Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: WNST Pity Party

Re: WNST Pity Party

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Guess the joke is on Angelos though, since this so-called Nestor ego-stroke has made news around the country. I just saw it reported on SportsCenter a moment ago.
    But Stinger, if Angelos continues to live in his own little world where he can do no wrong, what difference does it make? This guy doesn't respond to events the way a normal person would, he'll just continue to think that he's doing a great job and the critics are fools who just don't understand how brilliant he is.

Oh I know HW. But even King Pete has to wake up today and realize he's been the subject of almost every local and national sports news outlet today. The only people who will back Angelos today will be the scared folks at WJFK led by Anita "Look at me, I'm on MASN" Marks. I'm guessing if Anita, who knows almost NOTHING about Orioles Baseball and it's history, she might have the guts to talk about what this rally was about. Then again Angelos would kick her off MASN before she could even finish her first sentence.

Angelos got called out today all over the country, and now on SportsCenter. I'm watching Baseball Tonight now to see if it got covered. And the more he makes those stupid statements like he did, the more the country gets to understand our frustration with the team.

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    But Stinger, if Angelos continues to live in his own little world where he can do no wrong, what difference does it make? This guy doesn't respond to events the way a normal person would, he'll just continue to think that he's doing a great job and the critics are fools who just don't understand how brilliant he is.
    So, again, DO NOTHING! Don't even TRY to change his mind and see the errors of his ways. Whats the point? He wont change anything, right?

only 1,000 people showed up brother....that says it all for how people feel about nestor....told ya so

Quote Originally Posted by birdbrain View Post
    only 1,000 people showed up brother....that says it all for how people feel about nestor....told ya so

I actually don't think that's the case. I think a lot of people agree with this movement but didn't want to put any cash in Petey's hands. You don't like him fine, that's your opinion. But he did something that is getting national coverage and drew attention to a team that has controlled the local media for a long time. I worked for Hearst Broadcasting when they told on-air staff to not talk bad about the Orioles. I was there when they started shuffling the evening sports hosts because Petey didn't like what was being said. I was there when the staff told me that Jim Hunter is a tool and no one at that station even wants him working there. He sucks up to Petey more then a vacume cleaner. Pete controls the situation and Nestor had the guts to stand up to him.

Again, if we had done this over 20 years ago the Colts would be here. An owner would have taken them off of Irsay's hands and given us a winning team.

I've talked to people who were there and said it felt and looked like much more than 1,000.

Still, 1,000 people is not bad for the middle of a workday. I'm sure that kept a few people away who would have otherwise liked to attend but couldn't get off work.

There was atleast twice that many but who's counting. That isn't the point. You can blow Angelos all you want. Some of us decided to make a statement and we did. It was in the NYPOST, ESPN, Sportsline, USATODAY and the list goes on and on. You didn't tell anybody anything.

You told us what? Even if it was about 1,000 fans, that seems pretty substantial to me for a 4:15 game on a weekday.

I'm not really a big fan of Nestor -- in fact, the more I listen to him talk about himself, the less I like him -- but drawing one or two thousand fans to protest the Angelos ownership is not a bad thing. It won't make a difference to Angelos, but it sounds like the people who attended had a good time, so what's the downside?

I cannot stand Nasty and of course he made alot of this about him but the protest did do something.

What that is isn't really tangible but for as many news outlets to cover it as there were, it made some noise.

BTW, Anita Marks is so horrid that Im now embarassed for her. I would LOVE to see her ratings now. I happened to turn on MASN and her show was on. Seriously, is that show a spoof?

I caught Bob from Parkville today on Rob Long and he went crazy on her. I guess she says that the O's cannot afford a 100 million payroll. Bob pointed out that they had a 100 million payroll in 96 and now have more revenue with MASN.

The O's have fallen so far it's astonishing. Im not surprised at anything anymore when it comes to this franchise and it's moronic owner.

It's not about just the spending. Look around the league and look at what teams have much smaller payrolls than us yet still have MUCH better records. Yes, competing with the Yanks and Sox makes it harder but there is absolutely no imagination or pride with the Orioles. THAT is why they are mired in this streak of losing seasons. And it's never gonna change with this owner. Never. I mean, any owner who had even minimal brainwaves would've reversed this slide years ago.

PP

I guess the rally did nothing....

The New York Times - "Fans Lament Decline and Fall of the Orioles" • The Washington Post - "After Fans Protest, Orioles Stage a Rally"
    • The Washington Times - "Fans want Angelos out" • Baltimore Sun - "Birds have yet to be freed, but protestors can fly high" - Peter Schmuck
    • The Baltimore Examiner - "Orioles Protesters Walk Out on Team" • Baltimore Examiner - "O's faithful voice angst"
    • Orioles.MostValuableNetwork.com - "The Rally" • SportingNews.com - "Bad baseball is for the Birds"
    • ESPN.com - "'Free the birds': Orioles fans walk out in protest" • SportsIllustrated.com - "Freed Birds - Orioles protesters walk out on team during game"
    • The Los Angeles Times - "Orioles Fans Leave in Protest" • The Seattle Times - "Orioles fans skip; Tigers slip"
    • St. Paul Pioneer Press - "Orioles protesters walk out on team" • USA Today - "Orioles protesters walk out on team"
    • ABC News - "'Free the Birds': Baltimore Orioles Protesters Walk Out on Team During Game Against Tigers" • FoxSports.com - "Disgruntled Orioles fans walked out of Baltimore's game against Detroit en masse"
    • SportingNews.com - "Orioles protesters walk out on team" • WJZ.com - "Hundreds of Orioles Fans Walk Out of Camden Yards
    • Baltimore Sun - "O's fans speak - with their feet • Baltimore Sun - "Aparicio ready to lead chagrined O's fans in protest"
    • SportsIllustrated.com - "Nestor Aparicio...trying something, anything, to change the culture of losing around the Baltimore Orioles." • Baltimore Sun - "Joining O's protest sends right message"
    • PressBox - "The Last Laugh: Q&A wth Peter Angelos" • CBS SportsLine.com - "Earl Weaver would be Proud"
    • PressBox - "WNST Plans Protest" • ESPN - "Orioles mired in a full-blown identity crisis"
    • Baltimore Sun - "Sick of the same old song, Orioles fan changes tune" • Baltimore Sun - "Exasperated O's fans deserve better, on and off field"

The rally was a total success, and it had nothing to do with numbers. It is the same as how folks argued over the actual number of men at the Million Man March in 1996, there will always be different crowd totals.

What made the rally a success is actually Peter Angelos's response to it. Love Nestor or hate him, he did a wonderful job and had much to lose. He would have looked like an ass, for instance, if only 50 persons showed up.

I also loved how the radio announcers were trying to ignore and cover up the chants that were coming through loudly over the radio. My work schedule conflicted, but I sure as heck would have been there. I did wear my jersey during my sessions all day.

My hope is, as suggested on ESPN, that fans in KC and Pittsburgh follow suit with rallies of their own. Those were once proud franchises as well; (KC: George Brett, Bret Saberhagen, Willie Aikens, and the Pirates with Willie Stargell, Omar Moreno, etc).

I take my hat off to WNST.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

12. Re: WNST Pity Party

Last 2 posts are right on. Angelos was in full melt in the paper. He finally got his if only for one day.

As for the people dissing the # of protesters... Pa-lease. This AM on Cold Pizza I happened to see the rest of the stadium. It was empty. By comparison, the protesters were the million man march.

PS- This is a total melt job.
    "He(Aparicio) is a very unimportant person who has delusions of grandeur," Angelos said.
    Translation: I'm the only big shot in this town. The rest of you pee-ons can eat cake.