way that he combined with Troy Smith or John Beck or Demetrius Williams or Forrest Gump is likely to get us a corner via trade that's any better than what we have. Clayton could certainly have some limited trade value, the others ...not so much.

I just don't see us getting a No. 1/2 NFL caliber corner under any but the most extraordinary circumstances. In other words, either trading a HIGH draft pick or one of our front line players. And that isn't the modus operandii of the Ravens FO.

What we'll more likely do is: a) get the least crappy FA DB we can find, or b) wait for later roster cuts from DB-rich teams in the hope of better quality. The downside with the latter approach is the learning curve any such player will have since he would have been in camp with a different team.

But either a or b above would most likely be for depth. I suspect our starting corners, like it or not, will be guys already on the roster. And while I sort of agree that "next man up!" is kind of an inane rah-rah thing, the success or failure of our defense will more than likely hinge on one or more of our guys stepping up and getting their play up to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    This highlights the difference between someone who would be willing to roll the dice with a special season on the line, and someone who wants insurance.

I can't stop thinking about that Pittsburgh Monday Night game in 2007 when Ben was playing pitch and catch with his receivers and our DBs weren't even in the picture. That dude Martin is still looking for the ball that Holmes caught for an easy TD.

Or how about the Colts game in the rain in 2007, when Manning was pulled up 4 TDs and begged to go back in so he could pad his stats. It was a turkey shoot.

See, I remember those games. Mainly because we played with band-aid DBs. And you want to go through that again?

We just lost arguably our #1 corner. There is no guarantee that any of the others are going to be right before next year. Give up a 3rd round pick for a quality guy and know that we've solidified the position. That's my take. And I don't think it's crazy.
    Now follow your logic out to it's conclusion ....

Who will we get that is better than say Fred Smooth for a number 3 pick?

You honestly think we will get anything close to proper value? And you really believe that, can you name a team willing to trade with us now?

My point is why give up that pick when you can get just as good a player by signing someone off the street. That's not insurance -- that's best of both worlds.

Teams know we are looking, thus either the prices goes up or the quality of the person we can grab goes down. You will NEVER get the quality player you think is possible given our situation.

The team knows this and that's why they are already talking names like Frank Walker.

Unless we do as I stated and become the Redskins North (back up a dump truck of cash and / or offer of a 1-2 round pick), we aint tradin'.

Nor should we.