Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens close to trading for McGahee

Has there been any further updates on WNST the last hour or two?

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz View Post
    It was reported on the radio. Hint: turn your radio knob switch to "On".
    Weren't you the one who questioned the Jarrett Johnson signing when I posted Clayton's columnn when he clearly wrote we re-signed him? Not to mention Brent Harris was reporting it.

I wouldn't say "good" yet. This is not being reported anywhere else. I'd wait for some legit confirmation before celebrating.
    Again, this is NOT reported anywhere (internet or TV), so don't count this as news until it is made official. Clayton has been wrong about signings before.
    Yea, you were.

Yet NST reports that Mulitalo will be cut. Not that he's been cut. But that he will be cut. Someone asks if there is any other outlet reporting it and you jump all over them? Gimme a break.

PP

Tony - that's not exactly how it works. If they use the exemption, this year's pro-rata share of bonus money still counts - $850K - and they are relieved of his base salary of $2M. The remaining two unaccounted-for shares of his bonus (since his contract is through 2009) would accelerate and count next year as $1.7M in "dead money". It's not split in 1/2 between the years (unless there are only 2 years remaining on a contract).
    Speaking of being wrong....B-More, I did think that there were only 2 years remaining on Edwin's contract and assumed the mechanics were similar to a post June 1 cut...thanks for clearing that up.

The leather doesn't taste as bad with snow!

THis thread is heading off track.

I would rather cut Vincnet over Mule, but perhaps there isn't any cap benefit of cutting Vincent. Or maybe they want to keep Brown on the left side instead of switching over to RG?

The reason Flynn, the worst player on the line, isn't a cap cut target is because he can suck at 2 positions and is the only back-up center. (I guess in emergency they could put Brown in the position and move someone else to guard.

Since we got Rimpf back we aren't perilously thin inside (still thin though) but with no back-ups at the tackle positions look for us to go o-line early and often in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave52 View Post
    Since we got Rimpf back we aren't perilously thin inside (still thin though) but with no back-ups at the tackle positions look for us to go o-line early and often in the draft.
    I'm thinking at least 1 guard and two tackles. Hopefully Sears or Staley at # 1.
    ... They shall mount up with wings as Eagles;

I'm just not sold on this whole idea. I don't think we should be trading a draft pick for a RB and giving him a big contract extension. I like that the runner in question is coming into the prime of his career, but this is going to hurt our ability to keep together the rest of our talent. I haven't been flattered with McGahee so far, but then again, he's had a shitty line to work with and not much consistency in the rest of the offense.

Mulitalo cannot stay healthy.

Is he a better player than Flynn? Eh, it's almost debateable now.

Ed is extremely one dimensional and has never been very quick.

We don't even know for sure if he's been cut, but I think if it didn't happen now, it most likely would've happened a little further down the line.

I thought when he was IR'd last season that we had seen his last play in a Ravens uniform.

PP

Aaron Wilson is saying the Ravens have officially cut Edwin Mulitalo now on YBR. A story should follow.
    Last edited by GreenWave52; 03-07-2007 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Clarification

Since no one else seems to be interested in McGahee, I'm not so sure we shouldn't be holding out for a fourth round pick given up, like we did with McNair. I'm not really sure how I feel about picking this guy up, yet, but for a fourth, it seems reasonable, even if we don't sign him long term. I know he's buddies with Ray and Ed Reed, but there has to be some reason no one else wants him.
    ... They shall mount up with wings as Eagles;

The Ravens official site is also reporting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwaihir View Post
    Since no one else seems to be interested in McGahee, I'm not so sure we shouldn't be holding out for a fourth round pick given up, like we did with McNair. I'm not really sure how I feel about picking this guy up, yet, but for a fourth, it seems reasonable, even if we don't sign him long term. I know he's buddies with Ray and Ed Reed, but there has to be some reason no one else wants him.
    1. He's only signed for this season.

2. Most teams have either filled their RB needs or are going to draft a player very high with the hopes of starting him this season.

What teams right now need a starting RB?

Ravens, Packers (many believe they want Marshawn Lynch), Browns (Peterson seems like a no brainer), and maybe the Giants. Rumor has it they offered a 4th rounder for Magahee but no more. They also have Brandon Jacobs who they might go with as a #1 and bring in a lesser guy via F/A or a later round pick.

PP

The Ravens don't have a fourth round pick. I don't think McGahee's worth the cost, when you factor in the contract it will cost to extend him.