Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 84

Thread: WNST Pity Party

  1. #16

    Re: WNST Pity Party



    Quote Originally Posted by highwater
    I am neither a fan nor a detractor of Nestor, and I share his utter disdain for Angelos, but I also doubt this rally will accomplish anything. Like CamdenYard said earlier in this thread, Angelos will not do anthing as a result of any outside pressure. He just isn't wired that way. It might provide a means of letting frustrated fans vent, but it won't encourage him to sell.
    We can only hope that there is some fallout from the rally. Nestor has alluded to the fact that certain media outlets are or will be involved. I can only assume that as the group of people involved gets larger, so does the possibility of local and/or national coverage. That is why, folks, someone who owns his own radio station is the perfect conduit for this type of rally. What is so hard to grasp about this?

    Anyone got a better plan short of an accurately tossed Molotov cocktail to the owner's box? (Preferably when the owner is in said box, of course. And standing up so you can spot him).
    She had me at "Hell, NO!"




  2. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mount Airy, MD.
    Posts
    1,403

    Re: WNST Pity Party

    I will say one good thing for Nestor. I grew up in Dundalk and my brother and cousin know him personally. I got my seats in Section 513 because of him. He gave me a name of a person to call in the TO to get my seats and he helped me out. I thanked him for that.

    I give him credit trying to do something about the downfall of the Orioles and getting Angelos out. It's better then nothing.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998




  3. #18

    Re: WNST Pity Party

    I guess BirdBrain (seems fairly appropriate) didn't really listen much this morning.

    So I'll give you all the EXACT reason for our thoughts this morning and then once you are equipped with the facts, you are welcome to post your criticisms and/or support for what we said.

    We were not upset with people for criticizing the rally on 9/21. We field phone calls every day from people who are "against it" in some way, shape or form. If you think the rally is a bad idea, call in. If you think we're mistreating the Orioles, call in. If you want to criticize, call in.

    Our topic today was based on the fact that people (Baltimore Sun.com and O's hangout to name two) have posted messages saying they SUPPORT the rally and its concept but will NOT attend the event on 9/21 because they think it's unfair that WNST has attached its name to the rally and could, somehow (no one has told us how yet), actually benefit from such involvement. There are numerous people "out there" who think "something needs to be done" relative to the Orioles but haven't come up with an original idea in their life. And then they have the balls to say, "Your idea is a good one but I don't think you should benefit from having the good idea." Huh?

    The show this morning was not a pity party. You are absolutely welcome to NOT support the rally and you can call the show tomorrow morning and voice your displeasure with the event.

    What baffles me is how people who consider themselves sports people and/or marketing experts would post something and say, "I'm not going to the rally because I think it's a disgrace that WNST has attached its name to it." How the hell else do we get the word out? WBAL isn't promoting a rally. WJFK isn't promoting a rally. The Examiner isn't promoting a rally. The PressBox isn't promoting a rally. None of the TV stations are promoting the rally. Most of those people are in bed with the Orioles and are petrified to do anything like this. We are putting this event on and in order to "spread the word" and get people to hear about it, don't we have to promote it through our radio station? If we don't promote the rally we're putting together, how on earth is anyone going to find out about it?

    That was the point this morning. BirdBrain didn't hear the whole show, evidently, or just decided to come up with an agenda that favored his/her position without being fair.

    Now, armed with the FACTS, you can flame away if you like and I will gladly digest your thoughts and use them on the air tomorrow morning if applicable.

    DF




  4. #19

    Re: WNST Pity Party

    Like CamdenYard said earlier in this thread, Angelos will not do anthing as a result of any outside pressure.

    I'm going. I don't know what it will do but sitting on our asses and NOT going to games has accomplished what? I don't know what the impact will be but media folks in town know about it and my only hope is that national media pick it up and show 5000 O's fans wearing purple in the left field seats chanting for Cal Ripken to own the team. If any of you choose to do nothing but bitch about the messenger then offer up something as an option.




  5. #20

    Re: WNST Pity Party

    Quote Originally Posted by BaltimoreRon
    We can only hope that there is some fallout from the rally. Nestor has alluded to the fact that certain media outlets are or will be involved. I can only assume that as the group of people involved gets larger, so does the possibility of local and/or national coverage. That is why, folks, someone who owns his own radio station is the perfect conduit for this type of rally. What is so hard to grasp about this?

    Anyone got a better plan short of an accurately tossed Molotov cocktail to the owner's box? (Preferably when the owner is in said box, of course. And standing up so you can spot him).
    Exactly!

    Actually, there WILL be national media coverage. Nestor wasn't born yesterday, I am sure he has connections. I even saw an advertisement for it last night on ESPN while watching the football game, as well as Comcast Sportsnet a week earlier.

    Even if after all of this, Angelos doesn't sell the team, at least this community came together to do something about their disgust with the Orioles. Not showing up isn't working. Imagine if something like this could have been done for the Colts back in 1983.




  6. #21

    Re: WNST Pity Party

    Brandon -- yes, the empty seat ploy can definitely be deemed a failure.

    I voted for Steven Miles today because the other guy works for Angelos. That's how much I loathe Angelos.

    I was there the night of 2131, when Angeloser (aka Meat Stacker) began his interminable speech. When the fans began to boo (deservedly), he looked startled and confused -- he didn't get it. That, unfortunately, is the story of his ownership tenure.

    (Now off to google Molotov Cocktail.)
    She had me at "Hell, NO!"




  7. #22

    Re: WNST Pity Party

    Drew, I support the rally and I have no problems with NST's name on it but please, can't you just destroy the Nestor "life story" tapes & tell him it was an accident.

    The "poor boy from Dundalk" who went to 40 games a year schtick puts a lot of people off. As does the constant rehashing of his "glory days" covering rock bands & other stuff that has nothing to do with sports. Just being honest.




  8. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland
    Posts
    1,179

    Re: WNST Pity Party

    "What baffles me is how people who consider themselves sports people and/or marketing experts would post something and say, "I'm not going to the rally because I think it's a disgrace that WNST has attached its name to it." How the hell else do we get the word out? WBAL isn't promoting a rally. WJFK isn't promoting a rally. The Examiner isn't promoting a rally. The PressBox isn't promoting a rally. None of the TV stations are promoting the rally. Most of those people are in bed with the Orioles and are petrified to do anything like this. We are putting this event on and in order to "spread the word" and get people to hear about it, don't we have to promote it through our radio station? If we don't promote the rally we're putting together, how on earth is anyone going to find out about it? "

    Totally agree. I think what WNST is doing with this rally is an excellent idea. My only criticism is why they decided to wait until September? It should have been done much sooner.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!




  9. #24

    Re: WNST Pity Party

    There were a thousand other ways to promote this thing using the station that didnt have to involve 1 hr per day of Nestors life story,thats what people have a problem with.He should have just put it up on the web,and if people wanted to read it they could.I love listening to NST and dont really like 1300,and when that stuff comes on it is just irritating as hell.lets leave the talking during the day to Drew,Terry,Bob,rob and Jeramy and stop interrupting SPORTS TALK to mix in an autobiography of the station owner.




  10. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Catonsville
    Posts
    200

    Re: WNST Pity Party

    Quote Originally Posted by df1570
    What baffles me is how people who consider themselves sports people and/or marketing experts would post something and say, "I'm not going to the rally because I think it's a disgrace that WNST has attached its name to it." How the hell else do we get the word out? WBAL isn't promoting a rally. WJFK isn't promoting a rally. The Examiner isn't promoting a rally. The PressBox isn't promoting a rally. None of the TV stations are promoting the rally. Most of those people are in bed with the Orioles and are petrified to do anything like this. We are putting this event on and in order to "spread the word" and get people to hear about it, don't we have to promote it through our radio station? If we don't promote the rally we're putting together, how on earth is anyone going to find out about it? DF
    Exactly, no-one else cares enough to put something like this together. I will be there wearing a plain black shirt, or the Free the Birds shirt if there are any for sale on gameday.

    On a second topic. Drew I heard you explanation of the moon series, and I ageree that it brings back memories of the birds from the 70's (I'm 41), but I don;t think it needs to run as a 20 part series. Like the caller this morning after hearing about 3 or 4 of them, I had had enough, and now I just switch the channel when they come on. Especially now that the Raven's season has started I would rather hear the game re-hashed 50 times than more on the early years.
    Section 106 from start to finish!




  11. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Parkville (like Bob)
    Posts
    1,559
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: WNST Pity Party

    Regarding WNST getting publicity or whatever out of this, who cares. They are setting it all up and doing the work so why not? It's a non-issue.

    I hear a lot of "Nestor is setting up the rally by describing his love for baseball." If you people have been listening and hearing constant stories about partying with Van Halen and other meaningless crap you wouldn't be saying that.

    It's ridiculous and totally unnecessary. I was all for the rally at first and was impartial to Nestor, but now its finished for me. It's pretty sad and frustrating when you want to listen to Bob Haynie and his show is cutoff to hear about Nestors pop. Why don't we use that time for people to write their own stories about past Orioles baseball memories instead of hearing the same old crap from Nestor every day? He could even read those stories since he is in love with the sound of his own voice.

    How can you say "separate your feelings for Nestor" when he is sponsoring the rally? It would be like saying to a die hard Republican who opposes the war that he should separate his feelings for the Democrats and protest in DC. Never gonna happen.




  12. #27

    Re: WNST Pity Party

    My point Drew, is that people out there will use their disdain for Nestor to take shots at the station and their involvement. That is what I dont think you take into consideration. I think you don't realize the volume of folks out there who dislike Nestor and as a result, use that as a weapon against anyone or anything attached to him.




  13. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Parkville (like Bob)
    Posts
    1,559
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: WNST Pity Party

    BTW, Nestors Aunt Jane loved the Padres. This story really motivated me to get down and Take back the birds! Mainly because she was a lot like Nestors pop.




  14. #29

    Re: WNST Pity Party

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenDomination
    BTW, Nestors Aunt Jane loved the Padres. This story really motivated me to get down and Take back the birds! Mainly because she was a lot like Nestors pop.

    This bothers you so much that you are now against the rally? Yet, you didn't turn the station, you continued to listen to the WHOLE thing. HIL-AR-I-OUS! Here's an idea, next time, change the channel.




  15. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Parkville (like Bob)
    Posts
    1,559
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: WNST Pity Party

    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac
    This bothers you so much that you are now against the rally? Yet, you didn't turn the station, you continued to listen to the WHOLE thing. HIL-AR-I-OUS! Here's an idea, next time, change the channel.
    Here's an idea, maybe I listen because it would be foolish to bash something if you haven't even heard it. Do you say that a movie sucks before you have seen it? I mean judging from your post you probably do, but that would be S-T-U-P-I-D.

    And I know what the Nestor lovers will say, that Nestor was just trying to connect his Padres stories with the Orioles or whatever. No, it was just time for him to ramble about his pop and his Aunt that no one cares about while name dropping left and right to let everyone know how cool he is because he spoke to Tony Gwynn. Give me a break. His enormous ego just bleeds from the airwaves. NEWSFLASH: We don't care about the Padres, Aunt Jane, or some fucking fish tacos. This is why I have a hard time separating the rally from Nestors ego.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland