Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Dwan Edwards takes shot at B'more

Meh. I'm a nice Baltimore lad.

But FUCK that overpaid piece of shit if he thinks we're not friendly.

If I wanted to make friends I'd get a FaceBook account.:D

I know the natives of the area are taking offense to what Dwan and I have been saying, but as a a transplant I still have to agree with Dwan. As someone mentioned, go visit Toronto.

I don't mean this in any way to say that people around here can't be good, or that there aren't lots of good poeple, simply that the good is overshadowed with the bad. It's not an overly welcoming city, and the character of far too many is far too low. I constantly talk to visitors both visiting here from afar, or leaving here for other places, and it is a consistant theme. The selfishness that abounds in MD, does so in concentrations unseen elsewhere. Everyone is out to get you around here.... I knowq this sounds naive, but it's simply not like this everywhere.

Jonboy,

I'm really not seeing what you're seeing. I've traveled around a lot, up and down the east coast many times, the deep south, the midwest, and parts of Canada. The only city that I would consider "nicer", in regards to the natives, would be St John's, Newfoundland, Canada. As for Toronto, I would equate the people in that city to those in Washington, DC. Nothing nasty about them, but nothing really memorable either. Boston people are rather snobby. New Yorkers all have an attitude. Many parts of the deep south are friendly, but you're gonna get an earful of politics eventually, whether you ask for it or not. And you always get the feeling that you'd be better off not disagreeing with them. People in Florida are fairly indifferent, as most of them are simply transplants. The midwest is full of people who are full of pride, but unfortunately few of them have traveled much. Philadelphia is full of assholes, and the North Carolina sometimes shows an inferiority complex, for whatever reason. Virginians are always trying to prove that they're not the same people as those in the Virginia suburbs of DC.

Perhaps we're closest in nature to Central and Southern VA, since we're always trying to separate ourselves from DC as well. But the level of selfishness that you're talking about? I just don't see it, and I've lived here for all except 2 years of my now middle-aged life.
    Last edited by Beerracuda; 07-03-2010 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerracuda View Post
    Jonboy,

I'm really not seeing what you're seeing. I've traveled around a lot, up and down the east coast many times, the deep south, the midwest, and parts of Canada. The only city that I would consider "nicer", in regards to the natives, would be St John's, Newfoundland, Canada. As for Toronto, I would equate the people in that city to those in Washington, DC. Nothing nasty about them, but nothing really memorable either. Boston people are rather snobby. New Yorkers all have an attitude. Many parts of the deep south are friendly, but you're gonna get an earful of politics eventually, whether you ask for it or not. And you always get the feeling that you'd be better off not disagreeing with them. People in Florida are fairly indifferent, as most of them are simply transplants. The midwest is full of people who are full of pride, but unfortunately few of them have traveled much. Philadelphia is full of assholes, and the North Carolina sometimes shows an inferiority complex, for whatever reason. Virginians are always trying to prove that they're not the same people as those in the Virginia suburbs of DC.

Perhaps we're closest in nature to Central and Southern VA, since we're always trying to separate ourselves from DC as well. But the level of selfishness that you're talking about? I just don't see it, and I've lived here for all except 2 years of my now middle-aged life.

Let me make it a little easier for you. Have you ever travelled out west? Do yoiu notice the OBVIOUS, in your face difference between the average person there and here? There are so many less dorkheads out there....

Thumbs down Re: Dwan Edwards takes shot at B'more

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Let me make it a little easier for you. Have you ever travelled out west? Do yoiu notice the OBVIOUS, in your face difference between the average person there and here? There are so many less dorkheads out there....
    If you are talking about the plains and mountains states, I would agree with you. We have a place in the Colorado mountains, far enough away from Denver & its problems, that the locals could easily be confused with Darb's neighbors in Northern Alabama (where I've also lived). Every small to mid-sized Western town that I have visited (over at least 30 driving trips through the Rockies and the desert) has brought me in touch with warm people -- the way that it used to be in Annapolis, Southern Maryland, and the Eastern Shore.

But, please, don't even think about including anything west of the Sierra Nevada mountains in a discussion about obnoxious & rude people. If Coastal California reverted to Mexico (as many of the wetbacks want), I would cheer. They could take along Portland and Seattle as well. Smug-ass Californians used to mock us for our racial issues, then turn around and disdain all Okies and Arkies (which included my wife's family). I have met few Coastal Californians whose cold & arrogant personalities were any different than Yankees. Too bad that all that great scenery & weather is inhabited by the Californians. California going bankrupt? BFD!
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

Arnie just knocked 200,000 hourly workers to min wage and the unions
    agreed to it.

Californians will be the next to riot like in Greece and Spain.

I don't really have a problem with what he says. Sadly, it's true. When home team fans cheer the starting quarterback getting hurt- a la Boller- that's pretty classless... and "not too nice."

All it takes is a few bad apples to spoil a fanbase. Negative impressions last much longer- and wasn't that Edwards 1st year with the team too...
    "Sorry officer, nothing wrong here. I'm just watching the Ravens game!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    If you are talking about the plains and mountains states, I would agree with you. We have a place in the Colorado mountains, far enough away from Denver & its problems, that the locals could easily be confused with Darb's neighbors in Northern Alabama (where I've also lived). Every small to mid-sized Western town that I have visited (over at least 30 driving trips through the Rockies and the desert) has brought me in touch with warm people -- the way that it used to be in Annapolis, Southern Maryland, and the Eastern Shore.

But, please, don't even think about including anything west of the Sierra Nevada mountains in a discussion about obnoxious & rude people. If Coastal California reverted to Mexico (as many of the wetbacks want), I would cheer. They could take along Portland and Seattle as well. Smug-ass Californians used to mock us for our racial issues, then turn around and disdain all Okies and Arkies (which included my wife's family). I have met few Coastal Californians whose cold & arrogant personalities were any different than Yankees. Too bad that all that great scenery & weather is inhabited by the Californians. California going bankrupt? BFD!
    Wow, really? YOu need to spend some more time in Los Angeles then. LA is a melting pot containing so many people from various small towns all over the U.S. If you're running into cold people out here, you must be in the wrong neighborhoods. Like most cities, it depends on where you are. One block over even could sometimes make a world of difference.

I've been in LA for over 11 years now, and I'm still stunned out how nice some people are at times. There are still people you want to avoid- and maybe some bigger egos (when you do run into them), but no different than anywhere else really.
    "Sorry officer, nothing wrong here. I'm just watching the Ravens game!"

This has become a really interesting thread. I may be in the minority here, but I think that people are generally pretty nice in most regions. I used to moderate focus groups in different cities around the country (and I realize the participants were not just random citizens), and with the exception of Philadelphia, I found people in every city to be friendly. Even in Philly, they weren't unfriendly exactly, they just said what they had to say in as few words as possible. They acted like they were in a hurry to get somplace -- they just weren't very conversational.

I moved to Florida last November for personal and economic reasons, and I can tell you that I do miss Baltimore. If I could get a job up there, I'd probably move back. The people in central MD are as friendly as most places I've been.

It's interesting that, when people say things they shouldn't say & get in trouble for it, the following debate is normally on the merits on what they said rather than its propriety. You see it all the time.

(a) I like Baltimore well enough, having lived here now for ~15 years..
    (b) This comment is something you have to choose to be offended by. I choose not.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Blog Entries

JON BOY - Why do you even root for the Ravens since you hate the
    town so much.

You even moved to Pissburgh country.

You should be a Squeelers fan since you hate us so much.

You move out there while all of them are moving here. I just got in from the pool where
    there was a guy with a Squeeler blanket, a guy with a Penn State hat and a guy with
    a Pirates hat.

I was the only one wearing Bmore colors. They come here and you move up there and
    then you diss us.

Doesn't make sense.

Edwards had at least one good friend in this town - Cal. There was a article how Cal invited Dwan to his place
    to play basketball. Dwan was really impressed with the gym in his back yard. He had uniforms for all his
    guests in every size with huge locker rooms complete with whirl pools and a gym.

Dwan said Cal is always looking for someone good to play B-ball vs.

Again, Edwards is pissed because he knows he was a bust here and he knows we commented on it.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 07-04-2010 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    It's interesting that, when people say things they shouldn't say & get in trouble for it, the following debate is normally on the merits on what they said rather than its propriety. You see it all the time.

(a) I like Baltimore well enough, having lived here now for ~15 years..
    (b) This comment is something you have to choose to be offended by. I choose not.
    Agreed.

I migth have been offended if he had been a high profiled player like Mcgahee versus Buffalo, still I doubt it.

I dislike personel attacks to Ravens players or personel like AD and Bart did.

And what is Dwan going to do, when Bills media ask him about differences.. it is easy to say I like Buffalo people more, harmless.