Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WNST Pity Party

Re: WNST Pity Party

Quote Originally Posted by birdbrain
    it is fairly simple...nestor is all about himself....and his true reasons are to bring as much attention to himself as he can...case in point...his moons lately....all about him....his website?....all pics of himself....go around town and you will find out quickly how many people despise the guy....
    Nestor is, without a doubt, an unlikeable person to many. I wouldn't have a person, personality, such as his, as a friend, but he is a Baltimore fan. His radio station has the best sportstalk shows, Bob Haynie is a good listen, especially. I don't know how this rally could be less about him or his station. The T-shirts do not invoke his or the station's name, but it is a logical vehicle for the promotion of the rally. The "Moon" episodes are very self-serving, but are intended to set the stage for the rally. They are intended to show how one boy, now a man,'s love for a team with a very storied franchise has been corrupted by Bad ownership, bad management, bad moves, and an obvious disdain, or disregard of the fans by the owner! He was evidently asked to leave the stadium 2 years ago for some reason or other, and has an obvious hard-on for Pete, but in my opinion it is well justified! If you go to the web-site, there is an enormous list of absolutely appalling moves by Petros, which most of us were not privy to, at least the real happenings behind the scenes. If only half of them are perfectly accurate, the cause is Just, and justified. While he may not be the one you, or others would like to lead the movement, it is a good cause. Remember what happened in the early 80's when we stood idly by and let DICKHEAD irsay ruin our Colts, just so he could move them? This is at least an attempt to keep our beloved baseball team here, and I for one am all for it!!!:bag:

Quote Originally Posted by highwater
    Well, the morning show guys should be able to handle a little critcism, as mean-spirited as they can be at times.

Btw, I don't listen to WNST much, but last week I tuned in for a few minutes and heard some of that "Nestor's Life Story As Told By Nestor." I'm not sure what the point of it was, but it was so odd it was funny. It was just like someone on this board described it a week or so ago -- "I'm just a boy from Dundalk," "Here I was, a kid from Dundalk," "Who'd have thought that a poor boy from Dundalk," etc. I don't know if it had any connection to the rally, since I didn't hear the beginning or the ending (it must have gone on for 15 or 20 minutes), but it was pretty strange.
    The point was to write a book about his memories of growing up with the O's and going to games with his dad. Its to bring to light how Effed up the O's are today and how kids today aren't getting that experiece. I get it. Its really pretty simple to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac
    The point was to write a book about his memories of growing up with the O's and going to games with his dad. Its to bring to light how Effed up the O's are today and how kids today aren't getting that experiece.
    Oh, okay, so there is a connection. Like I said earlier, I don't listen to WNST much, and I only heard the middle of this life-story Moon, so I wasn't sure what the point was (except to mention repeatedly that he's a "boy from Dundalk").

I am neither a fan nor a detractor of Nestor, and I share his utter disdain for Angelos, but I also doubt this rally will accomplish anything. Like CamdenYard said earlier in this thread, Angelos will not do anthing as a result of any outside pressure. He just isn't wired that way. It might provide a means of letting frustrated fans vent, but it won't encourage him to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by highwater
    I am neither a fan nor a detractor of Nestor, and I share his utter disdain for Angelos, but I also doubt this rally will accomplish anything. Like CamdenYard said earlier in this thread, Angelos will not do anthing as a result of any outside pressure. He just isn't wired that way. It might provide a means of letting frustrated fans vent, but it won't encourage him to sell.
    We can only hope that there is some fallout from the rally. Nestor has alluded to the fact that certain media outlets are or will be involved. I can only assume that as the group of people involved gets larger, so does the possibility of local and/or national coverage. That is why, folks, someone who owns his own radio station is the perfect conduit for this type of rally. What is so hard to grasp about this?

Anyone got a better plan short of an accurately tossed Molotov cocktail to the owner's box? (Preferably when the owner is in said box, of course. And standing up so you can spot him).
    She had me at "Hell, NO!"

I will say one good thing for Nestor. I grew up in Dundalk and my brother and cousin know him personally. I got my seats in Section 513 because of him. He gave me a name of a person to call in the TO to get my seats and he helped me out. I thanked him for that.

I give him credit trying to do something about the downfall of the Orioles and getting Angelos out. It's better then nothing.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

I guess BirdBrain (seems fairly appropriate) didn't really listen much this morning.

So I'll give you all the EXACT reason for our thoughts this morning and then once you are equipped with the facts, you are welcome to post your criticisms and/or support for what we said.

We were not upset with people for criticizing the rally on 9/21. We field phone calls every day from people who are "against it" in some way, shape or form. If you think the rally is a bad idea, call in. If you think we're mistreating the Orioles, call in. If you want to criticize, call in.

Our topic today was based on the fact that people (Baltimore Sun.com and O's hangout to name two) have posted messages saying they SUPPORT the rally and its concept but will NOT attend the event on 9/21 because they think it's unfair that WNST has attached its name to the rally and could, somehow (no one has told us how yet), actually benefit from such involvement. There are numerous people "out there" who think "something needs to be done" relative to the Orioles but haven't come up with an original idea in their life. And then they have the balls to say, "Your idea is a good one but I don't think you should benefit from having the good idea." Huh?

The show this morning was not a pity party. You are absolutely welcome to NOT support the rally and you can call the show tomorrow morning and voice your displeasure with the event.

What baffles me is how people who consider themselves sports people and/or marketing experts would post something and say, "I'm not going to the rally because I think it's a disgrace that WNST has attached its name to it." How the hell else do we get the word out? WBAL isn't promoting a rally. WJFK isn't promoting a rally. The Examiner isn't promoting a rally. The PressBox isn't promoting a rally. None of the TV stations are promoting the rally. Most of those people are in bed with the Orioles and are petrified to do anything like this. We are putting this event on and in order to "spread the word" and get people to hear about it, don't we have to promote it through our radio station? If we don't promote the rally we're putting together, how on earth is anyone going to find out about it?

That was the point this morning. BirdBrain didn't hear the whole show, evidently, or just decided to come up with an agenda that favored his/her position without being fair.

Now, armed with the FACTS, you can flame away if you like and I will gladly digest your thoughts and use them on the air tomorrow morning if applicable.

DF

Like CamdenYard said earlier in this thread, Angelos will not do anthing as a result of any outside pressure.

I'm going. I don't know what it will do but sitting on our asses and NOT going to games has accomplished what? I don't know what the impact will be but media folks in town know about it and my only hope is that national media pick it up and show 5000 O's fans wearing purple in the left field seats chanting for Cal Ripken to own the team. If any of you choose to do nothing but bitch about the messenger then offer up something as an option.

Quote Originally Posted by BaltimoreRon
    We can only hope that there is some fallout from the rally. Nestor has alluded to the fact that certain media outlets are or will be involved. I can only assume that as the group of people involved gets larger, so does the possibility of local and/or national coverage. That is why, folks, someone who owns his own radio station is the perfect conduit for this type of rally. What is so hard to grasp about this?

Anyone got a better plan short of an accurately tossed Molotov cocktail to the owner's box? (Preferably when the owner is in said box, of course. And standing up so you can spot him).
    Exactly!

Actually, there WILL be national media coverage. Nestor wasn't born yesterday, I am sure he has connections. I even saw an advertisement for it last night on ESPN while watching the football game, as well as Comcast Sportsnet a week earlier.

Even if after all of this, Angelos doesn't sell the team, at least this community came together to do something about their disgust with the Orioles. Not showing up isn't working. Imagine if something like this could have been done for the Colts back in 1983.

Brandon -- yes, the empty seat ploy can definitely be deemed a failure.

I voted for Steven Miles today because the other guy works for Angelos. That's how much I loathe Angelos.

I was there the night of 2131, when Angeloser (aka Meat Stacker) began his interminable speech. When the fans began to boo (deservedly), he looked startled and confused -- he didn't get it. That, unfortunately, is the story of his ownership tenure.

(Now off to google Molotov Cocktail.) ;)
    She had me at "Hell, NO!"

Drew, I support the rally and I have no problems with NST's name on it but please, can't you just destroy the Nestor "life story" tapes & tell him it was an accident.

The "poor boy from Dundalk" who went to 40 games a year schtick puts a lot of people off. As does the constant rehashing of his "glory days" covering rock bands & other stuff that has nothing to do with sports. Just being honest.

"What baffles me is how people who consider themselves sports people and/or marketing experts would post something and say, "I'm not going to the rally because I think it's a disgrace that WNST has attached its name to it." How the hell else do we get the word out? WBAL isn't promoting a rally. WJFK isn't promoting a rally. The Examiner isn't promoting a rally. The PressBox isn't promoting a rally. None of the TV stations are promoting the rally. Most of those people are in bed with the Orioles and are petrified to do anything like this. We are putting this event on and in order to "spread the word" and get people to hear about it, don't we have to promote it through our radio station? If we don't promote the rally we're putting together, how on earth is anyone going to find out about it? "

Totally agree. I think what WNST is doing with this rally is an excellent idea. My only criticism is why they decided to wait until September? It should have been done much sooner.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

There were a thousand other ways to promote this thing using the station that didnt have to involve 1 hr per day of Nestors life story,thats what people have a problem with.He should have just put it up on the web,and if people wanted to read it they could.I love listening to NST and dont really like 1300,and when that stuff comes on it is just irritating as hell.lets leave the talking during the day to Drew,Terry,Bob,rob and Jeramy and stop interrupting SPORTS TALK to mix in an autobiography of the station owner.