Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens close to trading for McGahee

POINTS OF CLARIFICATION:For the right price I do support the move to get Willis McGahee. It would seem that the right price is in the $12-14 million in guaranteed money. Of course I don't think the Ravens should sacrifice anything more than a No. 3 but that's a matter of opinion.

As for the cap hit, here's how it works....

If the Ravens use their exemption, they can spread Mulitalo's cap hit over 2 years. That cap hit is the unamortized bonus money which equates to $2.551M or $1.276M per year for the next two seasons.

If Mulitalo remained on the roster, his cap figure would have been $2.85M.

Therefore if the Ravens use the exemption, the cap savings in '07 will be $1.575M by our estimation. If the Ravens don't use the exemption, the figure is $299K.

...definitely. Some of this money getting thrown around at has been or mediocre at best backs is making me more than a little sick.

3. Re: Ravens close to trading for McGahee

sign McGahee to an extension and complete the trade. Says it should happen by the end of today.

Man I'm listening to WNST and they have said nothing about an imminent trade, can anyone verify that what the man said is true? I'm not doubting your credibility man but I just havent heard it.
    [IMG]http://www.fanwear.com/logos/newnfl/ravens.gif[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensman View Post
    sign McGahee to an extension and complete the trade. Says it should happen by the end of today.

Man I'm listening to WNST and they have said nothing about an imminent trade, can anyone verify that what the man said is true? I'm not doubting your credibility man but I just havent heard it.
    As far as it being today, Drew F. was expressing that as his opinion this morning but it was 'just' speculation on his part.

That said, I *do* think the timing is right for something to happen today, and I'd be amazed now that we made the roster move with Mulitalo if it's not tomorrow at the latest.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Trading for McGahee is a good move. I hope they don't dilly dally around and lose out on this chance. How many other quality backs will become available?
    If he stays healthy is a def upgrade over JL.

FM

6. Re: Ravens close to trading for McGahee

thanks festivus thats wghat it seemed liek to me, however the author of the thread was implying that this was a done deal, and it was kind of a downer to find out it's not
    [IMG]http://www.fanwear.com/logos/newnfl/ravens.gif[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by F Angelos View Post
    He's a Clowns fan cut him some slack! They don't have that darn radio technology out there.
    What the hell are you talking about? Do you even know me? When have I ever given any indication I was a Browns fan? Tell that to the handful of board members who have met me at tailgates.

Sorry PurpleRacist - I was hoping to hear about it from another credible source other than just a message board and radio rumor. You know, because hearing something from multiple sources sort of increases its believability. Why don't you go back to celebrating Tony Dungy's Super Bowl victory?

I'm not getting all worked up expecting this to happen today...especially when if the move was a pure cap thing, they would have cut Vincent, not Mule.

Perhaps its a message to Ogden. Get ready to play with whoever we decide to start, or get ready to retire.

Ogden retiring would free up even more cap space, if I recall correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post

As well as put a 3-4 win sized hole at RT... with Pashos gone we need Ogden more then ever.

I'm not totally sold on it being a 3-4 win hole.

A 1st round tackle, probably Arron Sears could work out wonderfully....but I am in no way suggesting that JO retiring is a good thing this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    As for the cap hit, here's how it works....

If the Ravens use their exemption, they can spread Mulitalo's cap hit over 2 years. That cap hit is the unamortized bonus money which equates to $2.551M or $1.276M per year for the next two seasons.

If Mulitalo remained on the roster, his cap figure would have been $2.85M.

Therefore if the Ravens use the exemption, the cap savings in '07 will be $1.575M by our estimation. If the Ravens don't use the exemption, the figure is $299K.
    Tony - that's not exactly how it works. If they use the exemption, this year's pro-rata share of bonus money still counts - $850K - and they are relieved of his base salary of $2M. The remaining two unaccounted-for shares of his bonus (since his contract is through 2009) would accelerate and count next year as $1.7M in "dead money". It's not split in 1/2 between the years (unless there are only 2 years remaining on a contract).

The catch that many seem to not be realizing - and apparently Drew didn't either - is that by using the exemption, they will be getting June 1 treatment, but Edwin's present cap number stays on the books as it is until June 1, when the Ravens would be the $2M rebate.

So, while there still may be something to the McGahee rumors, Mulitalo's release is not a precursor to that since it's not going to be creating any major currrent cap savings.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    Perhaps its a message to Ogden. Get ready to play with whoever we decide to start, or get ready to retire.

Would you stop with this crap already?

You act like JO gave some ultimatum that Mule and Flynn have to be on the roster or he's out.

It's all speculation at best. And Im sure he'd like to spend what might be his last season with guys that he's busted ass with for 7 or 8 years. Who wouldn't? It doesn't mean he told the FO who not to cut.

Stop acting like JO is some huge distraction. He's never held anything over this organizations head and vice versa. Ozzie and Co. have way too much respect for him to send some stupid "message" through cutting a guy like Mulitalo. If that move enables the Ravens to aquire a guy like Magahee, do you honestly think Ogden says..."Screw them, they got a young quality RB but cut Edwin, Im done with them."?

Ogden wants to win. Period. That's all he's said for years now. Win, win, win.

And he played 85% of last season with Brown next to him. He sure didn't seem down when he was wired for sound for the NO game.

You love to think the worst of many on this team. Some I can see. But give it a rest with the best player ever to wear a Ravens uniform.

PP